Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ls1/gen3 strocker kits????????

VYBR8R

VYBR8NV8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute 5.7/A4
Very vaild point VYBR8R. I currently have a new L98 crate motor (last one) which we will sell for $5900 which includes a comp cams camshaft, dual valve spring kit , manley push rods and dual timing chain installed ready to go! or $4400 std . I would take the L98 over the ls3 and if i was going to race a bit a 408.

thanks mate, hell at that price i might be interested :) what duration camshaft are you running in it and what kind of horsepower is it making?? :yeah:

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
vybr8r, i was looking at about the 15k mark doing as much of the work myself as i can and getting parts at trade being in the trade, bassicly i'll strip the engine right down (try to eliminate as much labour costs as i can) and give the bare block to a engine building/machine shop to put the crank,rods, pistons in, so the bottom end, and the heads to be ported/machined and my choice of valves, springs put on them, then get the rest and put the rest of it together myself, i know getting the engine run in and tuned on an engine dyno will cost me round the 1,500-2k mark. but will buy the bits and pieces needed over the next 6-12months, so like the valves, vlave springs, the strocker kit, cam, rockers, stally for the auto, (gearbox has been rebuilt recently so ok for now), headers twin 3" exhaust, injectors, etc and then give the block and heads to the machine shop, put it together and get it dyno tuned and run in, then drop it into the car and finish of the tune on the road.

the strocker kits for $3,800 is a good price from what i understand.

VYBR8R

VYBR8NV8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute 5.7/A4
15K geez you can do alot for that much. yeah the stroker kits available all for around 4K will suit you nicely. im not sure that there would be a cost difference in machining for the different cubic capacitys. whether you would save some money just going a 383 as opposed to something the plus size of 400. ive always wanted to build one myself, although not in the trade so im just working on an old 302 ford v8 for the experience atm. if you could get a stally for good money, say $700 it would leave quite alot for motor build and tune. with that budget id seriously consider buying an LSX block and build exactly what you want, noting your future aim to supercharge. LSX's go for around $3500 for the block. you can use most of the accessories from your ls1, but you'llbe needed a bigger inlet manifold and different heads. LS7 heads going for under 2K if you hunt for em. you could probably get a package deal for all the parts and save some money there, LSX will need machining but if your patient and get good prices on all the parts you could build a 427 LSX for under 15K some food for thought. which ever way you go keep us posted on your build will be very interested to see how it ends up, good luck mate

SEPERF

Reaction score
Website
www.seperformance.com.au
Members Ride
VL LSX
I believe he paid 8k for that 408 then put in the FI cam and a set of low comp pistons ready for the turbo kit that will be installed down the track.
So when you think about it the engine is set-up for FI just not running any boost yet so 309 at the treads isnt so bad is it!
Sorry thought throught was already setup. Not bad. et heads,lunati crank etc??

thanks mate, hell at that price i might be interested :) what duration camshaft are you running in it and what kind of horsepower is it making?? :yeah:
What ever camshaft you want just let me know what you will be using it for and will do a cam to suit.

15K geez you can do alot for that much. yeah the stroker kits available all for around 4K will suit you nicely. im not sure that there would be a cost difference in machining for the different cubic capacitys. whether you would save some money just going a 383 as opposed to something the plus size of 400. ive always wanted to build one myself, although not in the trade so im just working on an old 302 ford v8 for the experience atm. if you could get a stally for good money, say $700 it would leave quite alot for motor build and tune. with that budget id seriously consider buying an LSX block and build exactly what you want, noting your future aim to supercharge. LSX's go for around $3500 for the block. you can use most of the accessories from your ls1, but you'llbe needed a bigger inlet manifold and different heads. LS7 heads going for under 2K if you hunt for em. you could probably get a package deal for all the parts and save some money there, LSX will need machining but if your patient and get good prices on all the parts you could build a 427 LSX for under 15K some food for thought. which ever way you go keep us posted on your build will be very interested to see how it ends up, good luck mate
LSX 427 - 440 SHORT BLOCK $8700 INCLUDES LSX BLOCK , COMPSTAR STROKER KIT, FULLY ASSEMBLED.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
SEPERF, i am putting a big cam in my LS1 manual, 240/244 .519 or so lift along with higgins cnc heads, cometic gaskets, etc etc. Putting in diff gears and tex clutch as well. What stroker could would you recommend? 383, 408, 427, 440? Also i've never heard of compstar... how do they compare with lunati for example? Also will an LSX 427/440 short motor bolt up to my LS1 top end without hassle?

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Just thought i'd add marranos i think do LS3 transplants with cam change for about 13k installed which i've been told would be better than a 383 ls1 stroker with cam. Check out their sponsored section on ls1 forums. What are your opinions on this guys? I went for a drive in an LS1 383 stroker with similar cam to mine and a stall, and the wheels would just spin up, so much bloody power, i just can't see an LS3 with a cam being that good although i've never been in a car with an LS3.

SEPERF

Reaction score
Website
www.seperformance.com.au
Members Ride
VL LSX
SEPERF, i am putting a big cam in my LS1 manual, 240/244 .519 or so lift along with higgins cnc heads, cometic gaskets, etc etc. Putting in diff gears and tex clutch as well. What stroker could would you recommend? 383, 408, 427, 440? Also i've never heard of compstar... how do they compare with lunati for example? Also will an LSX 427/440 short motor bolt up to my LS1 top end without hassle?

I hope that cam is .619..lol sounds like a nice combo. It all depends what you want realy. Th current trend is go big but what people dont understand is it is not cheap. A 383 stroker is a great combo , a proven combo if you alsready have the ls1 you in in frount for a start. Myself i like the 408 and lsx 427ci combos. The 408 is a good cheap way of making big power and reliable and the 427ci with the short deck blocks you cannot go wrong. People are stuck on cubes, just becouse you have cubes does not mean it is better, quick etc and when it comes to torque just remmember we are not talking bigblock here they are still a small block. You can make a 346ci motor flog a 427 if you like but you will be reving!! lol. work within a budget and a combo will work for you. The ls1 top end does bolt up BUT i would use some L92 heads or aftermarket/cnc ls1/6 heads mate. I think the 408 is up your ally. Give me a call and we will have a chat.

Just thought i'd add marranos i think do LS3 transplants with cam change for about 13k installed which i've been told would be better than a 383 ls1 stroker with cam. Check out their sponsored section on ls1 forums. What are your opinions on this guys? I went for a drive in an LS1 383 stroker with similar cam to mine and a stall, and the wheels would just spin up, so much bloody power, i just can't see an LS3 with a cam being that good although i've never been in a car with an LS3.

I have heard of marranos but i will not comment all i know is he has some ls3 crate motors . I cannot understand why people are now saying go the LS3 for 6-7k if you already have a 346 i can make a 383 stronger and better. I would go L98 or L76 at the momment rather then LS3. What do you get with a LS3 that is so special..i dont no .2 of a liter? Alot of people see ads that look cheap but im telling you now a good quality engine and accessories cost's but you will be better of in the long run.

SEPERF

Reaction score
Website
www.seperformance.com.au
Members Ride
VL LSX
their is a guy with a 346ci VT in melbourne that has a project going to see if he can run 11 seconds for for 10k that includes buying the car! he picked the the car up for 5k i think. He will be running a cam of mine for r&d . I have sold him parts at near normal pricing plus he has been getting second hand parts and using ebay so people get a true indication. He will be doing runs stage by stage. The can is 238/242 .612 bit big for stock setup but as it goes along we will see. I will keep you posted . i predict with that cam a LS6 intake,headers and 3500-4000 stall 11's straight up....we will see

SEPERF

Reaction score
Website
www.seperformance.com.au
Members Ride
VL LSX

Compstar are done by Callies crankshaft ( forged in china with machining by callies)to compete against eagle and scat. The best budget crankshaft on the market. Lunati is a top end crank that i would only use for all out racing and even then i would use a callies dragonslayer or magnum.

Callies Performance Products

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
I hope that cam is .619..lol sounds like a nice combo. It all depends what you want realy. Th current trend is go big but what people dont understand is it is not cheap. A 383 stroker is a great combo , a proven combo if you alsready have the ls1 you in in frount for a start. Myself i like the 408 and lsx 427ci combos. The 408 is a good cheap way of making big power and reliable and the 427ci with the short deck blocks you cannot go wrong. People are stuck on cubes, just becouse you have cubes does not mean it is better, quick etc and when it comes to torque just remmember we are not talking bigblock here they are still a small block. You can make a 346ci motor flog a 427 if you like but you will be reving!! lol. work within a budget and a combo will work for you. The ls1 top end does bolt up BUT i would use some L92 heads or aftermarket/cnc ls1/6 heads mate. I think the 408 is up your ally. Give me a call and we will have a chat.

Yeah i understand what your saying. 383ci is easy and the LS1 block will be okay but any bigger i believe you require an LS2 or similar block. If i stroke it down the track i will probably put a 408ci or bigger with LSX block, hopefully that will work together with my cam and heads nicely. Also yes i think the lift is about .619, my bad. Mate what is your opinion on a cam this size for a daily driver? The majority of people here on JC and people on LS1 forums reckon it is going to be a real bitch to drive especially low rpm driving. Also should i change rod bolts when i do it? This is what i'm doing....

- Custom Grind Comp Cam 240/244
- Higgins CNC ported heads (not shaved for PV clearance)
- Comp Double Valve Springs,
- Chrome Moly Retainers
- Comp Heavy Duty Pushrods
- Cometic Head Gaskets
- ARP Head Bolts
- 25% U/drive Pulley
- Double Row Timing Chain
- Belts

Will add twin 3" di filippo system and 92mm t/b and manifold as well.

I have heard of marranos but i will not comment all i know is he has some ls3 crate motors . I cannot understand why people are now saying go the LS3 for 6-7k if you already have a 346 i can make a 383 stronger and better. I would go L98 or L76 at the momment rather then LS3. What do you get with a LS3 that is so special..i dont no .2 of a liter? Alot of people see ads that look cheap but im telling you now a good quality engine and accessories cost's but you will be better of in the long run.

I don't understand either, for the cost of it you could cam+head and stroke your LS1 with forged pistons, rods, crank and for a little extra LSX block and would give you a stronger more reliable motor which i would have thought would give more power too as a 383ci.

Compstar are done by Callies crankshaft ( forged in china with machining by callies)to compete against eagle and scat. The best budget crankshaft on the market. Lunati is a top end crank that i would only use for all out racing and even then i would use a callies dragonslayer or magnum.

Callies Performance Products

Okay thanks for clearing that up. Is Compstar a cheaper alternative to Callies? Or is Callies made in china too?