Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

XC Allan Moffat Special

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Is the EGR all working properly? We had an XW with a 351 Clevo that we used to work on, the guy put a Holley on it and forgot to plug the EGR holes off in the manifold and it did similar things to what your car is doing...We plugged the holes and it ran perfectly. Just a thought?

24196563-16.png

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Alright, so I'm back at it again.
I can't for the life of me remember what I changed but I've got it idling fine around 7-800rpm 90% of the time. According to the tacho at least. I swear it sounds more like 12-1500rpm, but I guess I could be wrong.
Pretty sure all I did was block off a few vac lines, then unblock them one by one leaving EGR still blocked.
Manifold vacuum is around 18inHg (60kpa), and steady at idle, and the ported vac off the carby was around 6inHg (20kpa) on one side and (i think) 0 on the other one. Both ported sources rose at higher revs. Sounds about right? Pretty sure both ported sources should be 0 @idle. Seemed to run ok with the vac advance hooked up to the 6inHg plug (the original source for it)

If you give it a bit of a stab from idle it'll take a big gulp of air before revving, so something else in there needs to be setup better, and it still needs a squirt of
aerostart first thing in the morning, but with a bit more fiddling hopefully it will run well enough for the trip.

Found a little pool of coolant underneath this morning, and it looks like maybe the water pump seal has a leak, but there is also some dried coolant around the thermo housing. About 100mL of gearbox oil has leaked out since I filled it a month or so ago, and the new sump plug still leaks.
I think I'm adding more to the "to-do" list than I'm crossing off but it'll get there.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Yes, and possibly. That is my first port of call when it comes to sorting it out, but I'll get it idling right first.
When I setup the carby first I was told to tighten it to "light closing pressure", bu I assumed it would take some adjusting once it was all on and running

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
He doesnt come on here really anymore .