Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2004 SV6 - 'Check Powertrain' caution

Bulldog Edd

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
That happened to me just last week to my 2005 VZ SV6. I just bought the car and the next day the "check power train" message came up and I couldnt start the car (no clicking, no turning over, nothing).

Took it back to the dealer which took it to an auto electrician and he said because where the ECU sits on the engine, it over heats and fries the ECU. He said its a common problem in VZ's thats why they moved the ECU on the VE's to the back or something.

The dealer paid for the new ECU and the Holden technician to program it. Cost $1000 all up but its not from my pocket so its all good! LOL

gurt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
I have an 06 VZ ute with the "Check Powertrain" being displayed, but it also want start, it just try's to turn over (sounds like a flat battery, but isn't). So cann't take it to a repair shop. Any suggestions?

Mel225

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SV6
Hey guys. I have the check power train light on and it's only since my radiator just over heated. What's an 02 sensor do?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
O2 sensor checks the air fuel ratio in the exhaust. Try disconnecting the battery for half hour and see if the message goes away

riadh

Reaction score
Members Ride
v6
i have the same problem with my caprice 2006 ((here we call it caprice not holden)) (((check powertrain)))

knight_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
svz ute
i got this problem the other day only after fitting a full exhaust system was told by the muffler shop that i need a tune
but whats the bet its just a broken or faulty o2 sensor

ducatigirl

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN and ducati 98 SS
Today a muffler repair place repaired a moved exhaust system on my WL. the warning came up beeping.
I have had yjis same problem before.
The last time an exhaust place touched it.
Are they breaking the co2 sensors when they lift them or something?

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
how many kms are on your car? they should be changed every 120-150k kms, and depending on your car there may be 2 or 4 sensors and also if a new part was fitted some of the crap on the exhaust can apparently cause issues with the sensors

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Before you start throwing any money at it, if you are a member, call your Auto Club to attend and check the vehicle, if not any half decent workshop should be able to test the coils to see if any are faulty whilst in the vehicle - they don't need to be removed. They regularly fail and cause Check Powertrain message to appear. One faulty coil replaced less than $100.00 Good Luck.