Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

9 Tips On Installing Car Stereos

Milkman

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 VL Commodore
sorry if this is a dumb question but wat do u mean by unbalanced earthing between amps and head units? i only ask cause im gettin a terrible humm comin from my amped spkrs an the tone increases with revs. i own a vl so ne help on this topic would b much appreciated. I CANT LIVE WITHOUT MA MUSIC :'(

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
adox... Look up how speakers work in Google or something. Sound is waves which are pretty much equal in positive and negative, so the speaker moves equally out as it does in, so no matter which way you wire it, it will be moving the same amount both ways. The + and - are just so you wire everything the same way, the speaker is designed to work either way.

Milkman... Everything needs to have a common earth, so if one earth is slightly resistive, the power tries to follow the path of least resistance and that might mean going via the RCA's to the other device... This is bad.
Read the link below about engine noise:
http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42644
Also, do a search for "whine" or "hum", there is lots of topics about engine noise.

I just want to question number 6... As far as i've seen YELLOW is CONSTANT and RED is ACCESSORIES.

H

holty1234

i need help installing a newish stereo into a vh commodore. the original stereo is still in.

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Thanks StoneX..
holty1234, Whats your speaker configuration? (ie 1 front center with 2 rear?, 2 front and 2 rear?)

H

haynze

IM not very experienced n i was just wondering does it matter which wire goes in which hole in a wire harness for a headunit

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Depends if you want it to work or if you want a smoke machine in your car.

T

Thommo_Berlina

ALSO
dont pay dodgy places to install your prized gear, 9 times out of 10 you'll get ripped off, unless you sit there and watch them....

itsonlyme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I think one of the really good tips is test the system before you install the components back into your car.