Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2004 SV6 - 'Check Powertrain' caution

mrmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
Our 2005 Vz sv6 with 75000km on the clock had the qoute unquote !! " Drive Train" alarm appear on the dash. Had Holden dealer look at it today appears this alarm is a generic alarm with multiple meanings . Our problem is the sensor for the timing chain adjustment is saying it is past its limit. Apparently our engine may have a timing chain quality issue similar to the VE . If this is true ? That is the spin we have been given by the Holden dealer . Anyway 3 chains required and $1300 repair bill . Not quite what is was expecting !!! Any others with the same thing ?

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
3 chains required? as in all chains? i had a timing chain tensioner replaced for $1100 so i guess it sounds right for parts $$. However if one tensioner is the problem why are they replacing all three chains? i would get a second opinion if i was you.

forgot to mention, the timing chain cover off is a fairly big enough job as it is, expect big $$ anyway.

ming

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I have the same problem

It happens since the weather getting warmer. But the thing is not only the "Check Powertrain" shows on the display but also the car can't start or start in idle with engine only runs around 500rpm and lack of acceleration.

mrmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
Power train alarm

Our 2005 Vz sv6 with 75000km on the clock had the qoute unquote !! " Drive Train" alarm appear on the dash. Had Holden dealer look at it today appears this alarm is a generic alarm with multiple meanings . Our problem is the sensor for the timing chain adjustment is saying it is past its limit. Apparently our engine may have a timing chain quality issue similar to the VE . If this is true ? That is the spin we have been given by the Holden dealer . Anyway 3 chains required and $1300 repair bill . Not quite what is was expecting !!! Any others with the same thing ?

The saga continues !! Have had power train alarm again . Just 25 km after Holden dealer replace all three timing chains . Have done another scan on it and it appears the new problem is now the variable valve timing acuators . !

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
demand your money back for the labor as it was the wrong diagnosis.

Glen73

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ SS
Hi all. First post here. I read a lot here today because I had the "Check Powertrain" fault come up this week. I found out a lot with the search facility. When I started the car it came up with the fault and the traction control would also turn itself off. The idle was rough as well. It started about a week after driving through some water. I simply removed the fuse for the ECU in the fuse box under the bonnet for about a half hour. When I replaced the fuse it started and idled perfectly. Took it for a drive for about an hour and the fault has not returned. Hopefully it remains that way. Thanks to all who had posted the possible fixes or potential sources of the fault.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Sounds to me that they are taking you for a ride.. 2nd opinion would of been good as I suggested a while ago. Did it cost quite a bit or u get it under warranty??

mrmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
The saga continues !! Have had power train alarm again . Just 25 km after Holden dealer replace all three timing chains . Have done another scan on it and it appears the new problem is now the variable valve timing acuators . !
And wait there is more . I have had it looked at again by another Holden dealer and they have seen this issue once before and it was the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft had shifted causing a timing issue . So to remedy this fault either the transmission or the whole engine has to be removed ( at quite some cost) and the wheel pinned in position . Am about to contact Holden NZ and
to see how this can be a wear and tear issue!!! as I feel it is more a manufacture issue . Will be interesting to see where this goes and if they stand by their brand after all this vehicle is only 74000km old . Will keep you posted on the out come

watto1967

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
oh great, this is just what has come up on our 2005 SV6...suddenly idling very rough. Just sounds like more expense. Recently had a run in with the Holden franchaise here about the unnessary changing of rear wheel bearings which apparently should not have been replaced....$1200 later. Now this, we have had no end of problem with our SV6 over the years since we have owned it including faulty air bags, faulty brake lights, computer crapping out, vapour locks...oh yeah, and apparently stale petrol (smelt by the technicians in Mackay...geez they are good!). I love my holden with a passion but honestly after this I will not buy another.

Brett McRae

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX series 2 S-pack Auto 3.8
Happened to our vz sv6 aswell was an o2 sensor we couldn't get the car booked in for a few days it still ran fine just a bit rich which made it drink a bit more fuel