Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
After reading the step by step guide its given me the confidence to pay some bastard to do it for me and I will wait in a pub.

Wolf-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
does anyone know if Kicker ds60's will be fine to put in all doors of a ve berlina?
i have 4 ds60's from previous car.

Woofer (in., cm) 6, 16.0
Tweeter (in., cm) 1/2, 1.3
Impedance (Ohms) 4
Max Rec Amp Power (watts PEAK/RMS)* 100/50
Sensitivity (dB 1w/1m) 90
Frequency Response (Hz) 43-21k
Mounting Hole Diameter (in., cm) 4-3/16, 12.3
Mounting Depth (in., cm) 1-7/8, 4.8

Pinorckle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
upgrading the VE speakers isn't too difficult to do, I haven't read through all 16 pages of this thread so I may be going over what is already posted... first thing is first, get rid of the middle speaker (just unplug it), its a POS and just makes the entire sound system worse (free upgrades are good, just lift the grill in the centre of the dash carefully then unscrew the speaker then unplug... you can even put the speaker back in just unplugged if you wish).

I went down the path of doing a decent upgrade and ended up putting an LC6i in so I could run a 4x100wrms Jaycar amp I already had then bought some JL Audio C5s to put up front.

Obviously this isn't the most simple of jobs but there are plenty of wiring diagrams to help with the LC6i install and I am by no means an experienced car audio installer but got the job done in a day.

SSfluro

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 08 & VY SS 04
Read through the thread and wanted to say thanks to boneart for doing this and others suggestions which also came in handy this helped me alot!!

River Rat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
This might sound like a silly question, but instead of swapping over the pins, wouldn't it be just as easy to cut and reverse the wires?
I have a Berlina and severs tinnitus, so the bottom end ( below 13k)is all I get to hear. This sounds like a perfect fix for me. (too much volume is quite painful).

metester

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Clubsport R8
This might sound like a silly question, but instead of swapping over the pins, wouldn't it be just as easy to cut and reverse the wires?
I have a Berlina and severs tinnitus, so the bottom end ( below 13k)is all I get to hear. This sounds like a perfect fix for me. (too much volume is quite painful).

Not a silly question at all! You are right. It is effectively the same thing however, swapping the connections is a neater solution and that is really the only benefit particularly if you ever want to reverse the mod and not make it obvious.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 4

River Rat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Not a silly question at all! You are right. It is effectively the same thing however, swapping the connections is a neater solution and that is really the only benefit particularly if you ever want to reverse the mod and not make it obvious.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 4

Next problem.
It appears that even though my Berlina is fitted with the Blaupunkt sterio, there is no amp near the battery and from what I can see, no base speakers on the back shelf.
It is a dec 2006 mod with factory dual fuel.
Anywhere else I should be looking for the amp?

metester

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Clubsport R8
Next problem.
It appears that even though my Berlina is fitted with the Blaupunkt sterio, there is no amp near the battery and from what I can see, no base speakers on the back shelf.
It is a dec 2006 mod with factory dual fuel.
Anywhere else I should be looking for the amp?

It may not have come with the premium stereo as standard. You might need to check that first. If so, as far as I know the amp should be directly behind the battery on both wagons and sedans. Mine is a sedan and that is where it is.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

River Rat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Checked again. Nuffn, Narda, zip, bugga all.

So here's the new challenge; to fit some rear speakers that are not too loud, nor too expensive. My hearing went south 10 years ago so too many loud sounds simply blend into one scrambled noise. Volume in excess can be extremely painful, but loudish is ok.

Equipment at the front is the Blaupunkt 6 stacker.. There are tweeters in each corner of the screen & a speaker in the middle of the dash. (There are covers, but I haven't looked under them) , and one speaker in each door.
So, where to from here?
(In a past life I was an electronics tech, so I know my way around, but I have no experience at all in audio.)
From the quality of submissions on here, I know someone will know exactly what I should do.
Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, RR.

wopalx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
The instructions etc were very helpful in upgrading my speakers.