Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Xforce VF82 exhaust kit installed - product clearance issue or poor fitment?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I tend to use the "can and can't" rule with things like this. Removing the brace "can't" increase chassis or floor pan rigidity so I leave it on.

I don't see the brace doing much vertically but horizontally, it ties in with the longitudinal bracing welded to the floor pan and could resist trans tunnel spreading, perhaps not dynamically so much but could be related to floor pan buckle or seat mount integrity in a crash. Holden the penny pinchers they are, I doubt would've wasted money fitting the brace for no reason.
I'm sure the engineers designed a proper brace, but then the accountants got involved... :(

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
A bit of useless information but my ve sedan has a 3 inch stainless x force system and I still have the chassis brace thing in place
Yeah apparently their catback systems come with it but the product VF82 and VF83 don't come with it... Weird

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
What headers are they? Best collector I've seen that has half a chance of working properly.
It's a good design and fit, I've got a major issue with cross brace removal for the exhaust to fit, rough as guts that is!
Based off an HM design I'm told. Identical to the Harrop Pro Series Walkinflog sell.

1689080653942.png

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Why pay all that money for a stainless that's prone to rust?
Yes, 409 stainless rust wise is one step better than mild steel, it's what the stock systems are made of.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, 409 stainless rust wise is one step better than mild steel, it's what the stock systems are made of.
Lot less chromium in 4xx 'stainless'.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Lot less chromium in 4xx 'stainless'.
Yes, and 409 is also magnetic and barely scrapes in as a true stainless steel. One benefit of 409 exhausts is the better crack resistance than bright stainless grades and it TIG and MIG welds properly without back purging the tubing with Argon gas.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, and 409 is also magnetic and barely scrapes in as a true stainless steel. One benefit of 409 exhausts is the better crack resistance than bright stainless grades and it TIG and MIG welds properly without back purging the tubing with Argon gas.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know 4xx doesn't require back purging.
I have about 12 target rifle barrels in the safe, all are 416R 'stainless' and somewhat magnetic.
Never had one corrode though, have shot plenty of matches in wet weather gear and just wiped down with a rag.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Thanks for the info, I didn't know 4xx doesn't require back purging.
I have about 12 target rifle barrels in the safe, all are 416R 'stainless' and somewhat magnetic.
Never had one corrode though, have shot plenty of matches in wet weather gear and just wiped down with a rag.
I'm not sure about other 4xx grades, but 409 will fusion weld to mild steel too with good crack resistance. These resonators (below) are a 4" x 1.2mm 409 exhaust pipe body with laser cut 1.6mm mild steel end caps. 409 rusting is the reason I coated the exhaust with header paint.

I seriously don't get the sense in loading the mid-pipe up with mufflers and removing the tunnel brace to run small rear mufflers. This setup with 340 headers and piped cats (for off road use of course) and 2 x 12" resonators, pretty well hot dogs and re-worked bimodals, is on the quiet side and could've been louder. If they used OEM sized rear mufflers even at 3", the clearance dramas are solved!

20210824_230240 (2).jpg

Last edited:

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
2 cents, x-force not the greatest. A Manta 3" system fits perfect and retains the factory cross brace without modification. And has that unique h-pipe growl. With all due respect the saying goes: A rich man buys it once, a poor man buys it twice.

View attachment 254265

Last edited: