Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone considering the NG commodore after their VF?

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
It will be the best commodore ever, it's to do with the future of the way cars are evolving.
I can see we will be paying $3 a litre coming not to far away, because of all the madness being played out now with oil will be sure to come back to bite us hard in the end.
From all the new advanced tec the all wheel drive V6 should be a bloody good car, that will go like the clappers and make the V8 VF become dated and backwards.
A V6 super charged one could be on the cards down the track, it's easy done.
There is no future in making a 6.2L V8, maybe a 5.0L V8 but that 6.2L drinks like a fish and the VE-F got to big and heavy, it's a walrus !
It might be the "best commodore ever" if you're comparing appliances, but from a performance perspective it will leave a lot to be desired.
Lets not kid ourselves here, a naturally aspirated 230kw V6 cannot hold a candle to the V8, let alone make it look old and dated. Quite frankly it will be an embarrasment that this engine will be in a flagship performance model considering what we have come from. The fact that they couldn't even offer a turbo version is inexcusable and to say there is no room in the engine bay for a turbo is a joke. Why wasn't this thought of when they designed the car?
As for fuel being $3 a litre, yeah right. I have been hearing this for the last 10-15 years while the price has generally remained steady.
It wont happen, because as more electric cars and renewable energy comes onstream, the demand for oil falls... and when demand falls, so does the price.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It might be the "best commodore ever" if you're comparing appliances, but from a performance perspective it will leave a lot to be desired.
Lets not kid ourselves here, a naturally aspirated 230kw V6 cannot hold a candle to the V8, let alone make it look old and dated. Quite frankly it will be an embarrasment that this engine will be in a flagship performance model considering what we have come from.
Is the V6 actually the performance model? Isn't it the engine they're putting into it solely to "keep those whiny people in Holden happy"?

Isn't there an AWD turbo OPC-badged (probably VRX here if it exists & Holden sell it) model to come, which we know almost nothing of? If so, given weight differences & grip etc, it could be quicker than an SSV-R, albeit without nearly as much scope for mods & probably somewhat more dull to drive.

Fuel will go up, it always has, like everything. It's just been pretty static for the last 10-15 years. I believe this means it's due for another spike. Hey, it'd be good if I'm wrong ...

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Is the V6 actually the performance model? Isn't it the engine they're putting into it solely to "keep those whiny people in Holden happy"?

Isn't there an AWD turbo OPC-badged (probably VRX here if it exists & Holden sell it) model to come, which we know almost nothing of? If so, given weight differences & grip etc, it could be quicker than an SSV-R, albeit without nearly as much scope for mods & probably somewhat more dull to drive.

Holden has already confirmed that the naturally aspirated 230kw V6 will be the flagship performance engine. No turbos, no superchargers.
Lesser models will have 4 cyl turbo petrol and diesel engines.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Lets not kid ourselves here, a naturally aspirated 230kw V6 cannot hold a candle to the V8, let alone make it look old and dated. Quite frankly it will be an embarrasment that this engine will be in a flagship performance model considering what we have come from. The fact that they couldn't even offer a turbo version is inexcusable and to say there is no room in the engine bay for a turbo is a joke. Why wasn't this thought of when they designed the car?
As for fuel being $3 a litre, yeah right. I have been hearing this for the last 10-15 years while the price has generally remained steady.
It wont happen, because as more electric cars and renewable energy comes onstream, the demand for oil falls... and when demand falls, so does the price.
9 Gears in the auto could make a hell of a difference to performance.
Look at it this way the V6 commodore at 100 or 110km/h flatten it, what happens nothing much at all it's gutless as, but hey if they work the ratios right it will perform much better and it will be lighter, given the correct ratios I could see a V8 VE-F getting somewhat worried.
I would say that 1st 2ed would be much the same gearing in the new commo but look at what can be done with 9 gears keeping that 230KW in the real good part of the rev range all the time not like the crap 6sp rubbish, where it's way out of the magic mark for a time.

Think if you could have a engine performing at it's critical max performance from take off to top speed, with no gear ratios but warp drive.

There is a total war going on with oil and it's not good for the future price, many are likely to go broke the way it's going and exploration etc has stoped, so that's not good. it's good now but our dollar is low.
Australian gov has given up on making it's own fuel here and they don't want to.
What happens when where we get fuel from there currency goes up and if ours goes down even more and when they turn the oil price up or the gov tax fuel even more.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..

I'd suggest that if an industry (oil production) is being propped up for an ever diminishing market, the costs are much more likely to rise than fall

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
I'd suggest that if an industry (oil production) is being propped up for an ever diminishing market, the costs are much more likely to rise than fall

If we are talking about the long term, ie. 20-30 years then you're probably right, but I can't see anything changing anytime soon.
Remember around 2007-08 when fuel was hitting over 1.80 per litre, everyone thought it was going to hit $2-3 per litre and that it was the end of the world??? Well that all proved to be nothing but scaremongering and the price eventually dropped back to $1 per litre.
From what I've read, it isn't always in the oil companies' best interests to have high oil prices as they are essentially pricing themselves out of the market. When oil prices are high, people are pushed into developing and investing in alternative forms of energy, but having low oil prices results in people using more oil and makes investment in alternative forms of energy unviable.
Remember, the oil companies have a huge vested interest in keeping their industry going and they are hardly going to stand by and let it be taken over by alternative energy anytime soon.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
If we are talking about the long term, ie. 20-30 years then you're probably right, but I can't see anything changing anytime soon.
Remember around 2007-08 when fuel was hitting over 1.80 per litre, everyone thought it was going to hit $2-3 per litre and that it was the end of the world??? Well that all proved to be nothing but scaremongering and the price eventually dropped back to $1 per litre.
From what I've read, it isn't always in the oil companies' best interests to have high oil prices as they are essentially pricing themselves out of the market. When oil prices are high, people are pushed into developing and investing in alternative forms of energy, but having low oil prices results in people using more oil and makes investment in alternative forms of energy unviable.
Remember, the oil companies have a huge vested interest in keeping their industry going and they are hardly going to stand by and let it be taken over by alternative energy anytime soon.

I see what you're saying but they won't have the choice eventually. Companies like Tesla are paving the way for mainstream electric cars down the track (admittedly they have their own 'green issues' with batteries etc). The $2-$3 a litre issue was, as you correctly said, a scaremongering campaign during the GFC, which turned out to be nonsense. But people are looking more towards alternative energy and government will have to toe the line eventually.

While ever the vast majority of cars are ICE powered then yes, the oil industry will be rubbing their collective hands together, but to think that they will still be as dominant in ten-twenty years is wishful thinking. As soon as their consumers start to fall off in significant numbers then those left will be paying through the nose.

LMF 17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR
I might consider it based on how it compares to similar vehicles, so I'm not saying no straight out. Hell, I'd even consider an imported V6 Camry if it has the looks and performance. But in saying that it would be for a daily driver and I'd be keeping the V8 for the weekends, as that's a keeper.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
I see what you're saying but they won't have the choice eventually. Companies like Tesla are paving the way for mainstream electric cars down the track (admittedly they have their own 'green issues' with batteries etc). The $2-$3 a litre issue was, as you correctly said, a scaremongering campaign during the GFC, which turned out to be nonsense. But people are looking more towards alternative energy and government will have to toe the line eventually.

While ever the vast majority of cars are ICE powered then yes, the oil industry will be rubbing their collective hands together, but to think that they will still be as dominant in ten-twenty years is wishful thinking. As soon as their consumers start to fall off in significant numbers then those left will be paying through the nose.
Yeah, you make some valid points there tml, but I firmly believe oil is here to stay and will remain mainstream in my lifetime at least.
While electric cars have come a long way in recent times, there are still too many drawbacks for them to become mainstream. Then there is the question of trucks, heavy machinery and aviation for which there is really no alternative to oil.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for electric cars to become mainstream any time soon. Sure, there is a lot of hype, but I think a lot of it is wishful thinking.