Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Won't stay in first gear, vn 5sp v6

holdensmychoice

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Berlina 5sp 3.8
Hi guys, Have an issue thats just started recently but gotten bad, The car will not stay in first gear. everytime i go to take off it just goes bang and pops out of first so im forced to take off in 2nd. if i take off super slow with next to no revs it wont pop out. Once the clutch is all the way out i can take off as hard as i like its only while im releasing the clutch it pops out. Even if i hold the gearstick in first hard and take off it pops out from the box still. Anybody know what this could be? I replaced the gearbox oil with just over 2 litres of new stuff and put additive in it but it only helped a little bit. Every other gear is fine. Cheers

p.s clutch is brand new only replaced few months ago.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
What's the gearbox mount like?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
very likely the pre load synchro spring/s broken/popped off in the syncro sleeves that lock the gear to the sleeve when you select the gear inside the gearbox or associated parts or the gear needs backgrinding/ replacing badly
explodedgearbox1.jpg

gearboxpartnames1.jpg

Last edited:

holdensmychoice

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Berlina 5sp 3.8
very likely the pre load synchro spring/s broken/popped off in the syncro sleeves that lock the gear to the sleeve when you select the gear inside the gearbox or associated parts or the gear needs backgrinding/ replacing badly
ahh ok, thanks for that. Wondering if it's worth getting a transmission place to have a look or just finding another tranny.