Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home Security Cameras

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Yeah, generally speaking, outdoor/underground cable is gel filled and has a UV resistant black outer sheath, but I'd never run a cable underground without puting it in conduit anyway (white conduit for telecoms & data, orange for power).

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
When I setup the ethernet cables to the antenna outside my sparky told me there is a better cable I should have used for outdoor and water. Gel filled or something like that?

That correct. There is a gel filled cable that is intended of underground use and in water. It’s available from eBay. My sparky didn’t know about it, but I had it on hand for him.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I've been using Reolink wifi cameras at my place for 5 years now with great results (I've just bought the reolink doorbell too).

All integrate perfeclty into my Synology nas (Synology's survelliance station is epic, the mobile app is great too).

55BmpBR.png

Don't get any of the JB/harvey norman/officeworks/bunnings swann setups or propriatary stuff that means you have to use their cameras with their NVR's etc it gets messy and the software is almost always clunky.

I've got my NAS setup doing 24/7 recording with motion detection and 14 day retention. I much prefer constant recording to recording on motion.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Yeah, generally speaking, outdoor/underground cable is gel filled and has a UV resistant black outer sheath, but I'd never run a cable underground without puting it in conduit anyway (white conduit for telecoms & data, orange for power).
True but still good idea as I have water in some of my old conduits running to the gates etc

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
I've been using Reolink wifi cameras at my place for 5 years now with great results (I've just bought the reolink doorbell too).

All integrate perfeclty into my Synology nas (Synology's survelliance station is epic, the mobile app is great too).

55BmpBR.png

Don't get any of the JB/bunnings swann setups or propriatary stuff that means you have to use their cameras with their NVR's etc it gets messy and the software is almost always clunky.

I've got my NAS setup doing 24/7 recording with motion detection and 14 day retention. I much prefer constant recording to recording on motion.
There's a doorbell? Awesome. I have a RING but would like a POE. Thanks for the heads up!

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
There's a doorbell? Awesome. I have a RING but would like a POE. Thanks for the heads up!
Yeah it's awesome because it integrates with 3rd party NVR's and apps like google home/home assistant etc.

They also don't require a subscription like ring.

I won't buy any home security devices that require proprietary apps and that won't integrate with my other home security stuff, I hate having separate apps for separate devices.

Reolink does a Wifi or Poe doorbell now.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Yeah it's awesome because it integrates with 3rd party NVR's and apps like google home/home assistant etc.

They also don't require a subscription like ring.

I won't buy any home security devices that require proprietary apps and that won't integrate with my other home security stuff, I hate having separate apps for separate devices.

[/URL]

Reolink does a Wifi or Poe doorbell now.
Does it ring through the reolink app also with speak options?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Does it ring through the reolink app also with speak options?
Yep.

So the way I'll have mine setup (a mate was running me through this the other day with his)

Reo app on my phone which will give me live notifications and all the features.

24/7 recording from the doorbell camera to my Synology the same as my other 3 cameras around the property.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!

Yeah, sorry to say but in my opinion RING products are simply unusable. They have their devices all locked-down so you can't use them with anyone else's NVRs, and you can't add anyone else's devices to their system.

Plus, as mentioned, you are not only forced to pay them a subscription fee to use a product that you bought and paid for, but you are reliant on their servers for your security system to work. If they ever go belly-up you're screwed (and not in a good way)!

Let's not even go into the security issues of giving someone you don't know complete access to your security system (that's why America just banned all Hikvision products after all)!

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Yep.

So the way I'll have mine setup (a mate was running me through this the other day with his)

Reo app on my phone which will give me live notifications and all the features.

24/7 recording from the doorbell camera to my Synology the same as my other 3 cameras around the property.
ok so do you only store onsite or do you push a backup into the cloud also.