Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wtf!!

mat vsII

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK statesman 5.7, VS exec TURBO
i have a 12" sub in my boot and it usually goes very very well but yesterday i moved it into the space behind the center of the back seat..
Now it sounds S#*T but when i open the boot it goes good and shakes the car like it used to do, then i shut the boot and it goes soft again and you only feel a slight vibration!!! why does opening the boot make suck a huge difference?

WTF!!

R

rattattack1313

Possibly because when the boot is shut it creates a sealed unit, and some speakers need to be able to breathe...... read around a few of 12oltking's posts...he recently wrote up about this very same thing........ :thumbsup:

markc3012

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss Commodore
Is it a free air sub or a enclosure sub...makes a big difference...what brand and type is it???

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
try puttin down your center fold seat and seeing if that makes a difference. also is it possible to get some photos of the sub and its setup? maybe having the boot shut blocks or muffles the cone somwhere or how.

markc3012

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss Commodore
Is it a free air sub or a enclosure sub...makes a big difference...what brand and type is it??? what doed it have wriiten on it???

itchy pits

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz
remember that the "bass" actually comes out of the back off the sub... are they fireing towards the front or to the back ?? generally hatch backs have the sub facing the back and sedans are facing forwad or into the back seats

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
itchy pits said:
remember that the "bass" actually comes out of the back off the sub... are they fireing towards the front or to the back ?? generally hatch backs have the sub facing the back and sedans are facing forwad or into the back seats

WTF??????????

Gonna have to remember that one!

LOL

Simple answer to the author...put it back where it was

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
the reason itd sound bad would be due to the way the sound travels...

the sub would produce sound waves going in all directions...

however what would be happening is that the sound waves bouncing off the boot and back into the cabin would destructively interfere with the sound waves already travelling to the front - meaning they arent in phase.

the reason itd sound better with the boot open is that the sound waves travelling towards the boot would be dissipated out of there.

all you need to get the sound waves in phase is to move your sub around in the boot to find the right position. :D

D

danny6424

if it was sidways in the boot say on the right hand side facing the left, would that be better or just have them facing the back?