Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[WTF-SIX] VSII 6 Speed Manual Supercharged 4.2 Litre

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
This is edited stuff from what my fiancee recorded while her caprice's brakes were cooling down and while i was out on the track:

The first 2 times down the main straight coincided with the first 2 laps of the first session that you can see in the previous post. Decided to leave it in 4th for the straight, the uncooled M90 running out of puff knocking on the door of 200km/h at ~6000 engine rpm. I love the whine! The other parts you can see include coinciding incar footage of me overtaking the blue and silver vz's on lap 6 of session 1:

And here are some pics from the day:

293402_2154733842384_7588608_n.jpg

293542_2154738282495_6306052_n.jpg

Lol one of the many times i was a bit out of control into turn 2, can still see a bit of tyre smoke:

299507_2154833684880_5833067_n.jpg

297112_2154831284820_1358592_n.jpg

And probably my favourite pic of the day and i wasnt even moving! Taken by Haydz

DSCF4236.jpg

This one shows the amount of power steering fluid that was escaping into the engine bay, from the reservoir

DSCF4240.jpg

As you can hear on the videos, that by the end of the day the power steering had become quite noisy! The heat had really gotten into it! I remember on the way home stopping for fuel and attempting to open the reservoir, to no avail!

Knowing if i were to keep power steering and use the car at the track again (which was a definate YES!), I bought and installed a polished power steering reservoir and Derale power steering cooler. Didnt drive the car much until getting these, but when came the time to put the new gear in, it was time to find out what the hell had been going on inside the reservoir. And didnt we laugh when we succeeded! First of all, the dipstick part of the lid was melted in position so after we managed to break it out, we then cracked the reservoir in half to find this!

24092011753.jpg

So in went the Derale power steering cooler, it gets quite good airflow while being pretty easy to install behind the radiator. Pic is before i cut the mounting pins obviously haha

03102011763.jpg

and the polished reservoir

03102011769.jpg

... and to this day haven't had any more problems with the fluid getting too hot! The reservoir uses the factory style plastic cap with a polished lid going over it. The fluid has not since smelt burnt or attempted to melt the plastic dipstick!

Anyway I will continue catching up soon so stay tuned!

Last edited by a moderator:

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Give me a break dude, exaggeration much! Next real news is powercruise which was march! Not much happened between last year's track day and powercruise as far as i can remember, except cruising! Speaking of which, here's a pic from Mount Panorama on our Brocky cruise, swear i'm not a little sideways!

296825_2267554102820_610275125_n.jpg

More updates coming...

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
Just read your whole thread mate.... For the second time. Amazing the amount of work that has gone into this and good to see it on the track :) makes me so keen to get my l67 out on the track to.

Keep it up

C4L4IS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR '93 Calais
Very envious of your build dude! I love it :)
Been meaning to ask, what's the deal with having 1 spark plug heat ranged differently and gapped to 0.9mm? Sorry if its been answered already

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
A little belated but what the hey...

^^^ From where i was (just behind), definitely wasn't a little sideways... :rofl2:

Car is looking fantastic mate.

Lol it was only a little haha. Fantastic is how your ute is always looking mate, the vs however needs some lovin in the paint department. It will get done but not until i have a garage to put it in!

Just read your whole thread mate.... For the second time. Amazing the amount of work that has gone into this and good to see it on the track :) makes me so keen to get my l67 out on the track to.

Keep it up

Haha second time, appreciate the effort to do that mate! Cheers for the comments, putting work into this thing is almost never ending but overall i love it. Taking it to the track is the best thing i've done with it, had an absolute blast! Definately get out to the track if you can, its really the only place you can fully appreciate the amount of work you put into your car.

Very envious of your build dude! I love it :)
Been meaning to ask, what's the deal with having 1 spark plug heat ranged differently and gapped to 0.9mm? Sorry if its been answered already

Thanks mate, appreciate it!

Lol maybe its the wording, all plugs are 1 heat range colder than stock! The slight regap is to make sure the spark doesnt blow out.

Anyways update time, after that track day I had the diff looked at as it had a leaking axle bearing. The single spinning it was up to - particularly at the track, was not going to be good news for it. It turned out that the LSD was rooted, the oil was like a metallic paint. So at great expense the rear axle was removed from the car, cleaned out and got new bearings etc etc. That whole carrier was thrown out. Powercruise was coming and the diff only had a single pegger in it now, and a 4wd systems lokka came up cheap on ebay so i bought it and installed it in an open centre myself before getting it installed in the car. It had made it in there before powercruise, but probably due to my setup of the lokka it wasnt performing exactly the way it should have been. I gritted my teeth and took it to powercruise anyway.

Long story short, powercruise was a pretty wet affair the whole weekend. Didnt get to do a lot, mainly cruising when the rain wasnt torrential and even then we werent supposed to be going faster than 80k. I did however take advantage of the free dyno they were running due to the weather:

Where it managed 283rwhp or 211rwkw, basically the same as the previous year with only a revision of the intake setup.

And here are a few pics from when it was dry, probably all from the sunday when we actually got to do some stuff! The first 4 are from cruising sessions and the last one is a pro photo taken at the powerskids

P3040045.jpg

P3040049.jpg

P3040050.jpg

P3040051.jpg

Lol thats me on the right, cant remember if these were 2nd gear clutch dumps with the line locker or 3rd gear? lol

powerskid.jpg

3rd gear clutch dump + line locker

There wasnt much opportunity to race anyone, but I did get a few comments about how well the VS went! The highlight for me was probably keeping neck and neck down the eastern creek straight against an empty VX SS putting out more than 250rwkw, and i had a car full of passengers haha.

So, with Powercruise done and dusted it was time to prep the car for another track day which I will get into in my next update, I was going to do it now but Photobucket has apparently kicked the bucket so to speak so you will have to wait haha. Stay tuned!

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Hey Dan whats with the bonnet and the front bar???

She/he looks and sounds good coming down the straight.

Good to see it out at the track again. Nothing like punting around a race track on the weekends.

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Dan whats with the bonnet and the front bar???

She/he looks and sounds good coming down the straight.

Good to see it out at the track again. Nothing like punting around a race track on the weekends.

Hey Barry! Good to hear from you mate! Cheers for the comments!

Ah the whole front end of the car was resprayed before i bought her, and the time spent outside really showed this after a while! It started off as a small stone chip on the front bar which caused the clear coat to lift and peel. The bonnet followed shortly after. The way it looked gave me the shits and so i decided to repaint it myself. The matt black seemed the easiest way to go until i get a full respray done. And i'd prefer to have a garage to put her in after that too!

Lol for now the power bug is biting!

Haha oh if we were only so fortunate to get a track day on a weekend at Eastern Creek! Apparently they are almost unattainable on a weekend, especially because none of us are members of a cams affiliated club or hold a cams licence! No biggie though, we just go on weekdays!

More updates soon!

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Ahhh the old clear coat issue, I see. I have been lucky with mine, it has spent its 13 years that I have owned it under cover. Thinking about it, I have only done about 110 000km since I bought it in 1999.

We are a little spoilt up here when it comes to tracks. We have Lakeside, Queensland raceway, Morgan Park and Norwell to play on. If you have the money, you could do a track day just about every weekend at a different track!!!!!.

You will find that weekdays are usually better anyway, far less cars to deal with.

I think its time you added a nice intercooler to the mix and maybe a bit of E85, I can tell you, you wont be sorry!!!!!