Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone considering the NG commodore after their VF?

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Good thing you've got a few years before you have to make that choice.

Anything is possible during that time.
Too true.
What was the development lead time of VE?
Could be enough time to beautify a cadillac

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I
Too true.
What was the development lead time of VE?
Could be enough time to beautify a cadillac
Yeah, despite all the Caddys' positives, they're not the prettiest looking design are they.
You make some really interetsing and compelling points Bluey. Too bad our pollies didn't have a modicum of your pragmatism.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I believe Geely is also looking at Opel ... won't be good for Holden if they have fewer Astras & Insignias but have more Cruzes & Impalas.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If a Chinese company had any ownership of Holden I would definitely want the brand name killed off. That would be the ultimate insult.

If GM do sell off Opel it demonstrates pretty graphically what little they really think of the Holden brand name.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
If a Chinese company had any ownership of Holden I would definitely want the brand name killed off. That would be the ultimate insult.

If GM do sell off Opel it demonstrates pretty graphically what little they really think of the Holden brand name.
Geely own Volvo and they still churn out cracking cars. The ownership structure is fairly irrelevant, there's no suggestion the end product will be anything like a chery or great wall.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Different people will have different reasons for buying/not buying.

As a commercial operator, I buy and need Caprice, my previous cars were WM Caprice 6cyl. Longevity was an issue, while others focus on power or economy etc, I need a car that will work and work and last. V8. So my WN's are V8's, I will have to watch and see. A colleague has a Hyundai Genesis, similar size and luxury, but V6 only, no V8 option like offered to American buyers.
The second thing I look at is the trunk. Luggage, lots of luggage. Caprice has the biggest trunk in the business, and it's flat. Only a Ute could do better.

Here in Alice, we see lots of foreign cars being tested, most of which will never be sold here. Borgward was a recent sighting, and Geely, interesting, highly luxurious Chinese built Volvos, Geely now own Volvo. Nice cars, could definetley be considered, but... 2.4l 4cyl turbo petrol engine from Mr Bishi will NOT last. Disposable engine? Maybe. What's the downtime while a new $300 engine is fitted? How do our thought police cope with such practices, when they have been used to cars with engines never replaced, lasting longer than the body because of rust or getting bent.

If they figger a way to do a caprice style vehicle on NG platform, I may consider, but it needs SPACE, our thought police are adamant about 'luxury space', and it needs power and long term durability? Will it last a MILLION Km? A well serviced V8 will...

I admit to not liking Falcons, but there's plenty out there that have clocked the speedo because of the basic durable design of their tractor engine that never gets cold and is serviced often
I have seen many a 4cyl do over 400,000KM and 6 cyl without being touched.
I thought my 5.7L V8 would do such but it only did 220,000KM and was destroyed by a roller lifter buggering up because of the stupid plastic lifter holder.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride

I think GM are selling Opel, it doesn't really have anything to do with Holden; apart from Holden no longer being able to sell the decent cars (Opels) and having to sell exclusively rubbish (Cruze, Captiva, Impala, Barina, whatever) instead.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
GM are looking to offload a manufacturing division that is losing money. If they can't turn it around, makes perfect corporate sense.

If Holden, as a retail brand, makes money then I can't see why they would offload it, although stranger things have and do happen.

If that retail brand loses money, and with a line up of meh cars it is likely, then watch this space.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
GM are looking to offload a manufacturing division that is losing money. If they can't turn it around, makes perfect corporate sense.
Wonder how much they've factored the fact that Opel designs everything for them, in this fire-sale?
Bunch of US FWD slugs are old Opels, everything from Korea is an old Opel.
I guess they could keep using old Opel platforms.