Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[WTF-SIX] VSII 6 Speed Manual Supercharged 4.2 Litre

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Hey dude I noticed you're running Nankang 235's...what do you think of them? Good tyre? Good traction? Low road noise?

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
Hey all,

Dannnn, whats going on with your car?

How's the progress on the motor going? Love the 19" SSV wheels too.
Haha update to follow, and yeah still loving the wheels!

Took a trip down to the engine builder on saturday, i wasnt expecting the motor to be quite finished, but it's not far off now. First time i've seen most of the parts with some progress made, pics to follow...

Heads have been ported with 3 angle valve grinds,
Image673.jpg

Image679.jpg

stainless valves have been fitted along with new valve guides as the valves have a slightly smaller stem diameter,
Image676.jpg

Image677.jpg

New valve springs installed, unsure of rating at the moment
Image674.jpg

Image675.jpg

block has been bored and honed,
Image688.jpg

bores clearanced to fit stroker crank, also needs a tunnel bore for the crank bearings, then to be decked.
Image689.jpg

Rollmaster double row timing chain
Image681.jpg

And finally got a look at the cam card. Anyone care to decipher it for me?
Image682.jpg

I think he's also got a hold of the wrong ARP main studs which i'll have to sort out :rolleyes:
Image683.jpg

Apart from that all that really has to happen is get the tunnel bore and decking done on the block (apparently to be completed in 2-3 weeks), take some final pics of components, then it can all finally go together! I know it's taken forever, but as long as it's all done properly and doesnt give me any problems, i know the wait will be worth it!

ahha i think i was talking bout the yellow strip lol cant remember now

Lol its all good, definately recommend them if you want something a little bit different!

hey mate just gotta say i love how much pride you take in your car like how you dont skip a job anywhere its all perfect. just wanting to know if the new sway bars felt any different?

Oh thanks heaps man! I've gotta do it all properly first time as i'm getting the hurry up from the mrs re saving for a house lol! That and I'm a firm believer in doing it right the first time!

In regards to the swaybars, i've only changed the rear one to an adjustable unit from whiteline, it's made a great difference in how the rear holds the road! Standard with the country pack suspension was a piss weak 16mm rear swaybar, it was terrible! I've got the whiteline rear set to the second firmest setting, and may adjust it to the stiffest setting when i can be bothered. Up front I havent swapped out the factory swaybar that's in it, but have added a nolathane strut brace which definately increased the front end rigidity (19's and brace feels better than when i had 18's without the brace), and nolathane s type swaybar links. Havent had a chance to feel what difference they made yet though, as the timing coincided perfectly with both strut mounts breaking :bang:... so thats gonna be $500 or so to get fixed!

Hey dude I noticed you're running Nankang 235's...what do you think of them? Good tyre? Good traction? Low road noise?

Hey man, ran 235/18's at a track day and they were awesome, in general nankangs are great in the dry in terms of traction and grip but leave a little to be desired in the wet, as theyre a harder compound than average i think. They're definately not a noisy tyre. Also they havent quite lasted as long as i'd have hoped (albeit everytime i get in the commo it's "spirited driving" time lol). I'll be looking elsewhere when it's time to change them though, to get an idea on what else is out there.

In other news, getting Phreddy to install true green LED footwell lighting both front and back, and completing the LED illumination up front by doing the aircon controls green, blue and red where appropriate.

Also considering painting the woodgrain on my series 2 calais door trims either satin chrome or Phreddy can do them in real carbon fibre. Dilemma is, satin chrome will fit in nicely with my new satin chrome 6 speed shifter (with satin chrome stitching), cluster dial surrounds, planned handbrake replacement and the fake carbon fibre steering wheel inserts i just painted satin chrome, but carbon fibre will look pretty mad i reckon, and quite unique. Opinions?

Cheers guys, hopefully i've got some good news coming in the next few weeks!

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
Hey man. Just took me forever to read that whole post on my phone at work. Motor is definitely looming good And finally getting there. Any luck with the combo yet? I'm really looking forward to breaking my neck off the lights when this is finished. I think carbon fibre on the door trims. Or you might be going too much silver and might look tacky. I've got a book to show you with heaps of different gauges that might help you decide on A new boost gauge.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
When it's all completed you'll have to get it on the dyno...what sort of power are you expecting from the rebuild?

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey man. Just took me forever to read that whole post on my phone at work. Motor is definitely looming good And finally getting there. Any luck with the combo yet? I'm really looking forward to breaking my neck off the lights when this is finished. I think carbon fibre on the door trims. Or you might be going too much silver and might look tacky. I've got a book to show you with heaps of different gauges that might help you decide on A new boost gauge.

Haha hey dude, didnt think about mobile-friendly-ness when i posted that up! Yeah it's felt like i was never gonna get it, but hopefully soon it'll be ready. No more luck on the van for sale yet, gonna advertise it in even more places this week. It really better have awesome torque off the line, can't be long now! I called Phreddy, he can do the carbon on the door trims for $200 all up, then i think i'd need to do a couple of other bits to tie it in a little. I didnt think twice about too much silver and looking tacky, but now you've got me thinking! I might do one woodgrain piece silver and throw it on the door trim and in the car and see how it ties in or if it's too much. If i come down to yours on the weekend i'd love to have a look at your book of gauges! There's one that i've got my eye on at the moment:

Daddy's SCP - Home of MadDad Performance / MadDad Exhausts for Subaru and BMW

Basically i'm after a decent brand but not too expensive, clear lens, stepper motor needle movement and at least able to illuminate green... and this is the closest i've found. I know they're designed to appear OEM in subaru's, but the rounded number style should also tie in nicely with the level 3 gauge numbers. Unless something else catches my eye, i'll probably go for this one.

jealous of the engine....

Haha Rich that's the impression i'm after! I promise i'll take you for a spin!

When it's all completed you'll have to get it on the dyno...what sort of power are you expecting from the rebuild?

Hey mate, yeah it will be getting a kalmaker dyno tune done on it as soon as the motor's installed. I'll be happy with a safe tune to get it run in, then go for a bit more power down the track. A combination like this, i've got no idea what it'll put out! The M90 isnt known for it's peak power capability, rather a good boost (no pun intended) to low end torque and drivability. I dont really mind if the power's not there at the moment (i predict around 170rwkw), as i plan to convert to either a big single or twin turbos, where i'll be gunning for more than 400rwkw. There was a small piece on a twin turbo ecotec stroker in a street commos mag a couple of months back that made 529rwhp (394rwkw) on only 14psi! The benefit of the extra cubes and stronger internals of a stroker means you can run more ignition timing with less boost to achieve the same result as more boost and less timing, a scenario more likely to come about on an internally stock motor, for example.

So my target is somewhere around 500kw at the motor, 400+kw at the wheels.

Should be interesting!

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Dan awsome easay, top marks.

btw, that cam is going to make the car sounds like even more of a beast!!! Put it this way, im looking at putting in a 226/220 cam, yours is 264/271!

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dan awsome easay, top marks.

btw, that cam is going to make the car sounds like even more of a beast!!! Put it this way, im looking at putting in a 226/220 cam, yours is 264/271!

Yay top marks! I hope you're not being sarcastic!

As for the cam, i've got no idea what all those numbers mean, i told him i wanted a cam to suit a turbo, not too aggressive but at the same time not too mild, oh and i think it's a regrind of the stock L67 cam. I think Camtech calls it a "stage 2 turbo cam". Dont forget this is in conjunction with yella terra 1.8:1 roller rockers. My engine builder said it wont be any lumpier than stock, rather smoother perhaps?

What's wrong with them?

Umm, there for a buick?

Yeah thats right, i think i've found the right part number, I called him today about it and he seems to think he's been sent the wrong ones too. The ones he was supposed to get are ARP 193-5401 "Pontiac Supercharged L67 Hex Stud Kit " but got those ones pictured above, 123-5401 "buick v6 series I". He's not tapping the block until he gets it back after the tunnel bore, so he's got some time to make sure he's got the right ones.

Anyways, put the sprayed steering wheel inserts in tonight... they were originally fake carbon fibre look but i sanded them back and sprayed them silver. I wasn't too sure how they'd look but I reckon they came up pretty nicely! Just hope the paint's hard wearing enough to last!

First pic is with the flash, then took another with night mode on which i think came out more pro-looking lol!
DSCF2428.jpg

DSCF2444.jpg

Wouldve been a nicer pic with footwell lighting and the centre console not being in bits, but that should be happening soon, Phreddy's doing the aircon controls with LED's and I already pulled out my old neons ready for LED footwell lighting.

Also, the mrs decided for me that $200 for carbon fibre inserts was a bit much, so i'll now either be spraying them silver or getting them trimmed in perforated black leather (also depending on price).

More news soon!

Last edited: