Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[WTF-SIX] VSII 6 Speed Manual Supercharged 4.2 Litre

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
Going great there mate. read thru the last two pages.. i dont even want to know what the cost of the engine and the 6 speed conversion was, i'm constantly like..... wow that combo is expensive haha.

The metal cat will always sound farty on a super six... all my mates with super sixes have metal cats and thats a characteristic thing. Even my worked n/a six with metal cats makes a farty sound lol

Hehe thanks mate, yeah it hasnt been cheap! But i'm glad to have done it all properly the first time around so far, nothing worse than coming back and redoing things subsequent times due to cutting corners initially.

Yeh still sounds farty lol, i'm not that fussed about it! I think it's quitened down a little bit, but still farty! Not overly so, not unbearable, just different!

Sounds like she'd have some go!

Haha it certainly does! I'll elaborate further below...

So the V8 dosent have a CAI!

Lol yeh it has one, it was getting clear lacquered on it in that pic... so now we've got 2 CAI's rofl!

Looking very very nice Dan, can't wait for the vids :)

Hehe thanks Leigh, yeah havent got any new vids yet, havent had the right opportunity yet! But hopefully soon!

This thing is off tap. puts a new definition into throwing you back in your seat. i knew it'd be good but you can never gauge how fast it will be till you plant your foot and skate the rear at any speed!

Haha and you said this when i hadnt revved it past 3500 (with a couple of exceptions)! I think i remember you saying somewhere along bells line on the way to the camp, "this thing is a beast, i love it" :)

5th gear in the wet maybe 6th?? :p

Not yet man, but i farkin hope not lol! Thatd be pretty insane!

I love wet, its good for so many things...

Thats what she said! :p

mate ive been watching this build for years looks great good work

Hey Matt, long time no hear! Yeah still kicking, thanks for the comments!

Nice cats.. LOL, Got a pic of them now?

Did you end up replacing the cat??

Found this and thought you might be interested...

A2A INTERCOOLER KIT FOR SUPERCHARGED V6 - Give your L67 Power and Torque !

Mmmm, indeed I do have a pic... the story behind it involves a massive water/mud splash that i drove through at the JC newnes camp. Mustve hit something quite substantial under the water, it really ripped the cat a new one!

20072010299.jpg

I was quite annoyed to have this happen to what is a 3 week old $340 cat! No i didnt end up replacing it, i'm not made of money! Instead, had my local exhaust bloke weld the hole up... $50 being a bit friendlier on the wallet than getting another brand new one...

20072010300.jpg

It's not pretty, but has done the trick!

As for the intercooler, i'll probably hold off until i go the turbo route. Although until then i cant rule out upping the boost and getting a retune and possibly go MAFless to keep me happy.

Why would he get that when he's planing to go TT?

I could do, but i think i'll wait!

awesome progress shots dude

Thanks heaps mate! It's become quite the habit, always having the camera/phone camera on hand any time i'm working on something!

Anyways small update time, I've notched up the first 1000kms on the brand new motor and dropped the oil again, this time putting in some mobil super 1000 15w40, which is still a full mineral, but now a multigrade. I'll be running this batch for 1000km before dropping it again and using the same stuff again until i get to 5000km.

The best bit about getting to the 1000km mark though (following advice i've been given and am following), is that i can now take it up to 5500rpm! Previous to this 1000km milestone i'd only gone there twice while Dick from Dick's Electronics had his diagnostics gear plugged in, to see how everything was running (it appeared i was getting a false knock around 2500rpm, which i hope i've since fixed). Actually i went to 5000, where Dick told me i was very nearly almost maxing out the MAF sensor! The relative ease that i'd done this has really blown me away, i thought it'd still be alright for a while! If i do max out the MAF, it'll knock in a bad way and start breaking **** internally, so until such time that i either go with a bigger MAF or get a MAFless tune done, i'll be revving it no higher than 5000rpm. It's next on the to do list!

But now i can really start to feel how it pulls almost the entire way through the rev range, and farrrk its a bit scary! Granted, my rear tyres are nearly in need of replacing, but if i mash the throttle while rolling along in first gear it just skates them (in the dry), same with second gear too i think (moreso in the wet)! I have found myself unexpectedly sideways coming out of roundabouts with a bootful even at the bottom of second (also in the dry), the low down torque is certainly something i've never experienced before! I think there has even been a moment where it skated in third gear on an only very slightly dusty unsealed road...

It's also now almost too easy to get to any speed limit which has been something i've had to keep an eye on! This doesnt help though that my speedo is still not working properly. It has something to do with the T56's speed sensor being different to the getrag's, and its more of an issue than just tweaking some settings on my speedo corrector. Having it not working has really been pissing me off! I've had to use my phone with a data logging tool and bluetooth GPS to get my speed reading... not even Mal Wood have been able to help me work out exactly what is causing the problem! I've run new wiring from speed sensor to ECU, changed polarity around, even tried a different ECU and still no luck! I really hope to have this sorted soon as its really getting on my nerves. Anyone with an idea about something i can try to get it working, please let me know!

I'm really loving the exhaust note up higher in the rev range, sounds and feels really strong! Now i really need to get a video up!

In other news, i've been waiting for many weeks for Mal Wood to get back to me about my T56 cross member, the one i was sent with the kit originally needed quite a bit of modifying to get it to even bolt up, and even after that, the reverse lockout solenoid was hitting on the trans tunnel. So Mal had set about developing a cross member that fit a bit better, and finally it arrived! Although not looking like much of a height difference in the pic, the under car difference was massive! The old mount had the gearbox sitting up way too high in the trans tunnel. The new one is the one at the front:

24072010308.jpg

So i go to bolt it up expecting no problems, and realise something is stopping the gearbox from coming down far enough to fit to the new cross member properly... the rear of the gearbox was now sitting on the chassis stiffener!

24072010311.jpg

Sighing to myself, i whip out the grinder (yet again...), and take to the chassis stiffener. The curve looks wonky, but this is due to the curve of the stiffener under the car. I ground off as much as i needed to create what was maybe a 10mm gap between stiffener and gearbox...

24072010312.jpg

I need to get a pic of it installed...

Anyway once i'd got this crossmember installed i could finalise the shifter situation inside the car, as i now knew where the shifter will be permanently sitting. Missions... I've got a VZ HBD 6 speed knob to fit to the shifter linkage... the knob uses a tongue and groove fitting, and the linkage i've got only has a screw fitting, and is also waay too long to either look good or for the boot to even reach the console. So getting out the grinder yet again, i shorten the stick linkage, grind a groove into it for the knob's tongue to fit into, and also grind some metal off the linkage bracket as it's coming in contact with the shifter console plate in the forward thrown gears (1,3,5,R). Sounds simple enough, but took me hours to get it to the point it's at now, and i'm still only 90% happy with it! I think it looks freaking good though!

You'll have to wait for pics too... :p

Anyway after this week's rego on my work van and associated (but unexpected) costs to bring it up to "roadworthy" condition, i'm quite broke! Not to worry though, i've sent off my activity statement for the last quarter and today dropped off my tax related stuff to the accountant so he can get me a big juicy return, which i've already got spent on a respray and the rest saving for a house... fun times ahead!

Dan :D

rogash

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 5 litre 5 speed
nice work mate sure has came along way haha very jealous :) love the yellow walls

nf_vrII

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Ford AU II Falcon
Nice vs mate! :rockon:

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Mate. This just gets better and better! You going to go down a body kit road, like SS lips or anything or is it just all on power for the moment?

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Mmmm, indeed I do have a pic... the story behind it involves a massive water/mud splash that i drove through at the JC newnes camp. Mustve hit something quite substantial under the water, it really ripped the cat a new one!

I was quite annoyed to have this happen to what is a 3 week old $340 cat! No i didnt end up replacing it, i'm not made of money! Instead, had my local exhaust bloke weld the hole up... $50 being a bit friendlier on the wallet than getting another brand new one...

I know what happened, lol, i was there.

Yeah, $50 sounds alot better than a new one..

Keep up the good work

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
Mmm this is going back a bit but anyway...

nice work mate sure has came along way haha very jealous :) love the yellow walls

Thanks mate, yeah theres not much that hasnt changed since i bought her over 4 years ago, but im not finished yet! As for the walls, ive only got the rear 2 left as i had to get 2 new tyres for rego. Havent made up my mind whether to go with the yellow again or maybe get red for a change! I'll decide once ive got another 2 new tyres...

The things i love about this car could not be counted on 100 hands.

Top stuff man, real nice VS (Y)

Thanks heaps Nathan, that really means a lot! I guess i must be doing something right!

Nice vs mate! :rockon:

Cheers mate!

got a video for you mate from last cruie.. i think you will quite pleased :)

Ohh thanks so much for linking me that vid Adam, thats pretty much the first time i've heard whats its like from outside the car! I think i also heard one of the other passengers catch the WTF syndrome lol!

Mate. This just gets better and better! You going to go down a body kit road, like SS lips or anything or is it just all on power for the moment?

Hehe thanks man! Yeah just sorta treading water at the moment before i can find the time to fix a few little niggles, but will be back into it soon!

Yeah i picked up an absolute steal of a full SS kit including front and rear bumpers with lips and bezels, sideskirts, a spoilered boot lid (which i'll offload), and genuine foggies for $600 quite a while ago. After i sort out a few things with the motor and box i'll be getting the whole car resprayed. Will be so good to have new paint on her!

I know what happened, lol, i was there.

Yeah, $50 sounds alot better than a new one..

Keep up the good work

Lol i know you were there Jack, but hopefully you're not the only one reading this thread haha!

Yeah it seems that the cat has been fixed for the time being!

Anyways, just been putting along the last few weeks as ive been really busy with other stuff on the weekends. But since last update i've managed to get the speedo working satisfactorily but not to a point that im 100% happy with it. I think the main problem is that the T56 box uses a speed sensor that has a different signal output type to what either the ECU or the gauge is expecting. I've had to use 2 speedo correctors chained together (one converts the signal and corrects it slightly, the other has fine tuned the signal so its good enough for the time being), to get the speedo accurate and even then, above certain speeds it becomes erratic and increasingly inaccurate. As it stands at the moment, i'm not happy with it.

So what i've decided to do is to replicate the original getrag speedo pickup which uses an external sensor and reluctor wheel. There's no space to mount it up near the rear of the gearbox so i will attempt to get a reluctor wheel made up that will fit onto the tailshaft to diff flange, and fix the speed sensor to a bracket mounted on the diff housing. This is only really a theory at the moment, i havent even had time to look under the car yet and determine whether i'll actually be able to work something out! Once i get somewhere on this (or fix things another way) i'll post up what i find.

All i've really had time to do is get the shifter linkage to a point where i'm happy with it, its still needed little bits of attention with the grinder etc etc since last i was operating on it, but now i think i've got it sorted! It does still sit a little further forward in neutral than it did with the getrag box, but perhaps thats something i can get Mal Wood to sort out for me at a later date. I might even take it to a machine shop somewhere local and show them what i'm after and see if they can do something. But for the moment, how i've got it now will do just fine!

DSCF3134.jpg

DSCF3153.jpg

DSCF3141.jpg

So last week i dropped the oil again and am now running the last batch of mobil super 1000 mineral until i get to the 5000km mark on the motor. I think its at about 2700 at the moment. Once i get to 5000 I'll be running some Royal Purple in it!

Alright the short term to do list as i'd like it to happen...

Get speedo sorted 100%
Fix false knock issue below 2000rpm (if i can fix it externally!)
Fix leaky oil drains
Get 5000km on motor, switch to Royal Purple
See what size pulley i can reliably run on the blower non intercooled (hoping 12psi or so), install that and get a MAFless tune done at the same time
Then cut sick lol!

More updates soon...

Dan