Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

worth modding?

K

krsta

hey guys and gals i have vs commodore shes my first car done a few things exterior wise but since its only an ectotec 3.8 alot of people have been tellin me its not worth modding and that you cant do much with em is this tru anyone have any thoughts?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
well as the saying goes..."speed is a question of money, how fast do you want to go?"
the ecotec is a great engine, and anyone who says otherwise is being pig-headed (because they will most likely tell you to get a v8).
you have heaps of options with modding the ecotec and more and more performance shops are realising their potential these days.
how much money you have/want to spend will help to determine a course of action, but for most people, simply freeing up some airflow is a good starting point and the ecotec responds well to it.
fitting a 2 1/2" catback exhaust, and a cai (cold air intake) with hi-flow air filter will do this. after that its hard to recommend where to go as i dont know what you want to achieve and what kind of budget you have.
but things like high ratio roller rockers, shift kits, 3.45 diff gears, chip..etc..
are possibilities.

VR_Project

Reaction score
Members Ride
MWS Improved VS Ute
ecotec motors are great starting motors for modification, with 147kw base line power you cant go wrong!

as sircruisealotVS said, there are simple mods ranging from a 2.5' exhaust system ranging to a kit for a full 4.2litre stroker (good for 220kw) and turbo/blower packages

its up to you (and unfortunately your wallet) as to how far you go...the possibilities are endless!

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
The standard mods are ok like air filter, 2.5' catback etc, but if you want to go beyond and achieve alot of power, if your engines done 200,000k's on the clock, you have to do a whole heap of things so that the engine can survive under the new power, as VR_Project said, I prefer to get a 4.2ltr V6 stroker with turbo, whole new engine. But as mentioned above it all comes to money.

K

krsta

all sounds pretty good starting to see the light of the v6 now all i gutta do is save haha thou ill start off small, i do have a pod mounted though i am not too sure wether its doing its job appart from the hissing noise, ill defineately go the exaust system shes a tad quiet for my liking =p, thanks for the ideas really starting to see the potential for it now

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
with the pod, chuck a heat shield (cheap enough to buy from autobarn, supercheap.etc..) around it, that will improve its effectiveness.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
krsta said:
hey guys and gals i have vs commodore shes my first car done a few things exterior wise but since its only an ectotec 3.8 alot of people have been tellin me its not worth modding and that you cant do much with em is this tru anyone have any thoughts?
HAHAHA v6's are fantastic. do you read SC? fastest v6 in oz has cracked into the 9's, running 500RWHP daily drivable

VR_Project

Reaction score
Members Ride
MWS Improved VS Ute
any links to see the car and/or its mod list... that would be interesting ;)

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
can't find the new one... go out and buy the magazine and you get a free dvd showing it in action, plus an interview with the owner/builder David Wilzig