Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dumb things you've done working on a car?

vxcp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
put fuel in my car at a petrol station with my car still going, wen i realised a **** myself lol

ve 6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
After purchasing my new VE SS, i went to put some petrol in (i always lock my car when re fueling), and i didnt know that the push in fuel cap wont open when the car is locked, i was cursing holden something chronic at the time, any way, i looked like a complete idiot trying to open the fuel cap until a lovely lady came over and told me what the problem was ..so embarrest.

Bazza

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 HSV Clubsport Z
Seems the oil change story happens to us all. I bought a used 300ZX and over the weekend decided to do an oil change. Got under the car, slipped the filter wrench around the filter and proceeded to crack the case. After numerous attempts I finally pierced the now mutilated filter with a screwdriver which finally did the trick, but after I finished removing the old filter I found I had broke the oil sending unit which was just above the filter. Do I change my oil now aymore? HELL NO.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
A couple of things......
1. Snapped the rocker cover bolt off the VB whilst changing rocker cover gasket. Screw replaced this. not too bad....
2. Was replacing an exhaust on a mazda 3 when I started car for some reason (to hear what it sounded like without a muffler) whilst it was in gear. came off axle stands, bent them, car was fine, very lucky noone was underneath!
3. Trying to change the coolant on my VX for first time when I broke a wire that went to knock sensor - had to go to mechanic.....
4. In that service the oil was changed. Did the bung up waaaaaay too tight. Simply could not get it out. Ended up using a stilson wrench that destroyed the bung into a nice round shape - had to go to a mechanic...again.....
5. Was lowering The VB onto ground when put nice dent in sill via not getting jack stand out of way. Thankfully this was before the respray!
6. Was installing chrome exaust tip onto VB when the hammer I was using to belt it on bounced off the job and hit body work. Hello PDR......
7. In painting the VB engine block, I removed the distibutor. In putting it back in would not start. Had to go to mechanic.....
8. On VB the cigarette lighter fell out (as they do...) moved auto t-bar out of way to replace item. Done. Car won't start now. Started ripping apart ignition switch on column, then realise....car is in '1'. Bravo.
9. In last VB tune up replaced all ingition parts and then spent next day trying to get car started. didn't plug in condensor lead. 'doh'

In my defence each of these errors have been committed only once, have learnt from them...

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood

that reminds me of my vs commy first time having mag wheels and got a flat replaced with spare tyre drove off car felt funny pulled over tightened the nuts again drove off still felt funny got to where i was going took off spare and i had left the spacer on from the mag wheel so it wasnt seating properly

I've also done this, felt like a tool when racv come out....

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Had the back of the old girl jacked up, I had taken the stands out, about to drop her down, I roll out reach up to pull my self up and smash, eye and forehead bang into the bottom of the towbar and ball, the thread leaves pretty lines and a black eye on your head....

Completely Rebuilt the front end, felt awesome, done a good job, no noises, drove around for a couple of weeks until it started making grinding noises, regressed wheel bearings, nothing, got home, wheel off, disc off, bearing out only to realize that the nut on the bottom ball joint was about to come off..

I don't think that would've ended pretty if she hadve dropped her guts on the road.

My old mans apprentice a few years back was told to hold each lead on a ford 6cyl to check spark, 1st gave him a big zap, next one gave him a big zap, as well as the 3rd 4th 5th and 6th leads, the dumb arse had no idea.

Run some rust converter down the back windo to get rod of some surface rust, painted it in bitumen paint, only to realize the next day that rust converter eats window rubber...... I had to re seal it.

When I was 5ish, dad had the car up bleeding brakes, I thought he said let the jack down, so I did as I was told, nice and slow, he didn't realize I was letting it down until the car had all it's weight on his hand on a concrete slab!!!
I would imagine that to be painful.

Still_On_P's

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive S1
i did that too. think mine was a vs cluster in my vp. little smoke show in the cockpit. my wife was like "is it ment to do that? i was like yea thats how you know its working....

i did the same with a vs cluster in a vp, smoked up, took it back to you pull it and just said it wasnt the same one i needed, got to get a free vp cluster :D

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Not related to cars.

Went to drain water from my pasta with a siv thing like you normally would except I was standing in the middle of the kitchen with noting under the siv

Some how forgot that water is gonna go through it haha all over the floor

Pretty stupid lnao

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I was driving home after upgrading my vp callipers one night thinking I got ripped off because there was a serious vibration. Anyway, said vibration slowly turned into a massive shuddering. I was still thinking it was the rotors or callipers at this point. When I got home and jacked it up I found I hadn't tightened my wheel nuts. Duuuuhhhhh lol.