Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car amps

Matt Smith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
a monoblock that does 400watts at 1ohm won't do 400watts at 4ohm.

~1200watts at 1ohm would probably give about 400watts at 4ohm.

get it?

Get off the topic of 1 Ohm! I'm referring to a 4 ohm sub on a 400 watt amp at 4 ohms!

Why would i mention the impedance of a sub then state a RMS value of a amp that matches that of the sub but at a different impedance. Check my other posts regarding impedance/wattage matching. You're the only person that is having difficultly understanding what I'm posting.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
Even then, chuck in some impedance rise and a monoblock that is rated at 2000w into 1ohm will probably barely do 500watts when wired to a 4ohm sub.

Matt Smith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
So you agree that 1200 is less than 2000, and by your insistence of posting about 1200 at 1 i have to draw a conclusion that you agree with me in that being regarded as a decent amount of power. Therefore your previous comment about the requirement of a 2000 watt amp is incorrect, as stated by me, above.

All in all it doesn't matter because his sub is 2 ohm.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
You would still need an amp that does 2000watts at 1ohm to give a 4ohm sub a true 500watts.

Beav

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr commodore
Thanks guys. Hopefully have the subs heart beating again soon haha

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Get off the topic of 1 Ohm! I'm referring to a 4 ohm sub on a 400 watt amp at 4 ohms!

Why would i mention the impedance of a sub then state a RMS value of a amp that matches that of the sub but at a different impedance. Check my other posts regarding impedance/wattage matching. You're the only person that is having difficultly understanding what I'm posting.

Matt, what he's getting at is the OP might have difficulty finding an amp that puts out the sort of power he's after at 4 ohms (yes i know DVC 4ohm been established) any amp putting out 500rms @ 4ohms is going to be putting out big power @1ohm, you just don't find big mono blocks that will "just do 4 ohm"