Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

12mm or 25mm spacer for vz

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Whats the best way to clean your runners? and im guessing a crap-load of carby cleaner and a good scrub will clear out the manifold nicely enough?
Looking into getting the 25mm myself. Sounds like it has alot more gain than the 12, altho is it really worth the $70 difference?
Theres that and the whole Strut Brace clearance issue. Iv currently got a Notalthane Brace and I'm really hesitant to go the 25mm incase it doesn't clear, havn't found any supporting evidence online to say that it does either! anyone?

Well when I did my VX I used CRC throttle body cleaner , so will use the same stuff , don't go over board with it. , the car will run a bit odd for a few seconds while the cleaner goes through the combustion chamber . As for the difference between the 2 insulators , well I'm sure more can be gained from the 25mm but Ive ordered the 12 so will stick with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MACE

Reaction score
I'm going to clean the manifold on mine as well while its off , probably even give the runners a clean if they need it , I did the throttle body when I last serviced it so that's going to be OK . Did you need to replace the manifold gaskets on yours ? , or did the gasket cement supplied do the job .
Gaskets are not required with these insulators. There was a typo on one of our online that stated that gaskets were needed, but it's not required. For an overview of the installation process, please refer to the fitting instructions in the link below.

http://www.maceengineering.com.au/W.../C0A8/D240/2EA6/ALLOYTEC_MI_INSTALLATION_.pdf

MACE

Reaction score
Whats the best way to clean your runners? and im guessing a crap-load of carby cleaner and a good scrub will clear out the manifold nicely enough?
Looking into getting the 25mm myself. Sounds like it has alot more gain than the 12, altho is it really worth the $70 difference?
Theres that and the whole Strut Brace clearance issue. Iv currently got a Notalthane Brace and I'm really hesitant to go the 25mm incase it doesn't clear, havn't found any supporting evidence online to say that it does either! anyone?

"Whats the best way to clean your runners? and im guessing a crap-load of carby cleaner and a good scrub will clear out the manifold nicely enough?"
In regards to cleaning your manifold/runners, you can use something like carby or throttle body cleaner.

"Looking into getting the 25mm myself. Sounds like it has alot more gain than the 12, altho is it really worth the $70 difference?"
There have been a number of people who have upgraded from their 12mm to 25mm manifold insulators and have been quite happy with the gains.

"Theres that and the whole Strut Brace clearance issue. Iv currently got a Notalthane Brace and I'm really hesitant to go the 25mm incase it doesn't clear, havn't found any supporting evidence online to say that it does either! anyone?" Given the number of strut braces on the market, we always recommend people take a few measurements first to verify the available clearance prior to choosing a manifold insulator for their requirements.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Steve

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fitted the insulators last night , noticeable gains down low , plus just placing hand on the manifold it's cooler after a run , as I posted on another thread , I have a infrared thermometer , I've taken some before temperature readings when cold and again after a drive , these readings have been taken in the morning over two days , and one reading after a drive in the afternoon when the ambient temp are higher , I'll take more readings with the insulators in place over this coming weekend and see if intake temperatures have dropped in the manifold. This is being done just because I'm curious and in the interests of science . Watch this space for results .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fitted the insulators last night , noticeable gains down low , plus just placing hand on the manifold it's cooler that is was after a run , as I posted on another thread , I have a infrared thermometer , I've taken some before temperature readings when cold and again after a drive , these readings have been taken in the morning over two days , and one reading after a drive in the afternoon when the ambient temp are higher , I'll take more readings with the insulators in place over this coming weekend and see if intake temperatures have dropped in the manifold. This is being done just because I'm curious and in the interests of science . Watch this space for results .

MACE

Reaction score
Fitted the insulators last night , noticeable gains down low , plus just placing hand on the manifold it's cooler after a run , as I posted on another thread , I have a infrared thermometer , I've taken some before temperature readings when cold and again after a drive , these readings have been taken in the morning over two days , and one reading after a drive in the afternoon when the ambient temp are higher , I'll take more readings with the insulators in place over this coming weekend and see if intake temperatures have dropped in the manifold. This is being done just because I'm curious and in the interests of science . Watch this space for results .

Nice, please keep us posted with your findings :)

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
So excuse my lack of knowlegde on materials but i just got my 12mm spacers and they look like the are made of wood!
I mean, they are obviously meant to be far less conductive metal but how are they made? Looks like multiple sheets compressed together.
Im not saying iv been ripped off but they are far lighter and less "metalic" than i had expected!?

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I think everyone thinks that at first glance but they are a thermal composite type plastic material from my understanding. They are really quite strong/dense and really do block the heat. I upgraded from a 12MM to a 25MM and the car feels even nicer to drive. Can get away with driving around in 6th gear everywhere haha.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey man , I'm not sure what there made of , best way to find out would be to ask Mace direct about about what they're made from .