Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

Auspolak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 Omega 3.0 SIDI A6
Replacing stock speakers on VE II Omega

Hi everyone, I'm just about to replace the stock speakers on my VE series 2 omega but only want to run the speakers off the IQ head unit. I am seriously considering Infinity KAPPA 60.9CS for fronts and Infinity Kappa 62.9i for rears and disconnecting the centre speaker.

My question is, are the original speakers on these base models 2 ohm and will these new speakers run fine just off the head unit?

I dont want to start spending hundreds of $$$ to find i wont find any improvement or that i got the wrong speakers for just a simple switchover.

The 10th Doctor

ambitious but rubbish
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE SS-V
Oh yeah that side was a bugger for me too. What I ended up doing was not using guide "wire", but a really massive zip tie (as in about a foot long). Being a bit more flexible and wanting to straighten as well as being non-metal you can jamb it in and wiggle about etc. From memory I think I found it easier to push the guide through from the inside of the car, tape the speaker wire to it from the door side and pull back through. Yes a fiddly bit of the job. May also suggest wearing your lucky undies and holding you tongue to the left.

Thanks for the reply! I had unfortunately gone with my idea by the time you posted that, but, I'll have to amp these babies soon so I might re-do it at that point.

I didn't use the same spot as the OP for the crossovers. As I was installing a sub and amp, I put the crossovers in the boot mounted next to the amp. It seemed easier than getting the things in the door considering the option of next to the amp (custom box in boot that holds sub, amp, crossovers). I was considering using double sided tape and zip ties to reduce any movement or vibration, but it just didn't want to sit perfectly in any orientation. Also I was thinking they'd be easier to get to to adjust being in the boot - but really that's a bit of a wank as you won't adjust them more than once while setting up (if at all).

I ended up Velcroing the crossovers to the inside of the door trim! It's secure, doesn't rattle around and I tested removing the door trim a few times to make sure nothing would get damaged if I needed to remove the trim in the future. Thanks for the advice in any case :)

My question is, are the original speakers on these base models 2 ohm and will these new speakers run fine just off the head unit?

My stocks were 4 ohm but then my VE is older than yours :) - I think the only way to be sure is to take the trim off a door and check. Then, once you have done that, you can figure out what speakers to go with. I don't see any issues with running 4 ohm speakers if your stocks were 2 - but you'll need to turn it up a little louder than you normally would. I'd highly suggest an amp either now or in the near future...

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
Hi everyone, I'm just about to replace the stock speakers on my VE series 2 omega but only want to run the speakers off the IQ head unit. I am seriously considering Infinity KAPPA 60.9CS for fronts and Infinity Kappa 62.9i for rears and disconnecting the centre speaker.

I dont want to start spending hundreds of $$$ to find i wont find any improvement or that i got the wrong speakers for just a simple switchover.

They will work and sound better but you'll have to crank the head unit right up to get any volume if they're 4ohm (ie if you liked stock at 24 you'll likely hit around 32 after the change). If you like it loud I'd advise getting them amped. I'm considering it with my polk db6501's at the moment.

metester

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Clubsport R8
They will work and sound better but you'll have to crank the head unit right up to get any volume if they're 4ohm (ie if you liked stock at 24 you'll likely hit around 32 after the change). If you like it loud I'd advise getting them amped. I'm considering it with my polk db6501's at the moment.

I thought the Kappa's were 2ohm??

Interesting to hear your comments about the Polk's. My research suggests they are one of the most sensitive of the 4ohm units along with Focals. I too am reluctant to get amps etc., (been there, done that!) and may now lean towards the 2ohm Infinity's or JBL's.

"E1 Clubby R8 when only an 8 will do!"

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
tried the amp gain adjustment yesterday, it's made a massive difference, was a bit hard to judge from the boot but has worked out well. Great thread too.

metester

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Clubsport R8
I have just finished installing Rockford Fosgate Punch series 6.5" splits and 6" 2-ways in the rear. I am very impressed to say the least. They defy their 89db, 4 ohm rating. I was told they are a very efficient speaker series and I can now confirm it is the case. I noticed only a slight increase in the volume level required on the stock unit. I also pumped it up with no noticeable distortion around the 40 mark. I didn't want to go any higher being new speakers etc. I also had to turn down the bass and treble settings to 0. A slight negative is the tweeters sound a little bright but I was able to improve that by turning down the treble level.

Finally, for a former car audiophile who has been there and done that and a little over it now, I am very happy with the results from simply upgrading the speakers, dynamatting the doors, parcel shelf and boot, rewiring the subs, disconnecting the centre speaker and turning up the gain on the amp. The end result from these relatively simple mods is a nice, clean, clear sound that admittedly won't win any comps but suits me fine.

Incidently, I referred to these pages many times right down to using a long cable tie to thread the tweeter wires, and this thread is right on the money. Thanks again!

"E1 Clubby R8 when only an 8 will do!"

Last edited:

ambipure

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 ve 60th anniversary sportwagon
Just bought an 08 ve 60th anniversary sportwagon.OMG how bad is the sound!!!Ive decided after reading info off all u wonderful people,on the Fusion 4ch Dclass amp 1400w max,with vibe slick 6' component speakers in the front,disconnecting the centre front speaker,just putting my old sony xplode 4ohms in the rear,my 5yr old doesnt need it sooo loud..Then 30% dynamat in all 4 doors,hopethat does the trick..any comments good or bad im new to this,booked in for nxt wk $680 installed.;0

Sambo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SV6 Z series
I am thinking about upgrading the speakers in my VE. I was thinking of unplugging the centre speaker and just putting better coaxial speakers in the front and rear doors and leaving the tweeters as they are. Will this have any negative effect on the tweeters on the dash or will this be fine? You seem to know a bit more about stereo upgrades than me. Cheers.

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
I am thinking about upgrading the speakers in my VE. I was thinking of unplugging the centre speaker and just putting better coaxial speakers in the front and rear doors and leaving the tweeters as they are. Will this have any negative effect on the tweeters on the dash or will this be fine? You seem to know a bit more about stereo upgrades than me. Cheers.

Shouldn't be a problem as the tweeters have their own wiring and filter built in. Having better mid range might accentuate the nastiness of the stock tweeters though.

jwoodsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE M6
Just put Alpine 6.5 inch splits in my ute last night. Was pretty straight forward.
I cheated a little with the tweeter wire though, it looked impossible getting the wire through the kick panel, so i just fed it through one of the elongated clip holes for the actual kick panel. There is plenty of room for the wire and the clip, then fed it through the rubber. The most annoying thing was working out how to take off the tweeter covers without shattering them haha. But it made sense once a few clips came undone.
Had to trim about 5mm to fit the woofers, and i just glued and zip tied my new tweeters onto the old ones, as you wont see the zip tie.
Absolutely awesome write up mate! Helped me heaps!
Oh and i have 2 small screws left over, anyone know where they go? haha