Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS, Engine, Traction Control and Airbag Lights

noozila

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
thanks for the advice drift-it. the vehicle is a statesman indeed. when you say abs unit, you are referring to the abs module, correct? also, are abs modules interchangeable amongst all holden's? say if i had a calais with abs and trac control, could i put that onto the statesman or is the abs module specific?

thanks

Schwagn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Acclaim Wagon
My VT2 wagon has started to demonstrate the same symptoms. While driving ABS light Traction control, check engine come on. Sometimes accompanied by the oil light and "SERV ERROR" on the odo panel. I checked the alternator earth lead and it looks good. Hate to think it could be the ABS module again, it was replaced only 18 months ago!!
Fault only occurs every couple of days at the moment and the lights sometimes go out of their own accord.
Also, as I've been playing in the driveway, above 4500rpm the low trac light came on and the speedo needle quivers around 5-10kph! What the? is this normal? (trans in Park)

Last edited:

Ramsey82

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Acclaim
ABS module repair

I had problems with my ABS module, I soldered the pins in the back of it and have eliminated 2 lights on my dash, Engine light and Oil light. The ABS, and Trac Off are still on but the Trac Low is flickering for about 15 seconds then goes.
Does anyone know what this is caused by. I am not sure if the pins are soldered wrong or if the Body Control Module needs looking at.
If you know the answer please feel free to help.

dazzad99VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon V6 1999
Hi, I am having the same problem with my VT wagon: "While driving ABS light Traction control, check engine come on. Sometimes accompanied by the oil light".
I have checked the wiring and found no problems there.

Just curious if any of you guys had the same PCM fault codes I had (shorting pins 5 and 6 on the Data Link Connector (under dash). I had Fault codes 31 and 92. I looked these up and they are not related to the ABS and they are not the problem.
I understand that the ABS module could be problem as you say (Serial Data from this unit causes other unrelated faults to show, as the same Serial data line is ultimately shared through the BCM). Interesting that you say the "pins are soldered wrong" (on the ABS module). I will have a look at mine and see if this has solder problems, "Dry Solder Joints" as they are called. I have found this to be a problem on many car circuit boards. Once I cleaned off the old solder and applied new solder, all problems were fixed on most occasions with my experience. I will let you know how I go!

topdzl

Reaction score
Website
www.aghaith.com
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7
I had this problem and had to replace the abs, paid lots of money on that!!! because I couldn't find anyone who could fix it.

Good luck bro I hope you're not having the problem I had.

KegRaider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 Acclaim S2
My poor old VT Series II has this problem...well, it did until i disconnected the module a few months back......

I want to get it replaced because I miss cruise control, however, the thing stopping me is, I live in North Qld and the time taken to send the module away for 'repair' may take some time. The ebay sellers at $150 seems pretty reasonable, with 2 year warranty. We only have this car and a motorbike (the mrs won't wanna take the 1year old to the shops on the CBR600, LOL)

Can you drive the car with the entire module unbolted from the car? Does it have solenoids and stuff that need to be sealed?

gw0071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim V6
From my limited research I can now suspect that I have a cooked ABS/TRAC module.

In view of the defect being more prominent during high temps, I can only make the same conclusion as that of a couple of posts back - dreaded dry joints.

I now also believe that 'businesses' offering repaired units are merely repairing what might have been soldering of poor workmanship from the manufacturing stage.

Has anybody dismantled an ABS module and successfully made their own repairs?

If the unit is not hermetically sealed this would be quite within anybody's capability possessing an understanding of solder application.

Beats paying approx $150 and receiving a unit with an unknown history right?:surprise:

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Sorry to go digging up this thread again guys, but after searching all day thus far I havent found my exact answer I am after.

Of course the answer is to buy a new ABS module but at the price of a new one (Holden quote $900) without sending ur old one in first is ridiculous. Therefore I will be going a couple of days or more week plus likely without the module in my car, is it possible to continue driving with full part removed? The part in questions is as shown:

eGay ABS module

Also, as driving with the module fully connected, every so often the ABS lights do all their bizzo which is obviously why I want to get a new one, but the oil light comes on plus the airbags, once I disconnect the ABS module obviously the engine light and the airbags go off (which is the indication that the module has had it) The other question I have IS: Should I be driving around with it connected making the engine light go off and all that BS, or should I be driving around with it disconnected?? Only making the ABS, trac off, trac low lights come on??

Cheers for any help you can give guys...

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Cant see it will hurt leaving it disconnected for a week or so while you send yours off to get repaired. It just means your traction control and ABS will not work.

zapper-l67

LS# Eat One Today...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
After driving my car for 10 minutes today, the warning lights for abs, engine, traction control and airbag lights lit up. After letting it rest for half the day, started it back up and after 10 minutes of driving, the same warning lights re-appeared. I know I have a power steering leak but I don't think this would be causing any issues.

I plan on bringing the car to Holden but thought I would get input from JC members.

Yep you probably need to replace your ABS unit..

I had to replace the one in my VX Calais a little while back.. same problem as yours..
Apparently its very common on VT and VX
The VY unit is different and doesn't have this problem..
I got a price of Holden just for the unit $745 and **** bricks.

I found this guy on Ebay, hes awesome to deal with and the reco unit have better components fitted that wont fail in the future..
VT, VX, V6 ABS MODULE W/TRAC CONTRL C/O REPAIR SERVICE | eBay
VT, VX, V6 ABS MODULE W/TRAC CONTRL C/O REPAIR SERVICE
Item condition: Remanufactured
Price: AU $160.00
Postage: AU $12.50

Zapp