Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
Question: Whilst driving how does the speed gun in the car work whilst you drive? Does it make a noise if you pass a car speeding? Or does it tell you the speed of every car driving past?

I assume you're referring to the moving mode radar, or mobile radar. It's mounted to the car pointing forwards. It locks onto the car coming towards and calculates the other cars speed taking into account the police cars own speed. It makes a doppler radar noise as it picks up speeds. The higher the squeal, the faster the other car. It shows the other cars speed as live speed, so as they speed up and slow down it changes. All the driver has to do is lock in a speed if they're going to book someone.

Oh_Your_Blind

Green means 'Earth'!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Executive
I assume you're referring to the moving mode radar, or mobile radar. It's mounted to the car pointing forwards. It locks onto the car coming towards and calculates the other cars speed taking into account the police cars own speed. It makes a doppler radar noise as it picks up speeds. The higher the squeal, the faster the other car. It shows the other cars speed as live speed, so as they speed up and slow down it changes. All the driver has to do is lock in a speed if they're going to book someone.

Cool, ive always wondered how they did it.. now i know. Thanks man!

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Its an offence for any vehicle to pass another vehicle in the same lane. And can possibly be dealt with as a 'Manner Dangerous' offence in some circumstances (which is a criminal charge).

Being a Ex Biker, I Have heard different laws regarding in, if the traffic is Stopped, It is legal to idle up to the front, and others say its not. being a ex rider, its the safest place to be being able to get out of the traffic and since no one does head checks, its very easy for someone to cut you off or hit you as i have come close many times. Another reason why i gave riding up, i miss it so much.

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
hello there. im just wondering about the law on radar detectors?? as i have used one before, is it illegal to have one mounted on your windscreen? it detects permanent cameras and the patrol cars aswell as the radar guns, im just wondering if it is illegal to use it?

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
hello there. im just wondering about the law on radar detectors?? as i have used one before, is it illegal to have one mounted on your windscreen? it detects permanent cameras and the patrol cars aswell as the radar guns, im just wondering if it is illegal to use it?

If someone could confirm this for me. It is illegal to use them in NSW and 90% sure so are the other states but in WA you can still have a radar detector? Is this true?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
what happens if a car merges into another on the freeway and doesnt notice?

was on the eastern freeway yesterday. a 4wd cut in front of my mates toyota yaris and clipped the front of it. left a few scuff marks and a dint in the front left panel. dont think the driver of the 4wd noticed as they just continued along. we got the rego, but my mate hasnt done anything about it, as she probably doesnt know what to do about it. im guessing not a lot can be done?

i really hate morons in 4wds that dont understand how big the vehicle theyre driving really is.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
what happens if a car merges into another on the freeway and doesnt notice?

was on the eastern freeway yesterday. a 4wd cut in front of my mates toyota yaris and clipped the front of it. left a few scuff marks and a dint in the front left panel. dont think the driver of the 4wd noticed as they just continued along. we got the rego, but my mate hasnt done anything about it, as she probably doesnt know what to do about it. im guessing not a lot can be done?

i really hate morons in 4wds that dont understand how big the vehicle theyre driving really is.

It's straight out fail to give way when merging lanes.

The collision needs to be reported if anything is to be done. The police officer being reported to is able to chase down the registered owner and determine from them who was driving. Then your insurance company is able to obtain that information from our accident records section or alternatively you can sign a couple of release forms at the station and that information can be released to you.

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
this may be a stupid question but is the power to weight ratio still in place in victoria for p platers
thanks!