Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WTF is going on with kids/teens today?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Dealing with miscreant youths is , sadly a growing part of my job , these kids know they have rights and a lot of them play on that , when a 15 year old steals a car at 3 o clock in the morning with his drop kick friends , crashes the car , the parents might say , oh you know he is really a good kid at home , are you serious ?? , if he is he such a good boy what in the name of god was he doing out at 3 o' clock in the am stealing cars , it comes down to setting boundaries , and teaching basic courtesy , and respect and that , comes from the parents . I have found giving them a bit of a scare can work , but some have no fear or respect for anything , let alone themselves .

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Total lack of discipline is the cause of all this. The civil libertarians that pushed for laws to be softened should be made accountable and jailed for the mayhem that they have created.
Some people say it is all part of organised chaos, that has been created by the big companies that run the world. They get us all fighting amongst ourselves so we are too busy to notice the changes that are put in place to make more money for the rich. After watching how our politicians have been carrying on lately with all their gender war crap. I am starting to beleive that organised chaos is part of their agenda.

Coaly69

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ SV8 Auto
Total lack of discipline is the cause of all this.

Absolutely. Old man only had to flog manners into me a coupla times before I learned to respect adults and rely on my morals for the choices I make. What's wrong with kids now? Nothing a good smack on the arse wouldn't have fixed years ago.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
this thread interests me. I'm 22 so I would have probably not so long ago (perhaps still?) fall into the category that you "oldies" describe. people of the older generation say that the parents are to blame for unruly youth. but then these same parents say "back in my day we got the stick for talking back" but then fail to do the same to discipline their own kids. kinda hypocritical if you ask me.

I wonder what you all where like when you where in your youth. but of course I bet you all did nothing wrong, you probably ate all af your vegetables and went to bed on time and never, ever talked back to mummy and daddy. /sarcasm

just remember too that it's the younger generation that will be fixing the older generation's ####ups, cleaning the environment that the older generation ruined and fighting the wars that the previous generation started.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The total lack of respect, thinking they have a right to everything, getting everything given to them....

This is one of the key contributors but it's not just the youth who have a total lack of respect....the example that a large part of adult society sets is a disgrace.

I say the cane is due to be brought back, get them while they're young.

Agree 100%...but not just while they're young. Corporal punishment for adult offenders wouldn't be half bad either.

...these same parents say "back in my day we got the stick for talking back" but then fail to do the same to discipline their own kids. kinda hypocritical if you ask me.

Back in the day it was more acceptable for parents to discipline their kids in that way (trust me I know first hand hairbrushes over the back of knuckles do wonders in terms of attitude adjustment).

The problem is today, parents rights to discipline have been severly erroded. I don't remember anyone telling me I had rights against being brought into line. The PC do gooders have a lot to answer for.

As a society, we reap what we sow and over the last 10+ years a lot of bad seed has been sown at all levels.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
this thread interests me. I'm 22 so I would have probably not so long ago (perhaps still?) fall into the category that you "oldies" describe. people of the older generation say that the parents are to blame for unruly youth. but then these same parents say "back in my day we got the stick for talking back" but then fail to do the same to discipline their own kids. kinda hypocritical if you ask me.

I wonder what you all where like when you where in your youth. but of course I bet you all did nothing wrong, you probably ate all af your vegetables and went to bed on time and never, ever talked back to mummy and daddy. /sarcasm

just remember too that it's the younger generation that will be fixing the older generation's ####ups, cleaning the environment that the older generation ruined and fighting the wars that the previous generation started.

When I was younger yes I did get into mischief but not to the extent of the crap done nowadays PLUS I RESPECTED MY ELDERS!!!!!

Biznatch303

Pew Pew Lasers
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR Ute/ 16 MQ Triton

I was a bit of a handful sometimes, hell yes i was. But i sure as #### didn't carry on like half the ########s today do.

I respected the coppers and elders.

Just remember it was the older generations hard work that got us where we are today, forefathers and familys fighting wars that we DID NOT start.

Can you even imagine what Australia would be like these days if the older generations had the attitude of todays??

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
My brother brought his 2 sons to my place a few years back for a family party. (He divorced some years previously when the kids were only young and never gave them any explanation why he walked out on them.) Our mum, who was around 74 at the time, was with us. The elder of the two sons was chastised by his father for saying something inappropriate in front of our mum, so he gave his old man some lip. Brother again tells him not to say inappropriate things and son repeats his lip. Mum then says to him not to speak to his father like that, so he turns to mum and gives her exactly the same crap.

That did it for me. I stood up, walked over to where he was sitting, and said that if I heard him utter one more impolite or inappropriate thing to his grandmother, he was going to get a fifty yard flying start on the way to the railway station courtesy of my right foot. I told him to immediately apologise to his grandmother and mean it. (Screw his father - he's a weak bastard at the best of times. I just wanted my nephew to apologise to mum.) He did, and he he looked very embarassed afterwards because he had been pulled into line for the first time in years.

I found my brother blubbering in a bedroom a short while later, because he realised he couldn't handle his own kids and they had no respect for him.

He's the sort of parent responsible for what these young turds get up to. Walks out on them at a critical stage of their lives and resents having to pay maintenance for them. Probably lots more like him out there. The kids just do as they please because their parents either split up, live defacto relationships instead of marrying, or just don't give a rat's arse about where their kids are or what they are up to.