Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WM caprice 2008 rear pump up shocks or airbags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
so u dont floor ur vs or do burnouts . every time u accelerate u twist ur chassis .whats the point in being pessimistic , dont hate help . i have done alot of vs mods , i can help or criticise like you . whats your point , are u a cop
No I don't I look after my investment and also want to keep my car and licence, I was trying to help just because you have a v8 doesn't change the facts of your car towing capacity of 2100kg braked capacity, so with a 16ft trailer which is around 725-800kg on its own then your tools and what ever vehicle your towing on top. A VE weighs 1,690–1,825 kg on its own so your not just putting yourself at risk but lives of others on the road. Cars have a towing capacity for a reason, hate to see the undercarriage pulling that wait everyday, I hate to see you in the news in a accident as you couldn't stop in time.. I'm not a cop just a concern citizen.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sadly, the compliance sticker on a VF's B pillar does not list the vehicle's Gross Vehicle Mass since it's not a legal requirement to do so on passenger vehicles. Stupid as the exclusion is, it doesn't help people who to that Holden plays coy with GVM specs and doesn't freely provide it when requested.

About the only specs Holden provide is kerb weight, tow capacity and rear axle load.

And you can be reasonably certain the Holden makes it sound like the vehicle can tow a big rig by calculating the vehicles payload is at a bare minimum (empty vehicle and just the driver). What this means is that as you throw in three passengers and their luggage into your car, the tow capacity would be correspondingly reduced. As such, i'd say that any manufacturer specified vehicle towing capacity must be reduced by at least 300 kgs to cater for ones fat mates when going on that trip.

Worse still, many look to superlift shocks as a solution to gain a level ride, which usually means the Tow Ball Mass is well in excess of that assumed by the manufacturer. This excess should then cause a further reduction that must be acounted for in tow capacity but sadly many don't understand or don't care so end up well above the legal towing limit. And in all likely hood, the rear axle load is also exceeded.

What must be considered is the TBM is recomended to be between 5-10% of the legal towable trailer mass. As such, a TBM would and should not result in the car draging it's bum as it tows (an indication of either poor loading on teh trialer or overloading of the trailer or both). This TBM % is basically designed to allow for a safe and stable trailer/caravan/ect to be towed and those that don't folow it do so at their own and other road users peril .

Lots of web sites dedicated to towing caravans safely so if one is not sure, google or ring Vicroads :cool:

Last i looked at the towbar specs for a VF commoder, the trailer and it's content shouldn't be more that 2100kgs which implies a maximum TBM of 210kgs. But it's still a balancing game due to rear axle loads and carry capacity playing with TBM.

But i think the OP isn't at all concerned about such legalities as he thinks a V8 will solve all towing trailers. But i hope he does drop by a weigh bridge and get the axle loads front and back measured as well as the trailer's axle load. He may be surprised how overloaded he is. Then hopefully he can ajust his towing loads or get a haevier more capable vehicle to tow what he needs.

That way OP may avoid the issue i recently saw in a picture on another thread where a utes axles failed. I'll add that pic if i can find it ;)

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
[QUOTE="Skylarking,

You thinking of this one I posted a few days back,
XlahVHc.jpg

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ yep that's the one but probably better to edit your post and move your attached picture outside the quoted part so it's easier for others to see ;)

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just one more point I hope your towbar is class 4 3500kg rating not the class 3 Hayman Reese 1600kg or worse class 2 1200kg.

CRAZYDOG

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM CAPRICE V8
I posted a link to the VF accessory instalation manual in a thread related to Holden's superlift shock absorbers. This manual describes the installation of such absorbers but i believe they are no longer available from Holden spare parts.

If i locate the link to the thread discussing these shock absorber, i'll add it here for completeness. Original credit for posting the link to the accessory manual goes to @scozz76's post where i found it ;)
hi thanks i found it . http://www.mediafire.com/file/h89sagkg9eif3kg/Holden_VF,WN_Accessories_Installation_Manual.pdf
at least i have part no for superlift . no wonder im having trouble finding them as u say no longer available . still need a lead to where i can get them . but thanks

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The trailer is front heavy ,even when empty . that's the trailer i've got , i have to work with it

Can you move the weight around on the trailer to balance out the tow ball weight?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@CRAZYDOG, no envy and no trolling on my part. It’s just that I’ve known a few friends that have towed too much weight behind their car and gotten into grief, one of them big time and lucky to still be alive.

Towing is not about vehicles being ‘built to drive hard’ but about correct loading, staying within manufacturers weight limits and driving in a considerable manner towards other road users while being very smooth and controlled with your vehicle inputs. An attitude of ‘built to drive hard’ and towing isn’t a good mix o_O

As I’ve stated, exceeding towball weight so that the car drags it’s bum on the ground would likely result in you exceeding the rear axle loads (which at some point will see your wheels come off).

With respect to availability of superlift shocks, I suspect they are no longer available possibly because Holden determined many were using them to exceed their vehicles tow limits and so they came to the conclusion they simply didn’t want liability headaches (or they were a poor seller and not worth the trouble). Only the bods at Holden will know which one is try.

As to your trailer, why is it so towball heavy when unloaded? Is it a self build where the wheels are placed too far back? Have you discussed this with the seller? Can this nose heavy bias be corrected by moving the load as @lmoengnr asks?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
lol id hate to go to one of your parties .you are both boring and have strayed far from what i asked about.i dident say i put cars on it or a v8 will fix all , sounds like envy .or your trolling . and one more point why do u lose ur licence ,are u stupid ,use a race track its legal .holdens are built to drive hard , there not ford that blow up . u must have a very rare holden commodore for u to baby yours . lol life is to short mash that pedal.
You didn't say use a race track be more specific, hoon driving these days result of crushed or impounded car and a automatic loss of licence. What's the point of towing a 16ft trailer around if your not attending to use it? And why don't you here my advice by putting airbags in the springs you can pump them up to suit, its your loss in the end if you don't want to lesson to advise then don't ask for it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Towing capacity explained in detail

Status
Not open for further replies.