Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WN2 Caprice factory exhaust

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
That looks like a fun welding project, have a pair of stock ute mufflers I can throw on the Magnum whilst I weld and grind.
My E3 Maloo mid-section has a H pipe instead of the X pipe.
They're double skinned and a mongrel to weld. Mig worked best and then needed a good rub over with a flap disc. The welds are barely noticeable once finished with a coat of VHT header paint.

The HSV X-pipe has a lot of "pipe ring" and sounds like an exhaust leak under load. It's also too big in the crossover and note wise, turns a dual exhaust into single system type of note. The inverted merge collector I replaced it with, has a 1 7/8" crossover and sounds more like an H-pipe with more separation mid-range than a typical X-pipe note, but still scavenges as an X-pipe at higher RPM.

With a road car exhaust and I've dyno tested this so many times, X or H pipes make no difference over full dual if the exhaust is sized correctly and it's more a note changing tool than a performance advantage.

20210825_031640 (2).jpg

Last edited: