Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB charging system fault

Rpdm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V
Hi,

I've got a ZB Calais v and noticed the adaptive cruise control fail, and turn off, and recently got messages saying 4wd fail, ESC requires service, and abs lights on. RACV came out and said alternor failure, it's not charging fully only 12v under load and tested battery, have a report.

Taken to Holden and they won't take RACV advice, and said it's battery and will cost me for new one.

Anyone had any issues with alternator or similar issue with car?

Thanks

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
Hi,

I've got a ZB Calais v and noticed the adaptive cruise control fail, and turn off, and recently got messages saying 4wd fail, ESC requires service, and abs lights on. RACV came out and said alternor failure, it's not charging fully only 12v under load and tested battery, have a report.

Taken to Holden and they won't take RACV advice, and said it's battery and will cost me for new one.

Anyone had any issues with alternator or similar issue with car?

Thanks
GM pox

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
I would hope the dealer would know more about the car than the RACV do. I had many cars towed into my workshop after being diagnosed by roadside assistance as having faulty alternators. 9 out of 10 would have been battery issues. Cars these days all have smart charging systems that will only start charging the battery when it gets bellow a certain level and even then they might only charge at a lower voltage if there is no load. If the battery is no good the alternator will not charge it. If the dealer replaces the battery and it is not the problem then they will just fit your old one and find the fault if there is actually one. Expect to pay around $350-"450 + installing ?ĺ

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I would be looking at when the car was manufactured and how long it has been sitting in Australia before sale. I bet some of these cars fail because

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I would be looking at when the car was manufactured and how long it has been sitting in Australia before sale. I bet some of these cars fail because
Probably a good chance it's been idle for a fair time from manufacture. My VX Clubby is bad if it's sits for even 2 weeks, the battery gets discharged and most likely car won't start. I don't drive it much, I would never get more than 18 months out of a battery, and I think one lasted just 10 months. After going though about a number of batteries, I've started using a CTEK charger and all good now. Hopefully for the ZB it's a one of, and if the car is driven regularly you don't need to trickle charge it to maintain the battery condition. In contrast to the Clubby, my 2009 VE SS also doesn't get driven a lot but I never had any issue with it. I've had the SS since December 2014 and never touched, or had had any issue with the battery. I'm wondering if the battery could be original, but most likely has been changed prior to me buying the car.

Rpdm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V
Thanks all for the suggestions, car is driven every day around 100+km never sat for a while.

Battery has been tested and no issues found.

Car is 12 months old. So under warranty.

I'll let you know.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
What reading do you get on the dashboard from your voltmeter when the engine is running ?
Easy enough to tell if the alternator is working or not. Voltmeter should be showing over 14 volts.
I have had a lot of issues with batteries when buying a "demonstrator" car that has been sitting idle on the lot for many months.
Basically if you buy a cheap demo car replace the battery straight away and factor that into your price. That's how I do it these days.
9 times out of ten demonstrators sit around with a badly discharged battery and it severely compromises the health and longevity of the battery.

I'd go with what the dealership says and replace the battery and go from there.

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
If the car is only 12 months old the battery should be covered by warranty as the battery has a 12 month warranty even if it is slightly over 12 months I would argue that under Australian consumer law it would be reasonably expected the battery would last longer than 12 months. Although the car was probably built over 2 years ago that's not your problem as warranty starts from registration date. For the cost of a battery I would be arguing.

Rpdm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V
Battery, alternator both tested fine no issues, still having issues with adaptive cruise control comming up saying adaptive cruise temporarily unavailable, multiple times a journey and the auto emergency brake, comming on at random times. Even when no cars or no objects Infront.

Any other suggestions?

Tested the main earth of car and found to be not to the required tourque setting but tight enough, and reset. To standard and still issues.

Anyone had issues with zb electronic before or adaptive cruise etc?

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Battery, alternator both tested fine no issues, still having issues with adaptive cruise control comming up saying adaptive cruise temporarily unavailable, multiple times a journey and the auto emergency brake, comming on at random times. Even when no cars or no objects Infront.

Any other suggestions?

Tested the main earth of car and found to be not to the required tourque setting but tight enough, and reset. To standard and still issues.

Anyone had issues with zb electronic before or adaptive cruise etc?
Yeah, go back to Holden and argue that they replace the battery under warranty. And if they say no, argue the ACCC rights etc. Still say no then tell them you'll pay for it and if it doesn't solve the problem they give you your money back.