Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need help with tensioner pulley!!!

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
i was doing my underdrive pulley just before, got it all off sweet as and new one on, then i went to do my idle and tensioner pulleys. i didnt really look up how to do it i just went for it because it shouldnt be that hard a job. well now my tensioner springs came out and it wont go back it what so ever, ive tried tapping it in with a hammer and spinning it around and nothing happens it just gets caught on the bit of spring that sticks out. cant find anything online at all and hoping someone on here can give me some advice. it fits fine into the tensioner bit where the bearing sits below, but getting it into the bit thats attached to the engine just wont happen, ill leave some photos down too, and help would really be appreciated, cheers.
1694773126230.png
1694773131390.png
1694773134639.png
1694773138161.png

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
i was doing my underdrive pulley just before, got it all off sweet as and new one on, then i went to do my idle and tensioner pulleys. i didnt really look up how to do it i just went for it because it shouldnt be that hard a job. well now my tensioner springs came out and it wont go back it what so ever, ive tried tapping it in with a hammer and spinning it around and nothing happens it just gets caught on the bit of spring that sticks out. cant find anything online at all and hoping someone on here can give me some advice. it fits fine into the tensioner bit where the bearing sits below, but getting it into the bit thats attached to the engine just wont happen, ill leave some photos down too, and help would really be appreciated, cheers.
View attachment 257424View attachment 257425View attachment 257426View attachment 257427
by the way i know i did it the wrong way, but whats done is done and cant really change it

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What in the fuurk were you trying to do to your tensioner? I think you have let the smoke out LoL if you know what I mean. So I suggest you go and buy a whole new tensioner and put that on with no more stuffing around.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
What in the fuurk were you trying to do to your tensioner? I think you have let the smoke out LoL if you know what I mean. So I suggest you go and buy a whole new tensioner and put that on with no more stuffing around.
i thought that was how you took it off wasnt really paying attention, and yeah now the spring wont go back in. and do you reckon i would need to or is there any other way to get it back in?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
i thought that was how you took it off wasnt really paying attention, and yeah now the spring wont go back in. and do you reckon i would need to or is there any other way to get it back in?
Never seen one broken in half like that so not sure. How did you get it to open up like that? If it has some kind of catch to hold it closed again maybe you can squeeze it in a vice or something and line up the slots and lock it?
More photos of both sides would help

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
that central piece is broken from the alloy best to get a new one, they are loaded with alot of tension, some have a sealant or edge on them and undoing the bolt can destroy the center and brake them, i found that out on my cruze one time wanting to just replace the bearing

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Never seen one broken in half like that so not sure. How did you get it to open up like that? If it has some kind of catch to hold it closed again maybe you can squeeze it in a vice or something and line up the slots and lock it?
More photos of both sides would help
i took that bolt in the middle out, and i saw a gap inbetween those to pieces, and generally when theres a tiny gap my go to is a chisel and a hammer, and it split apart, i dont think its broken because it should be a serviceable part, but not too sure on how to get the spring in there, maybe i can sqeeze the sizes of it?

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
that central piece is broken from the alloy best to get a new one, they are loaded with alot of tension, some have a sealant or edge on them and undoing the bolt can destroy the center and brake them, i found that out on my cruze one time wanting to just replace the bearing
oh true so is there no way of getting it back together then?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i can just make out in the pics that the center is split apart with the uneven fresh surface, it may have even been pressed in center into the bearing maby so forcing it apart has cracked the alloy, i dont think u would be able to get it back together and in a working way that would last, most of the time if the spring is out the way it is held in under tension has broken also

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
It’s fire trucked,
Don’t waste you time,
Time for a new one.