Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB start up issues.

Utetopia2015

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SII SS (Ute), ZB RS
Just have an issue with startup, and wondering if its as simple as a battery.
All lights come up on start up. No crank, no other sounds like a starter motor. Obviously aware of what a flat battery in an ignition car sounds like, but in a push button startup car, I'm unsure.
There's an error code that comes up saying "Two keys programmed", and thats it. I've tried with both key fobs, and tried the remote startup, both with nothing.

I dont drive it very often, the last i drove it was about 4 weeks ago, every day for 5 days (short drives), while my ute was having some repairs. Before that, just as long. I've done about 2000km since December 2022.

Link to video on Imgur:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
strange, its like it has slipped into the user key programming mode which should be disabled on the aus version.
i would pull the negative battery lead of for a few mins and then try to start it again.

if the problem continues then it will need a mdi connected to it to try and get it out of the programming mode.

Utetopia2015

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SII SS (Ute), ZB RS
strange, its like it has slipped into the user key programming mode which should be disabled on the aus version.
i would pull the negative battery lead of for a few mins and then try to start it again.

if the problem continues then it will need a mdi connected to it to try and get it out of the programming mode.
What an odd thing to occur, if thats it. I also posted it on Reddit, and everyone there seems to think its just a flat battery on the keyfob, but its both fobs. I'll try your solution, and get new batteries for the fobs. I've also spoken to my mechanic, and he's suggested on doing a battery check - it could just be the battery.

Thanks.

Utetopia2015

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SII SS (Ute), ZB RS

Second response: I just ran a multi-meter through it, and its showing 9.98 Volts. But knowing me, i somehow fucked that up...

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Second response: I just ran a multi-meter through it, and its showing 9.98 Volts. But knowing me, i somehow fucked that up...

you should get a message on the dash about a low battery in the key if it was a flat battery in the key.
you can also start the vehicle without a battery in the key at all, just put the key into the cup holder in front of the shifter and the vehicle will detect it, there is a little shelf in there, that is for the key when its battery is dead.

if you mean you are getting 9.98 volts at the vehicle battery then that is not the best and i would suggest putting a charger on it for a while.

these vehicles do pop all sorts of errors when the battery is below a decent voltage because all of the sensors start reporting unexpected results due to the low voltage.
the battery is a deep cycle so it is more durable on discharge events than a normal battery found in most vehicles so you might be able to charge it and it will be fine but you might want to get it load tested.

Reactions: Lex

me_like_fuelBurners

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS V6
Seems like the car battery to me. Might not need a new one (if you do they are pretty pricey $$$) might just be because you have had it sitting there for a couple weeks. Try getting one of those lithium jump starters (if you don't have one I'll put a link to a pretty decent one at the end) and that should get you out of trouble.
I've had that "2 keys programmed" message before, it pops up whenever I have disconnected the battery then re-connected, and the message will appear on first power up (aka 1st start) - It is just letting you know how many keys are assigned to your car.

One other thing - if you get it tested make sure you take their results with a grain of salt... As stooge said, these batteries are deep cycle beasts and while testing may say it is currently capable of 40% of its performance compared to new, this is still a good battery.

Best of luck

link https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/solar-power/lithium-jump-starter.html?page=1

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
What an odd thing to occur, if thats it. I also posted it on Reddit, and everyone there seems to think its just a flat battery on the keyfob, but its both fobs. I'll try your solution, and get new batteries for the fobs. I've also spoken to my mechanic, and he's suggested on doing a battery check - it could just be the battery.

Thanks.
we have a number of ZBs (all LT models ) in the fleet and 2 things we have found (apart from extreme tyre wear)

... they hate low battery voltages and the genuine Opel battery has a life of maybe 4 years if you are lucky
(yes all in the fleet have had new batteries and at over $400 each, an exxie replacement)
and
BOTH key fob batteries die with the main one... for some strange reason they have a similar life

Utetopia2015

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SII SS (Ute), ZB RS
Seems like the car battery to me. Might not need a new one (if you do they are pretty pricey $$$) might just be because you have had it sitting there for a couple weeks. Try getting one of those lithium jump starters (if you don't have one I'll put a link to a pretty decent one at the end) and that should get you out of trouble.
I've had that "2 keys programmed" message before, it pops up whenever I have disconnected the battery then re-connected, and the message will appear on first power up (aka 1st start) - It is just letting you know how many keys are assigned to your car.

One other thing - if you get it tested make sure you take their results with a grain of salt... As stooge said, these batteries are deep cycle beasts and while testing may say it is currently capable of 40% of its performance compared to new, this is still a good battery.

Best of luck

link https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/solar-power/lithium-jump-starter.html?page=1

So dumb question... how the hell do I even take the battery out with what looks like some kind of fuse array on it? Why would GM even put this on the car battery?

Best of luck

Any idea on even how to remove or charge the battery? There's this bloody fuse box / fuse array attached to the battery, and I'm buggered if I can tell how to take it to take the battery out... there's no room to attach clips to the positive terminal

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the main fuse lines being on the battery are common these days as it reduces fires caused by shorts when the main lines are fused at the battery terminal.

if you are looking to jump start it you dont do it at the battery, there are jump points under the bonnet for that.

undo that bolt circled in red a bit and you should be able to lift the lead/tray off.

wmqDv1S.jpeg

me_like_fuelBurners

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS V6
So dumb question... how the hell do I even take the battery out with what looks like some kind of fuse array on it? Why would GM even put this on the car battery?

Any idea on even how to remove or charge the battery? There's this bloody fuse box / fuse array attached to the battery, and I'm buggered if I can tell how to take it to take the battery out... there's no room to attach clips to the positive terminal

Aaaha.... I see you have come across the reason for the exxxie battery replacement quotes you will soon receive ;)

The battery is usually one of the easier replacement items, wouldn't you agree? Yes... hmmm, well if you own a ZB V6 you will be sorely disappointed :mad:
from what I've been told, the battery wont just lift out of its little compartment :rolleyes: you need to remove the 'Rear Compartment Sidewall Panel - Left Side' before you can get enough access to remove the retainers, nuts etc to the finally get the bastard out! Its do-able, just a little more time & effort needed compared to EVERY OTHER NORMAL CAR!!!

this might help visualise the requirements....
1694397454884.png

Anyway best of luck