Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

Sambo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SV6 Z series
Shouldn't be a problem as the tweeters have their own wiring and filter built in. Having better mid range might accentuate the nastiness of the stock tweeters though.

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the door speakers first and then I could really notice the poor quality of the tweeters so I ended up changing the tweeters in the dash and it wasn't hard. I had some Rockford tweeters (model T2T-S 75wrms) sitting in the shed with crossovers so I just made a bracket and wired them in. The sound quality is much better than the standard tweeters. I used the Rockford T16 in all four doors. I think they are 70wrms. It's not incredibly loud but the bass no longer sounds like a loose fart. The sound quality is what i was after and I seemed to have achieved that target. I can always add an amplifier later on if I feel I need more noise. Oh and I removed the centre speaker.

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
where can i find wiring diagram for holden iq?

i cant find it anywhere

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, VE Calais-V Series II
I'm looking at putting Alpine SPR-60C in the front, SPR-60 in the rear and SPS-410 as a center speaker. I have the premium sound system. Has anyone had experience with a system like this?

Show5Over

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Thanks Boneart, you're a legaend. Reversing the wireing for the Subs is an AWESOME fix. I was just about to spend some hard earned on sub/amp package. No need now. The difference was amazing.

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
Hi Guys,
Quick question.... I have an r8 clubsport is it possible to keep my original deck and install a single din alpine head unit? All I am looking for is power wire and accessory wires? Where can I get that from as the single din head unit will be installed in the glovebox....
Thanks

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
Brown wire is for accessory right? Would that be located on the passenger side panel where the fuses are or under the glove box? Apparently with this same white plug withe brown wire there is another orange wire can this also be used for power?
Thanks in advance

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Hey mate, it sounds like you're looking at the plug for the smoker's pack. The 3 prong white plug on the driver's side of the h/u. Umm, sorry but I can't remember the wire colours even though I used the rear plug yesterday. I think the single prong (orange??) is for the illumination, the top pins being power and earth. Fused next to the battery with a 20amp fuse (be careful when using your multimeter you don't accidentally short two pins - might blow the fuse :doh:) It's easy enough to check with a multimeter, and isn't recessed and hard to reach like the rear one.

FYI- Just pull the trim from the driver's side down (the long panel that goes back with the console and the one just above it. A little pull down is it. The plug should be just there. Well that's it on SV6 S1.

rjhoomuck

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 60th anniversary 2008
Hello,
The stock speakers in my omega was fine but not enough to please me. So i decided to upgrade the speakers, after some research on this forum i bought 6 inch 300w 4ohm pioneer speakers. Changed all 4 door speakers and did a neat job with connecting the wires etc. Tested all before putting the trims back...to my great surprise the stock 20w speakers are much louder... the only difference is that the sound is a bit more detailed but not loud at all. I am very disapointed and this is still chewing my brain! I am guessing the stock headunit is not sending enough power to the speakers? I would really appreciate your views on why it is not as loud despite being 300w.
If i connect a line output converter and an amp, will i need to rewire all the cables or can i use the factory wires?
thx

metester

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Clubsport R8
Hello,
The stock speakers in my omega was fine but not enough to please me. So i decided to upgrade the speakers, after some research on this forum i bought 6 inch 300w 4ohm pioneer speakers. Changed all 4 door speakers and did a neat job with connecting the wires etc. Tested all before putting the trims back...to my great surprise the stock 20w speakers are much louder... the only difference is that the sound is a bit more detailed but not loud at all. I am very disapointed and this is still chewing my brain! I am guessing the stock headunit is not sending enough power to the speakers? I would really appreciate your views on why it is not as loud despite being 300w.
If i connect a line output converter and an amp, will i need to rewire all the cables or can i use the factory wires?
thx

Hi. The stock speakers in your car would be 2 Ohm. This means they require less power to drive them than your new, 4 Ohm speakers. This explains why they are not as loud. The 300W and 20W figures you mention refers to the power handling of the speaker not how loud it will be. Loudness is determined by many things one major one being speaker sensitivity, measured in decibels. The higher the figure the more sensitive the speaker is.

I would suggest your 300W figure refers to peak music power output (PMPO). Do you have an RMS rating (also measured in watts (W))? This rating is important when choosing an amp as you want to be sure the amp will not be too powerful for the speaker. You can use the factory wires however, if you get an amp you will need to run wires to the amplifier anyway and therefore I would discard the factory ones for new and better speaker wire.

Last edited: