Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz misfire and injector circuit issues.

jayess

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina
Yes mate I'm in Victoria south Gippsland area about 1 1/2 east of Melbourne.
I would be more than happy to buy a few boxes/bottles for some assistance.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
This sounds like what happened to me. It was my ECU no.6 injector wasn't getting power. $840 later and it works. Send your **** off to injectronics through repco or Bursins

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
And the under lying cause. High resistance earths that generate heat in the circuit and heat in the drivers that eventually burn them out. Replace the ECM, and guess what, the root cause is not addressed and a repeat of the fault occurs and the ECM gets the blame.

Reactions: Lex

jayess

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina
This sounds like what happened to me. It was my ECU no.6 injector wasn't getting power. $840 later and it works. Send your **** off to injectronics through repco or Bursins
Cheers mate, pretty much resolved myself to that fact that it's gonna be costly.
Cleaned earth points today as suggested by another user, crossed my fingers and to no avail. Thanks for the reply

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well you can now rule that out. Imagine spending $1k plus on a repair only to find that some basic checks may have fixed it.

Like having low oil pressure and not checking the oil level but replacing the oil sensor and ECM to resolve it.

Get the basic stuff done first.

jayess

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina
And the under lying cause. High resistance earths that generate heat in the circuit and heat in the drivers that eventually burn them out. Replace the ECM, and guess what, the root cause is not addressed and a repeat of the fault occurs and the ECM gets the blame.
I'll have this thread open when I take it to the mechanic for possible suggestions to remedy the issue and try not to offend him by asking questions.
Bit outta my league with any further steps. Cheers mate thanks for the help

jayess

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina
Well you can now rule that out. Imagine spending $1k plus on a repair only to find that some basic checks may have fixed it.

Like having low oil pressure and not checking the oil level but replacing the oil sensor and ECM to resolve it.

Get the basic stuff done first.
Yeah pull the remaining hair that I have left, out. Hahaha
I got a blokes number today that is apparently reputable so I'll give a try.
As I said next steps are beyond me

plane driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan Alloytec
I had a similar fault on mine.
It was running lumpy on 5 cylinders but would come good after 5 minutes or so after warming up.
It was OK for about 6 months then started playing up again semi regularly so I got a basic scan tool to see what faults were showing.
It indicated cylinder 2 injector circuit fault. For some reason I neglected to check the individual resistance of each injector and assumed it was the ECM at fault as they are a known cause. So i took it to a place and had it "repaired". They didn't say there was or wasn't anything wrong with it so I naturally thought it was the problem.

It all worked OK for a month or so then began to play up again with the same fault code, but this time around it didn't come good after warming up so I was driving it for several days like that until I had time to look into it and do something with it. This time I checked the resistances of each injector and the number 2 was out of spec.

So after viewing a couple of youtubes on how to change them I did it myself. It did take a bit of messing about but it has been good ever since.
To have a mechanic do that should be no more than an hour plus parts, which in my case was only the injector as the top manifold gasket had been replaced before with a metal one so it was able to be reused unlike the original paper/card ones.
The injector was sourced from Repco for about $35.
Changing the injector is the cheaper first option I would go for.

jayess

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina
I had a similar fault on mine.
It was running lumpy on 5 cylinders but would come good after 5 minutes or so after warming up.
It was OK for about 6 months then started playing up again semi regularly so I got a basic scan tool to see what faults were showing.
It indicated cylinder 2 injector circuit fault. For some reason I neglected to check the individual resistance of each injector and assumed it was the ECM at fault as they are a known cause. So i took it to a place and had it "repaired". They didn't say there was or wasn't anything wrong with it so I naturally thought it was the problem.

It all worked OK for a month or so then began to play up again with the same fault code, but this time around it didn't come good after warming up so I was driving it for several days like that until I had time to look into it and do something with it. This time I checked the resistances of each injector and the number 2 was out of spec.

So after viewing a couple of youtubes on how to change them I did it myself. It did take a bit of messing about but it has been good ever since.
To have a mechanic do that should be no more than an hour plus parts, which in my case was only the injector as the top manifold gasket had been replaced before with a metal one so it was able to be reused unlike the original paper/card ones.
The injector was sourced from Repco for about $35.
Changing the injector is the cheaper first option I would go for.
G'day mate
Thanks for the reply. I've got it booked in on Wednesday, spoke to a mechanic and he said the injector is the first thing they'll look at and take it from there.
Fingers crossed
After some advice from people on the forum suggesting these issues aren't always necessarily the ECU and there's generally a root cause.
Its been such a good car for me, tows my tool trailer, my boat so I think I owe it some consideration.
Cheers mate thanks again

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’m thinking of getting an ultrasonic cleaner just for injectors, and bolts… and jewelry. Yes. In fact only for jewelry. That’s what I’m saying.