Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on tracking down family of deceased former girlfriend - NSW.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I've thought about contacting former colleagues but as I retired over eight years ago, I'm so out of touch with them, and really don't know who would know anything, that it's another dead-end.

I checked my list of family members and realised that I was off the mark when I said I thought I might have the husband's Facebook page. Whilst I do have someone with his name, I suspect he might be too young. The other contact, the one that seems more positive, is actually her older sister's husband. It would probably be much better if I can contact her through him as any question about sensitivity over old relationships wouldn't occur.

@Hertz Donut

Yes, good guessing about the ages. She was just 16 and I was just shy of 18 when our relationship started. It's not so much the fact that we were friends at that age that has me going through this. It's a couple of photos I have taken during the 1974 trip to Kyogle to attend the wedding. She looks so young, fit and lovely and has a wistful expression and pose in one pic that makes it so hard to understand how she could be gone in just over six years that has done it. Whilst we had finished our original relationship at that time, we were still friends and I know that I could have re-kindled things then and there if I'd been smart enough. Neither of us was in any relationship at that time. Opportunity lost.....And to this day, I still have a Christmas card she sent me in 1972. (As I said - I'm hopelessly sentimental. That card will never be thrown out - it's one of those keepsakes we all have at least one of).

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Have you tried birth death and marriages in her state?
A fee is involved however it is not large and that would give you the info you need wouldnt it?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Have you tried birth death and marriages in her state?
A fee is involved however it is not large and that would give you the info you need wouldnt it?

That was one of my first options and would have answered everything but the website says that they will only be provided to next of kin or someone authorised by next of kin. Unfortunately, that ain't me.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've thought about contacting former colleagues but as I retired over eight years ago, I'm so out of touch with them, and really don't know who would know anything, that it's another dead-end.

This would be a good idea.....If you can remember the name of an old colleague, or even ring your old workplace, you might get lucky....It will only become a dead end, when no one can remember her, or know where she went.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Try this site, looks like anyone can apply for the fee of 32 dollars.
Family History

Thanks Pebbs. Reasonable fee and no formal authorisation required from family members. I'll give that a shot as I think a Death Certificate might provide one or two facts I'm after.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Update time. I have ordered a full transcription of the death certificate as suggested by Pebbs. Thanks mate. It will take a few weeks to arrive via email - there appears to be quite a backlog.

The sample certificate on the website indicates the range of info these documents provide and it will answer quite a few questions for me without having to trouble family members about a particularly delicate topic. I would only need to find out what she did between 1974 and 1980.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
How did you come to know she had passed away? Do you know where she now rests?

Perhaps the best thing you could do now is join facebook yourself. That will help you keep in touch with or at least stay informed aboutwit all the remaining friends, family, ex colleagues etc etc so now more fade away into history. I've been surprised how many old friends it has reconnected me with, and i'm only half as old as you!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
How did you come to know she had passed away? Do you know where she now rests?

Perhaps the best thing you could do now is join facebook yourself. That will help you keep in touch with or at least stay informed aboutwit all the remaining friends, family, ex colleagues etc etc so now more fade away into history. I've been surprised how many old friends it has reconnected me with, and i'm only half as old as you!

I was going through some old papers in a file and found that Christmas card she had sent me way back in 1972 when we were both working in separate NSW country towns.

Wondering how she was getting on, I punched her name into Google to see if anything came up. Bang! First entry. She had been registered on an unusual genealogy site called Red1st.com. It also gave her married name, date of birth, date of death, husband's and siblings names so I had a fair bit to go with to start searching but it hasn't led to much so far.

Place of burial might be on the certificate if she was interred. Not sure about cremation though. That might have to come from the family.

I've started to think that FB might be of some personal benefit because I have drifted away from so many people who were important parts of my youth and i know are FB members because I've asked the other half to look them up.

Today might just see a new FB member.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
When I joined FB I put my settings to Private so if you are my friend you can view my account.

If I sent you my name and you typed it in to FB you can`t access my account.

I had a guy hit my VS anyway didn`t hear from him so did a search on FB he had been away everything he was telling was true so I wasn`t worried he was going to pay.
Anyway I`ll get to the point about going private while looking at his account his girlfriend`s name came up I could find out where she worked.

So your Wife may find you.
And the more people you knew and tell what you are doing the more chance you have of getting found out.

Anyway I hope you find what you are looking for.

Good luck.
Pete