Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Commodore Dead Man Walking

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The problem is, is it worth spending hundreds of millions of dollars in development of a car in a rapidly shrinking global market? I think we all know the answer.

Only GM can answer that question......And it's not really shrinking....Just more manufacturers entering the market, which shrinks the market for everyone

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think GM has made its intentions very clear in recent times. Car production in the US is being cut back with numerous models being curtailed, car plants being closed and truck production being stepped up. Sedan production seems to be transferred to China. The sell-off of Opel, dumping of SAAB and closure of Holden emphasises the company's plans. I reckon the Australian car production suffered because of the weird support of the US market for buying trucks as daily drivers. They are the most profitable vehicles to build and enjoy a huge proportion of an enormous market. For the world demand for GM cars, rather than trucks, China and Mexico provide cheap labour and plants like those in Korea and Thailand take care of other market sectors such as small and mid sized SUVs and medium sized 4 door utes.
Australia was never going to figure in long range plans due to our far higher labour and power costs and corporate tax rates. I believe the decision to shut down Holden really started with the GFC, not five years later in 2013. Once it became necessary for a government bail-out, GM started to look seriously at cutting models, rationalising and selling off plants and brands and abandoning traditional markets to survive. They haven't finished yet. I reckon we all know who's next.

Last edited:

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
If they are still making them why are there zero 2019 models? After all it had been 2019 for a little while now
Go to any Australian Port and you will see some currently rolling off the RO/RO ships :)

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
Go to any Australian Port and you will see some currently rolling off the RO/RO ships :)
The French probably lost the 2019 stamp in that case then I reckon

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/holden-commodore-and-astra-safe-psa-120403/

There are similarities of the footy team board stating that they fully support the current coach of an underperforming team.
sales.jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
Wonder if we're going to see MY20 facelift models soon then?

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Do you have proof these are 2019 plated cars? Or are these just 2018 models that have been sitting overseas since last year?
Still only 2018 models advertised anywhere in the new cars section on car sites. You'd think if the 2019's had landed they'd be advertising and taking orders......