Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WN2 Caprice factory exhaust

Willm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina
I am just curious is the exhaust system in the wn2’s the same as the V6 VF2 commos. As it looks the exact same as my mums VF2 V6 Calais and what’s on VF2 SV6 Utes. Like it’s that quite it’s a joke. So I feel as tho it’s a V6 system. Does anyone know the answer as the wn2 didn’t get bimodel and it isn’t quad tipped like Wn1’s

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Does anyone know the answer as the wn2 didn’t get bimodel
The Caprice WN was positioned on the luxury side of the equation so the factory exhaust would have always been designed to be quiet and not offensive to the passengers within (whether it had quad or single tips).

Bimodal exhausts are primarily intended for petrol heads :p and/or possibly for those with small junk who want/need to be seen and heard in a big powerful and noisy car :eek:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I am just curious is the exhaust system in the wn2’s the same as the V6 VF2 commos. As it looks the exact same as my mums VF2 V6 Calais and what’s on VF2 SV6 Utes. Like it’s that quite it’s a joke. So I feel as tho it’s a V6 system. Does anyone know the answer as the wn2 didn’t get bimodel and it isn’t quad tipped like Wn1’s
The exhaust mid sections are all basically the same diameter, 2.25". Just the mufflers vary.
The ute and Caprice mid-sections are 96mm longer than the sedans and wagons.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Except for bimodal mufflers, the VF2 SV6 and SS Ute exhausts are the same construction and interchangeable. WN2 rear mufflers are single outlet and look like SV6 tips, likely the same mufflers.

Willm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina
The Caprice WN was positioned on the luxury side of the equation so the factory exhaust would have always been designed to be quiet and not offensive to the passengers within (whether it had quad or single tips).

Bimodal exhausts are primarily intended for petrol heads :p and/or possibly for those with small junk who want/need to be seen and heard in a big powerful and noisy car :eek:
Yeah but wm and wn1 are wud exist and way louder

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah but wm and wn1 are wud exist quad exit and way louder
In a luxury car, quiet is much better so maybe it took Holden a while to wake up to that fact?

Quiet exhaust are also better for more mature boy racers since they can fang around public roads without being heard from 5 kms away… just makes sense on many fronts…

But the hoons who love to spin wheels and do donuts are a different breed and I don’t think they’ve matured so not much can help them :eek: Yes it’s an unpopular view especially on this forum but I hate being woken by idiot hoons and their noisy exhausts in the middle of the night:mad:

PS: a nice muted v8 burble is ok as it isn’t “noise”, so I’m not really 122 years old yet :p

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
In a luxury car, quiet is much better so maybe it took Holden a while to wake up to that fact?

Quiet exhaust are also better for more mature boy racers since they can fang around public roads without being heard from 5 kms away… just makes sense on many fronts…

But the hoons who love to spin wheels and do donuts are a different breed and I don’t think they’ve matured so not much can help them :eek: Yes it’s an unpopular view especially on this forum but I hate being woken by idiot hoons and their noisy exhausts in the middle of the night:mad:

PS: a nice muted v8 burble is ok as it isn’t “noise”, so I’m not really 122 years old yet :p

I get what you're saying, I'm also too old and well and truly over that late night hooning and noisy exhausts.

I do it in the middle of the afternoon before feeding the chooks, having me tea, dropping my teeth in a glass of water then off to bed, all before the sun goes down and makes it too difficult for me to see.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I'm not a fan of noise as it's typically associated with a lousy note and even with race car exhausts, my muffler configurations are larger than most to emphasise note over a racket likely to ping the Db meter and cop a noise disqualification. Many times over the years, I've heard people on the pit wall at circuit races commenting how good my cars sound and I find that extremely satisfying.

With a long-standing exhaust note obsession, I got my wife to drive my then stock Redline Ute up the road with the bimodal's open and give a bit of a squirt and although the noise level was pretty good and sounded like a V8, the note I thought was garbage, too raspy, no depth just awful! It's not surprising as the bimodal muffler is actually a rear muffler bypass as the tubing inside on the valve outlet is virtually solid pipe. A deep smooth note takes quite a large body rear muffler with perforated tubes and fibreglass packing and I cut the bimodals open and re-configured the internals.

The end result along with HSV 340 headers, Maloo midpipe and modified x-pipe and custom 2.5" resonators replacing the 2.25" hotdogs, the Ute isn't much louder than the stock bimodal setup, but the note is magic, deep, ultra smooth and refined and still looks relatively stock from the rear. Most bolt on's I think are too loud and droney or the note is lousy for what my ears need to hear in the car and externally.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
all before the sun goes down and makes it too difficult for me to see.
I first discovered eyesight deterioration tig welding where suddenly I'd lost the knack; welds were crap and I was running offline. I blamed the welder initially and then realised I couldn't see the job properly, just a green glow in the welding helmet and no definition. In went to BOC to buy a new welding helmet and guy recommended one that'll take correction lenses to magnify the work. That fixed my welding issues when I could see the job again! LED lights have helped postpone glasses for the moment anyway!