Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

worth modding?

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by krsta, Jul 26, 2006.

1. krsta

krsta Guest

hey guys and gals i have vs commodore shes my first car done a few things exterior wise but since its only an ectotec 3.8 alot of people have been tellin me its not worth modding and that you cant do much with em is this tru anyone have any thoughts?

2. sircruisealotVS

sircruisealotVS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ LS1 Calais
    well as the saying goes..."speed is a question of money, how fast do you want to go?"
    the ecotec is a great engine, and anyone who says otherwise is being pig-headed (because they will most likely tell you to get a v8).
    you have heaps of options with modding the ecotec and more and more performance shops are realising their potential these days.
    how much money you have/want to spend will help to determine a course of action, but for most people, simply freeing up some airflow is a good starting point and the ecotec responds well to it.
    fitting a 2 1/2" catback exhaust, and a cai (cold air intake) with hi-flow air filter will do this. after that its hard to recommend where to go as i dont know what you want to achieve and what kind of budget you have.
    but things like high ratio roller rockers, shift kits, 3.45 diff gears, chip..etc..
    are possibilities.

3. VR_Project

VR_Project New Member

Members Ride:
    MWS Improved VS Ute
    ecotec motors are great starting motors for modification, with 147kw base line power you cant go wrong!

as sircruisealotVS said, there are simple mods ranging from a 2.5' exhaust system ranging to a kit for a full 4.2litre stroker (good for 220kw) and turbo/blower packages

its up to you (and unfortunately your wallet) as to how far you go...the possibilities are endless!

4. holden007

holden007 VRII

Members Ride:
    Subaru Liberty
    The standard mods are ok like air filter, 2.5' catback etc, but if you want to go beyond and achieve alot of power, if your engines done 200,000k's on the clock, you have to do a whole heap of things so that the engine can survive under the new power, as VR_Project said, I prefer to get a 4.2ltr V6 stroker with turbo, whole new engine. But as mentioned above it all comes to money.

5. krsta

krsta Guest

all sounds pretty good starting to see the light of the v6 now all i gutta do is save haha thou ill start off small, i do have a pod mounted though i am not too sure wether its doing its job appart from the hissing noise, ill defineately go the exaust system shes a tad quiet for my liking =p, thanks for the ideas really starting to see the potential for it now

6. sircruisealotVS

Members Ride:
    VZ LS1 Calais
    with the pod, chuck a heat shield (cheap enough to buy from autobarn, supercheap.etc..) around it, that will improve its effectiveness.

7. krsta

krsta Guest

thanks for the heads up with the heat sheild will do

8. TheForgotten

TheForgotten only human......

Members Ride:
    VR EXEC
    HAHAHA v6's are fantastic. do you read SC? fastest v6 in oz has cracked into the 9's, running 500RWHP daily drivable

9. VR_Project

VR_Project New Member

Members Ride:
    MWS Improved VS Ute
    any links to see the car and/or its mod list... that would be interesting ;)

10. TheForgotten

Members Ride:
    VR EXEC
    can't find the new one... go out and buy the magazine and you get a free dvd showing it in action, plus an interview with the owner/builder David Wilzig

11. TheForgotten

Members Ride:
    VR EXEC
    here's a timeslip...
    ecotec rebuilt, twin turbo, nos (to minimise turbo lag) c4 auto.
    EDIT: it's hard to read, but it's the left lane

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  12. krsta

krsta Guest

ive been reading the forums and it seems the ks on the car play a factor when modding the engine. ive got 200ks on mine is der anything i should do b4 i start going for more power ?

13. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    It all depends on what you want to achieve. 1st step nomatter whatever you have is to decide what you want to end up with. A circuit racer, drag racer or just a street cruiser??

I still wonder why people mod cars just for the sake of it with no thought of what they want to end up with.

Reaper

14. TheForgotten

Members Ride:
    VR EXEC
    200 thou? I'd recommend a rebuild, if you want power, you must decide on force fed or n/a, as this determines the components used in the rebuild

15. krsta

krsta Guest

well since its only my first car i dont wna go nuts on it just want sumfin decent enuf to get me by for another 3 years till i cn legally drive a v8 lol, i was thinkin an exaust system wid extracters nd just doing a few exterior mods

16. VPioneer

VPioneer New Member

Members Ride:
    VP commodore executive wagon
    lol man we arent allowed to drive performance V6's either...bs i say...i heard in nz you get your full licence at 17 and no tarrifs on jap cars so everyone drives turbos..wtf ay..why cant we be like that

17. sircruisealotVS

Members Ride:
    VZ LS1 Calais
    new zealand is weird though man, the cops dont even carry guns...
    i dont think we'd be doin ourself any favours letting "kids" drive performance turbo's when they've only just got their licence.

18. ruredi

ruredi AVGJO3

Members Ride:
    '12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
    Look at the Road accident toll and the percentage of how many young people are on it and you will get your answer...:yeah:

19. krsta

krsta Guest

hey has ne one taken off the sripe thing that goes round the whole car myn is an ugly grey colour just wondering if neone has taken them off and if so how was it done and are the ne draw backs to look out for such as paint peeling

20. sircruisealotVS

Members Ride:
    VZ LS1 Calais
    a commonly attempted job, its not particularly hard to get the moulds off...its the sikaflex underneath that holds them on thats the bitch.
    the moulds usually just peel off after you get the end up (just use your hands, or something like fishing line to pry it up) then you'll notice a black urethane called sikaflex left behind in places.
    to get rid of this you need to have alot of patience, take off all the larger pieces you can get with your hands, then use a pin-stipe remover/caramel wheel to get the rest off...finish with wax and grease remover to get any residue.
    there's plenty of threads about this, so have a search if you want to find out some more.