Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wtf!!

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
i see wot you mean with the amplitude, but if the waves werent constructively interfering, say if the wave moving towards the cab from the sub hits your ears first, and then the one reflected from the boot hits your ears a little later, wouldn't that result in a sort of unclear sound? meh, i doubt itd be noticable anyway.
me think we're all looking too far into this hey

Mike S

Car Audio Pro
Reaction score
Hi again guys,
I've been so busy I hav'nt had time to think about you guys.
I always thought the bass and the bootlid phonomonon was called "sound cancellation", it's a very common thing installers deal with. I'm surprised it seems such a mystery to you all. Anyway, read this article and follow the links, it explains it all.

http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html

Mike :)

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
well those diagrams explain it all, mmmmm interesting

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
very interesting read :)

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
The threads only 4 years old, but I did see the OP online so he gets half a flame suit.

bu tryin 2 mak sens of tha post *clears throat* makes me snatch the flame suit back. :)

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
the reason itd sound bad would be due to the way the sound travels...

the sub would produce sound waves going in all directions...

however what would be happening is that the sound waves bouncing off the boot and back into the cabin would destructively interfere with the sound waves already travelling to the front - meaning they arent in phase.

the reason itd sound better with the boot open is that the sound waves travelling towards the boot would be dissipated out of there.

all you need to get the sound waves in phase is to move your sub around in the boot to find the right position. :D

ah to be young again, shoulda stuck to my point as I was on the right track (sort of)