Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dumb things you've done working on a car?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
that window auto up thread reminded me of another one

so i used to use a block of wood to test that the power window auto-up used to stop and retract if more than 100nm of force was applied. i.e. stick a block of wood in the top and close the window. window hits block of wood, senses then winds down 200mm simple!

so one day i thought id just stick my arm in there as the block of wood was over 'there' and i was over 'here'....

as it happens, 100Nm hurts... a lot.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Give it time.....Something will happen soon.

that window auto up thread reminded me of another one

so i used to use a block of wood to test that the power window auto-up used to stop and retract if more than 100nm of force was applied. i.e. stick a block of wood in the top and close the window. window hits block of wood, senses then winds down 200mm simple!

so one day i thought id just stick my arm in there as the block of wood was over 'there' and i was over 'here'....

as it happens, 100Nm hurts... a lot.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
im sure i still have 1000's more that ive blanked out of my memory.

Or that blunt force trauma to the head while working on cars, has made you forget.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386385225.239610.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1386385347.818342.jpg

Using a hilift 4x4 jack as a makeshift spring compressor. Took 2 people to get enough pressure on the handle. Could have been interesting if it had gone wrong.

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Found a puffer pack of graphite powder for lubricating locks.
Works great on the door lock but it caused backfire starting problems for a week or so (ignition switch loosing contact with key) from squirting it in there.
Did make the key turn nice tho...:lock:

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Was welding the Senator exhaust in the shed a few days ago, thought, humm, smells funny, oh well, keep welding, gets smellier, lift the helmet, cant see anything wrong, go back to welding, think **** my eyes are getting crappy, cant see too well. Finish the weld, lift the visor, cant see anything for smoke, whole shed is filled with it. Go into mild state of panic, think wtf, don't let the Senator burn down now, look around, I have made a small room inside the shed where the lathe, grinders and cut off saw are. I had a rag by the cut off saw, the offcut being hot must have started smouldering then started a small fire, but by now the flames are a metre high and its starting to burn the electic cable to the saw. Thankfully by pure luck two weeks before my son gave me a small fire extinguisher for my birthday, what a friggin mess to clean up though. Morale of the story do not weld anything unless you have a fie extinguisher :) I reckon two weeks later my heart rate is just about back to normal.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
View attachment 168305View attachment 168306

Using a hilift 4x4 jack as a makeshift spring compressor. Took 2 people to get enough pressure on the handle. Could have been interesting if it had gone wrong.

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

It made me shiver when I read this.
High lift jacks are good, but are one of the most dangerous things ever made.
That's coming from an ex 4x4 owner.