Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
How do you get the center speaker cover off? I don't wanna break anything and the instructions seem a little vague to me?

The speaker cover just pops out. If you grab it towards the front (by the windscreen) and gently pry it up with your hand, it will come out. Watch out for the lugs at the back of the speaker cover when removing. Under the cover are 5 of the standard holden clips. These come out easily as you pull the cover up.

Computers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6
The speaker cover just pops out. If you grab it towards the front (by the windscreen) and gently pry it up with your hand, it will come out. Watch out for the lugs at the back of the speaker cover when removing. Under the cover are 5 of the standard holden clips. These come out easily as you pull the cover up.

Cheers, i'll give it another go. It just doesn't feel like there's anything to grip onto to pull the grill out

Computers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6
Ok, won't let me edit my post so just gonna say here....

** UPDATE **

FYI, mine was an absolute B*tch to get out! I ended up breaking one of the white lugs on the first corner I pulled out, and then I snapped the whole black part they attach to on another corner. I've glued them back together overnight so hopefully they still work. But yeah, wasn't "easy" in any way ;)

That said, center speaker is out and the system sounds a lot better overall. But, still sounds VERY bad compared to any other car I've driven.

Adamski

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 Ute
Ok, won't let me edit my post so just gonna say here....

** UPDATE **

FYI, mine was an absolute B*tch to get out! I ended up breaking one of the white lugs on the first corner I pulled out, and then I snapped the whole black part they attach to on another corner. I've glued them back together overnight so hopefully they still work. But yeah, wasn't "easy" in any way ;)

That said, center speaker is out and the system sounds a lot better overall. But, still sounds VERY bad compared to any other car I've driven.

Mine was a bit of a bastard too. I disconnected my centre and replaced the mids/tweeters with Infinity Reference 6530cs's....since changing I've gained a bit of quality but lost volume. The Infinities are still 2ohm so I've bought one of these to replace the centre speaker and get back some volume. Seems that the stereo actually relies quite a bit on the centre speaker as part of the staging.

I was having to turn up the stereo to at least 30 for most tracks.

Alas, after all that I'm putting my Ute up for sale due to it not meeting my desires anymore. Stifling audio (can't change out head unit) as well as loan repayments and 2 seats is cramping my style.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
FYI, mine was an absolute B*tch to get out! I ended up breaking one of the white lugs on the first corner I pulled out, and then I snapped the whole black part they attach to on another corner. I've glued them back together overnight so hopefully they still work. But yeah, wasn't "easy" in any way ;).

Sorry to hear that mate, all I can go by is personal experience with my car. I've opened up mine to see what crap speaker was installed and honestly wasnt very difficult at all. Maybe they've changed things a little on the S2's.

Computers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6
Sorry to hear that mate, all I can go by is personal experience with my car. I've opened up mine to see what crap speaker was installed and honestly wasnt very difficult at all. Maybe they've changed things a little on the S2's.

No worries ;) Glued the bits back together and you wouldn't be able to tell they broke at all. But yeah, sounds like they tightened the fit in the series 2's :p

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
I have purchased Hertz 6.5" speakers (splits for the front and coax for rear doors). Currently I have fitted the splits including the tweeters OK (thanks to this great thread!!). But I am not happy with the fit of the Hertz speakers in the stock plastic pods even after cutting some of the pod away. It is not a good sealed fit.

What is the best material to make new pods from? Would thick MDF do the job OK or do the screws eventually pull out with all the vibration? Other experience or suggestions?

mobstaopm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy sv8 04 commodore
Just had my Ve Stereo speakers upgraded with amps running the splits and another amp running the subs - big and major improvement without having to change the deck which cannot be changed due to it being controlled by the computer. Anyway, the center speaker is disconnected and left in place. Hope this this helps

Computers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6
Is there anything in or around the tweeter assembly that could come loose and start rattling/buzzing?

I've noticed on bassy notes, my front right tweeter buzzes sometimes. I can't tell if it's the tweeter cone distorting or if it's a loose wire vibrating or something....I wouldn't have thought it was the cone since I'm assuming the tweeter wouldn't get any low frequencies anyway

adam_4049

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Series II SV6
I have just bought a S2 Sv6 with the standard sound system which coming from a big set up in my VX sounds like crap.

My question is does the standard deck have the outputs for the subs in the parcel try or is it jst tapped into off the left and right channels??