Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dumb things you've done working on a car?

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Was changing the amp in my car , was undoing the power cable (didn't bother disconnecting battery) . And as I undoing it/holding it in my hand ,my knee touched the tow bar and earthed my leg . Got a nice little tingle through my knee cap

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Yesterday working on the VB I whacked my noggin on the axle stand as I was maneuvering my way to grease the ball joints.....

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Was welding the Senator exhaust in the shed a few days ago, thought, humm, smells funny, oh well, keep welding, gets smellier, lift the helmet, cant see anything wrong, go back to welding, think **** my eyes are getting crappy, cant see too well. Finish the weld, lift the visor, cant see anything for smoke, whole shed is filled with it. Go into mild state of panic, think wtf, don't let the Senator burn down now, look around, I have made a small room inside the shed where the lathe, grinders and cut off saw are. I had a rag by the cut off saw, the offcut being hot must have started smouldering then started a small fire, but by now the flames are a metre high and its starting to burn the electic cable to the saw. Thankfully by pure luck two weeks before my son gave me a small fire extinguisher for my birthday, what a friggin mess to clean up though. Morale of the story do not weld anything unless you have a fie extinguisher :) I reckon two weeks later my heart rate is just about back to normal.

Similar story, old man had us recruited to clean up the shed for the new fueler, once done he set about welding some brackets for the diff, and managed to have sparked a fire in the bucket that was on the floor. Luckily had some extinguishers in the race trailer, fireys weren't too happy when they arrived though. We had permits for the ozone killing fire extinguishers (track use) but apparently they are toxic when used in enclosed spaces. Old man forever blamed cleaning up the shed for the cause of the fire, said if we hadn't have cleaned up, there wouldn't have been a bucket of random flammable dribbles in the corner.

Also went out that week and bought half a dozen more fire extinguishers. Somehow managed to not kill his top fueler, or my junior fueler, and not have the oxy, or fuel drums explode #lucky

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Was changing the amp in my car , was undoing the power cable (didn't bother disconnecting battery) . And as I undoing it/holding it in my hand ,my knee touched the tow bar and earthed my leg . Got a nice little tingle through my knee cap

How the hell did you get shocked by 12v?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
How the hell did you get shocked by 12v?

Its not volts, its the amps that get you. Apparently, 80 mA across the heart is sufficient for Cardiac Arrest.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Put my drivers door trim on today. Did it all up then realised it needs to be off to get the mirror on. So carefuly took it off again because I'd just cleaned it and put the mirror on. Then put all the screws on and remembered that I forgot to plug the mirror in fk it! So I angrily and not carefully undid the screws ripped off the door trim and dropped it on the gravel then took off my mirror and plugged it in.

Productive day.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Put my drivers door trim on today. Did it all up then realised it needs to be off to get the mirror on. So carefuly took it off again because I'd just cleaned it and put the mirror on. Then put all the screws on and remembered that I forgot to plug the mirror in fk it! So I angrily and not carefully undid the screws ripped off the door trim and dropped it on the gravel then took off my mirror and plugged it in.

Productive day.

I would have gone. "Fk it. Now have manual mirror".

Samual Anthony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY, ASV Ltd, V6 - N/A
Rebuilt a 3.8L ecotec a while back, was on the piss whilst putting the heads on and only did them up about half torque... had to strip the engine back down to clean all the water out of the engine...