Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Apprentices... How much you earning a week?

skipzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 A4
apprentice sparky
1st - $8.08ph
2nd - $9.50ph
3rd - 15.55ph
take home $500 a week as a thrid year, but i have the option of doing asmuch over time as i want with over time rates.

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
I am a light vehicle mech. Earn $7.05 an hour, work around 40-43 hours a week and get anywhere from 290-330 after tax. I do around an hour over time each day which is time and a half, and without overtime, my base rate is $267 :S
If I work Saturdays, first 3 hours is time and a half and the fourth hour is double time, so that helps alot.

VZHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
z
2nd year Apprentice sparky here

earn $390 without tax
take home $350 with tax
40 hour weeks .
saturdays i get paid $15 an hour but
still F.A
but will pay off later i guess

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
That's terrible... I have half a dozen mates who are sparky apprentices same as myself and everyone was at least $10 an hour....

Was that award rates though, or EBA?

Award rates are substantially lower than EBA (or Union) rates. I'm very thankful that I'm with a big company on EBA rates. Domestic guys on award try and tell me they learn more doing domestic work but they only say it to try and make themselves feel better about the crap pay :whistling

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
1st year was 300
2nd 400
3rd 500
4th 600. This is all for an apprentice plasterer and that is after tax before any overtime

Are you solid or wallboard? (think they call it fibrous these days?)

I'm only 16 atm but will most likely be starting an apprenticeship after year 12. Thinking of doing either plumbing, solid plastering or carpentry.
My dad's a solid plasterer, so that will be an advantage if I choose to take that path.
Electricians seem to be on the money at the moment.........but then I'm not really into electrics so meh.

But its kinda ironic, that I'm working at maccas, and get nearly 10 bucks an hour, (getting a payrise when I turn 17). But oh well, I'm fairly certain you make A LOT more once you come off apprenticeship. I usually earn in the range of $130 - $280 a week.

SwordFish

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vZ
Man you guys get bloody exploited, cmon, i was earning 11bucks an hour when i was 13! as a bloody dish pig

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
Electricians seem to be on the money at the moment.........but then I'm not really into electrics so meh.

And plumbers..

You don't have to be into "electrics" to be an electrician. It's just labour work basically, setting up support systems for your cables, running cables and knowing how to fit off the apparatus (power points/lights/switches etc.). The labour work is a hell of a lot easier than most other trades, especially plastering and carpentry, and the money is better.

Of the three things you said you are looking at getting into I'd definitely be considering plumbing the most. Work is similar to electricians (labour wise) and so is the pay. I just don't like the idea of ever working with poo (sewage).

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
Damn... What company is that?!

I'm an apprentice with the power board in QLD (Ergon) and we don't even get paid that much!

ergon suck, lol, i know the energex apprentices earn good money, which is a good thing. must be a north qld thing

im with krs electrical.