Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

9 Tips On Installing Car Stereos

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Yeh but its just not the way the speak was designed to function. Im gonna ring somewhere tomorrow and find out lol, anyone got a 1800 number for alpine or somthing - customer service or somthing??

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
wtf?! HAHAHA

watch your speakers next time they are running. I'm sure you will see that they go forwards AND backwards...how do you think they push air out of the ports?

The only time you have a problem with reversed polarity in speakers is if you only have ONE speaker out of phase. Then the noise cancels out and you tend to notice it in the lower frequencies first.

But please, go ahead and call someone....be sure to tell us what they say :p

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
i just need toknow how to run a cable from the battry to the amp i cant find anyway of getting a wire threw the fire wall?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
find where the main power loom goes into the car. Cut a slice into the grommit with a stanley knife or the like and then feed it through slowly.

Failing that...behind the strut tower against the firewall on the passenger side there should be a grommit that you can cut the centre out of.

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
anyone got pics as that would help heaps

brentons_house

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
I pulled the rubber plug off and poked a screwdriver through and the wire came through just under the dash of the drivers side on the center console half.

EDIT:

if I get my camera working I'll take some photos

H

HC Peter Sexton

Kim,
Thank you for taking the time to write the tips.
Did you cut out the harness plug on the VS? Isn't there a smart way to leave that in and attach individual pins to the existing plug (from the new head-unit plug)?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
yes Peter, there is.

Using your cutters, strip some of the insulation back on the stock wires to reveal the copper wiring without cutting it. Like this...
middlestrip.jpg

Then wrap the new wire around the original copper wiring and then solder it in place...like this....
Solderthis.jpg

Then simply use electrical tape to wrapped tightly around the T-Splice to make insulated and protected from a short...like this...
finishedproduct.jpg

Then, grab your cutters and make a face to show off your T-Splicing proweress....like this...
12vking.jpg

girlracer

HSVLADY
Reaction score
Website
www.numberplatesforyou.co.nz
Members Ride
HSV R8 vx11
You're absoloutely right about using cheap wires. I got a cheap wire kit and it really caused head aches as I couldnt work out why the amp wouldnt work. After much checking and pulling my hair out discovered the RCA leads were faulty. It's not worth the trouble buying cheap as in the end it cost me more as i had to get an auto sparky to go over all the wiring and that was the conclusion. Great advice, I only wished I heard about it earlier.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
adox said:
Yeh but its just not the way the speak was designed to function. Im gonna ring somewhere tomorrow and find out lol, anyone got a 1800 number for alpine or somthing - customer service or somthing??

You never did tell us what happened....