Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

yet another Oil question

Badgerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Hi everyone. This is my first post here, so I would like to to say hello.

Now my problems.
I have Holden Commodore VT II 3.8 V6. It has just above 200kkm on clock, and it is a good time to change oil and maybe few more things. According to Service Manual, I should use 10W-30 oil (SJ GF2). Alternatives are 15W40 or 20W50 with SG, SH or SJ parameter. I preffer to use full synthetic (previous owner has done that and said that I should continue this). It is not so easy to find good oil with those parameters.

I have found Mobil 1 - 10W30 Full Syntetic, but seller wants AU$96 per 5.7L. I have found also few more, that initially seems ok:
Lucas Oils 10128 Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil 10W-30, 5 L It has correct viscosity, and SJ norm, but I do not know about this manufacturer. This is for about AU$76

next one is Castrol Edge Engine Oil - 10W-30 5L for only AU$60, but I am not sure about its parameters such like API SN/CF (instead SJ) or ILSAC GF-5 (instead GF-2).

same here: CASTROL ENGINE OIL GTX MODERN 10W30 5L for AU$40. It is not listed what kind of oil it is.

I have found also this one Gulf Western Oil Premium Energy 10W30 6LT Energy Oil for only AU$38, but this is a suspicious price. I am not sure is it full or semi synthetic. Also company is not well known.

I do not have any idea why all manufacturers recommend 5W30 oils. There is nothing like that in car's manual.

So here are my questions:
1. Wchich oil from that above?
2. Maybe other (but I preffer still full synth)?
3. I have found that two lenght of oil filter is listed for my car -79mm and 129mm. Currently I have shorter one. Both cost same money. Are there any advantages to install longer one ? Any contraindications?
4. K&N filters (white series) are fine, or I should pick other ?
5. What are change intervals for spark plugs, spark wires, oil (when synthetic and car runs in City only), oil filter and fuel filter?
6. Is there everything more that I should check/replace (I mean periodic changes, not worned elements :) )
7. How can I cancel "Service 200000" from my clock ?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
have you had any oil tests done? Are you monitoring oil pressure to see which oil provides correct pressure? If not, stick to what's in the owners manual.

Badgerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
have you had any oil tests done? Are you monitoring oil pressure to see which oil provides correct pressure? If not, stick to what's in the owners manual.

No, I have not. Well manual says what is above. I concern about that norms SJ and GF-2 because no oil is produced according to them anymore. In other threads I have read that people use 20W50

I have found that oil with that viscosity:
Royal Purple Motor Oil - 5 Litre, 20W-50 for AU$90
Penrite MC-4 V Twin Motorcycle Oil - 20W-50 4 Litre for AU$70 , but I am not sure if that is suitable
Castrol GTX Engine Oil - 20W-50, 5 Litre for AU$30, but is it still full synthetic ?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
This info. may or may not help you.

My Daughter has had a VT now for over 10 years with now close to 300,000 on the clock, and it runs well, VERY well.
I have changed the oil for her twice a year using Magnatec 15-40, including the oil filter each time, normally RYCO. Any known filter is okay........We buy buy bulk oil when on special. (My VE uses 5-30 as per the books)
I change her plugs, an easy job on an Ecotec about every 3? years, and take off the service warning using the instructions in her books......Sorry, I can't remember them, so check your books.

GTX is a mineral oil. Magnatec is a semi synthetic oil.

When you decide on the oil you wish to use, purchase the one that is as per the books in letters/numbers or beyond.

Badgerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
This info. may or may not help you.

My Daughter has had a VT now for over 10 years with now close to 300,000 on the clock, and it runs well, VERY well.
I have changed the oil for her twice a year using Magnatec 15-40, including the oil filter each time, normally RYCO. Any known filter is okay........We buy buy bulk oil when on special. (My VE uses 5-30 as per the books)
I change her plugs, an easy job on an Ecotec about every 3? years, and take off the service warning using the instructions in her books......Sorry, I can't remember them, so check your books.

GTX is a mineral oil. Magnatec is a semi synthetic oil.

When you decide on the oil you wish to use, purchase the one that is as per the books in letters/numbers or beyond.

Thank you for your answers. Magnatec is synthetic ?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Thank you for your answers. Magnatec is synthetic ?

The MAGNATEC I use is semi synthetic. It's the fuel saver version. But I believe there is a synthetic version available now.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Reckon you're over thinking it way too much, but I wouldn't be using 'V twin Motorcycle' oil !? Your car's engine is not a V twin !

Yes the book does say 10W30 but something a bit higher won't hurt, (Like the 15w40 of the guy posted above). The shops have books or touchscreens in them usually for reference.

I just get the best I can afford on the day when I go to the shop. I've never even thought about "SJ GF2".

BTW 'Gulf Western' is a common product. Maybe they just made it over to that side ?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hpr10 comes on special regularly at most of the big auto stores, and would be my pick if you want to use a synthetic.

I put castrol gtx and valvoline xld in my ecotec for over 100,000 hard k's and never had a problem. The oil's cheap and since these engines are a pre 90's design and have roller lifters, they'll run well on anything as long as you keep it clean.

D

devilly

over 400,000 on my clock,the only one i will use now is 20w-50w. in my book recommends 20w-50w holden's recommend 15w-40w.

but after putting and oil pressure gauge on my car and trying ever oil viscosity.

i found 20w-50w to be the best so far :)

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
i was using 15/50 mobil 1 for years, had to buy from the disty, but they no longer carry it, only in 20L drums, i had done oil tests for years and found 15/50 spot on from mobil 1, the cold start oil pressure and summer hot oil pressure was great, down to idle sitting at 55psi, i changed to penrite fully synthetic i first tried HPR 10 10/50w, but hot oil pressure at idle was down to 45psi, i moved upto HPR15 15/60w and it's the same as mobil 1 15/50, the datasheets are pretty close to, the oil tests look the same as well. HTHS is pretty good.

Here was my old comparison.
pcmhacking.net - View topic - The1's Daily