Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WTF is going on with kids/teens today?

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
As said above. It's a lack of respect.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
I've heard that back in the day here in NSW, cops would take **** kickers or trouble makers out to a quiet place and give them a bit of a bashing if they stepped out of line.

And apparently that worked pretty well, because from then on the young bucks starting **** in the streets and mouthing off began to have a bit more fear when they stepped out the front door for a night out.

But now of course, technology being readily available can be used in a certain way for proof that will land you in a big pile of **** for that sort of thing.

Perfect example as to why I've always thought that fear and psychical punishment (to a degree) was the best way to sort out kids with bad tempers and a dirty mouth. But like somebody else said, that's now considered "child abuse".

You can't reason with children that don't understand that what they are doing is rude or wrong. Give them a yell, put them in a corner. They do it again then give them a smack on the bum and send them to the corner for an hour. With the association of pain and breaking the rules, they'll learn right quick that with doing something wrong will lead to undesirable results.

As kids do, they push boundaries to see how far they can go, and once they understand that all you get for doing something wrong is a "don't do that", the boundary seems limitless, and there's a false understanding of what happens when you do something wrong in the real world. Eventually Timmy grows up bashing people because the punishment for doing what you feel like has never been that bad. Oh I'm going to clean up the city for six months? That's not too bad. Oh I'm going to be going to a place with food and shelter that might be better than my house filled with people like me? That's not too bad.

Oh I've been bashed by a group of people like me because they felt like it and I'm now paralyzed? Help me government.

Schools don't help much either. You do something bad and you get "suspended". Suspension in my book is go home and play video games for a week because your parents aren't home to punish you.

I say the cane is due to be brought back, get them while they're young.

krylothe

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
I've heard that back in the day here in NSW, cops would take **** kickers or trouble makers out to a quiet place and give them a bit of a bashing if they stepped out of line.

And apparently that worked pretty well, because from then on the young bucks starting **** in the streets and mouthing off began to have a bit more fear when they stepped out the front door for a night out.

But now of course, technology being readily available can be used in a certain way for proof that will land you in a big pile of **** for that sort of thing.

Perfect example as to why I've always thought that fear and psychical punishment (to a degree) was the best way to sort out kids with bad tempers and a dirty mouth. But like somebody else said, that's now considered "child abuse".

You can't reason with children that don't understand that what they are doing is rude or wrong. Give them a yell, put them in a corner. They do it again then give them a smack on the bum and send them to the corner for an hour. With the association of pain and breaking the rules, they'll learn right quick that with doing something wrong will lead to undesirable results.

As kids do, they push boundaries to see how far they can go, and once they understand that all you get for doing something wrong is a "don't do that", the boundary seems limitless, and there's a false understanding of what happens when you do something wrong in the real world. Eventually Timmy grows up bashing people because the punishment for doing what you feel like has never been that bad. Oh I'm going to clean up the city for six months? That's not too bad. Oh I'm going to be going to a place with food and shelter that might be better than my house filled with people like me? That's not too bad.

Oh I've been bashed by a group of people like me because they felt like it and I'm now paralyzed? Help me government.

Schools don't help much either. You do something bad and you get "suspended". Suspension in my book is go home and play video games for a week because your parents aren't home to punish you.

I say the cane is due to be brought back, get them while they're young.
Mate I'm 25 so to young to have experienced the cane at school but I reacon bring back the cane! also return rights back to the parents, a good smack on the arse is a perfectly reasonable punishment for a child (and I am thankful my parents did so as I was a **** of a kid even with such punishments and hate to think of the person I could of become without it) kids these days have no respect for their elders, teachers, each other or even their own family and I truly hate to think what will become of this world and the older generation when they come to power!

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Mate I'm 25 so to young to have experienced the cane at school but I reacon bring back the cane! also return rights back to the parents, a good smack on the arse is a perfectly reasonable punishment for a child (and I am thankful my parents did so as I was a **** of a kid even with such punishments and hate to think of the person I could of become without it) kids these days have no respect for their elders, teachers, each other or even their own family and I truly hate to think what will become of this world and the older generation when they come to power!

As one who lived those times I can tell you it doesn't work.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
The parents are to blame.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
The kids have never gotten a smack in their life. When I was a kid the only that stopped us from doing the wrong thing was the fact that my dad got home at 6 and if mum told him what you did, the belt came off and you got 6 of the best

I'm only 22 but looking back now I'm proud to say that what he did was the right thing and I wouldn't ask him to take it back.

tony.iskra

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
Aussie and western culture has changed so much over the last 10-20 years. Fear of offending anyone stifles free expression. The PC brigade dominates broadstream media with headlines such as "Outrage over such and such's comments". People are forced to retract and apologise for comments or actions said in good faith and belief because this PC overculture sees anyone who can find exception become dominant. The easy out for anyone doing anything "wrong" is to portray themselves as a victim and shift blame to everyone else.
This is what our kids are learning through this myth being perpertrated over and over again. Individual responsibilty and accountability for negative actions can be successfully countered.
Unfortunately this myth keeps perpetrating itself and the individuals negative behaviour keeps escalating with each successful PC defense. They eventually do something so horrific and blatantly wrong that the law has to ultimately acknowledge that they are primarily responsible. We survey the historical highway wreckage and look sorrowfully at the missed opportunities.
We all need to step up, set the example and at every opportunity, and in every small way we will eventually stop this nonsense.

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
so from what age would be classified as the spoilt generation? even in the past few years its changed alot. when i was in year 8/9/10 the girls didn't dress up with all make up and crap like that and just wearing a t shirt. but fast forward maybe 4 years and the year 8/9/10 are dressing as 18/19 year olds :\

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I believe it's not only parents but also society and how we've come forward in such a short time.

When I was younger, if I stepped out of line, my arse would get kicked, I didn't eat my dinner and I'd sit there till it was gone, there was a few times I fell asleep in my corn,

Fear in my opinion is a good thing.

Girls now dress the way they do for two reasons, society says it's ok to dress on that manner, and a lot of the time (this is where society and today's day and age come in) parents don't know what's going on, both parents need to work a lot of the time to survive, where as when I was a little younger, that wasn't the case, I was bought up by my parents, mother was home and dad was home by 6 every day, they also spent time with me.

Today, with both parents working, and a lot of the time working late, or shift work and nights to get by, they're not home to teach, and spend time with they're kids anymore, they're bought up with other people who in most cases won't give a tap on the arse when the kids step out of line.

Also parents have no rights anymore, I'm dreading the day my daughter realizes this, right now she does as she's told or a tap on the arse and bed and she knows crying about makes it worse, and I hope this works in 10 years time.

Punishment for crime is far too soft on first time offenders, a slap on the wrist doesn't instill enough fear and they'll do it again because they can deal with the punishment, the book should be thrown at them and a decent punishment should be handed down. No slap on the wrist ****, I'm talking jail time, good behaviour bonds do nothing, as the saying goes, it's only illegal if caught!

All in all, it comes down to this,

Punishment doesn't fit the crime,
Parents have less rights,
Society says it's ok
And parents are working twice as hard and twice as much to make ends meet, they're not bringing up they're child, society is.

I say bring back Capital punishment, at least then at least someone hassle rights than today's kids,

And just to answer one of the last questions, make up and short skirts were starting to come into fashion when I left school 10 years ago.

Sent from your god, for you to worship and give money