Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need help with tensioner pulley!!!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
got it out mate turns out i was levering on the wrong spot, i was levering just off the pulley, i was supposed to lever off the pump itself, just got the bolt out barley, but yeah looks a bit rooted, and in the centre of it it looks like its just ripped it straight off, weird how a tap of a hammer and a screwdriver can do that, didnt even hit it hard.
View attachment 257432View attachment 257433
Be very gentle with pulleys. They're supposed to be perfectly round NOT oval, square, triangle, or look like a bashed crab because they will spin like **** if they're damaged.
You think you are going to fix a broken tensioner? Well I hope you had no plans for the weekend, except for a nice tow truck ride maybe ;)
Repco has 20% off today if you're in racq I think??

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
@greenacc

I thought of the exact same thing,
A tow truck when the old re-assembled pulley falls apart out the BFN, at the most inconvenient time,
And/or on the way to work.
Then the whole thing needs to be done twice.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
got it out mate turns out i was levering on the wrong spot, i was levering just off the pulley, i was supposed to lever off the pump itself, just got the bolt out barley, but yeah looks a bit rooted, and in the centre of it it looks like its just ripped it straight off, weird how a tap of a hammer and a screwdriver can do that, didnt even hit it hard.
View attachment 257432View attachment 257433
Hope the power steering pump puller isn’t damaged, if it is, possible throw a belt.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
*update*
i bought a new tensioner at online auto parts and everything went in pretty well, the belt was a c*nt to get on, had to just slip it under the idler pulley, and just got it on. the tensioner barley moved back because of how short the belt was. but yeah she runs sweet as, hopefully i dont see a belt in my rear view mirror when im driving

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
*update*
i bought a new tensioner at online auto parts and everything went in pretty well, the belt was a c*nt to get on, had to just slip it under the idler pulley, and just got it on. the tensioner barley moved back because of how short the belt was. but yeah she runs sweet as, hopefully i dont see a belt in my rear view mirror when im driving
Good job. Glad to hear it's sorted without the assistance of the tow truck :)
If you want to save yourself the headache next time you could ask on here for tips on the next job you're going to do before you start pulling things off. The VE is not all that complicated as long as you go about each job the right way.
But they're not made of cast iron like the old ones so it's a lot easier to really fkuck things up and cause yourself big issues if you get it wrong. And maybe lock the chisel away LoL. Chisels are for demolishing old bathrooms LoL.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Good job. Glad to hear it's sorted without the assistance of the tow truck :)
If you want to save yourself the headache next time you could ask on here for tips on the next job you're going to do before you start pulling things off. The VE is not all that complicated as long as you go about each job the right way.
But they're not made of cast iron like the old ones so it's a lot easier to really fkuck things up and cause yourself big issues if you get it wrong. And maybe lock the chisel away LoL. Chisels are for demolishing old bathrooms LoL.
yeah me too haha and yeah i really need to take a look at something before a start hammering away lol. but yeah just a learning experience, best way to learn is to make mistakes, to an extent lol

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
yeah me too haha and yeah i really need to take a look at something before a start hammering away lol. but yeah just a learning experience, best way to learn is to make mistakes, to an extent lol
Tell me about it, I also learned most things the hard way but I was also lucky to have some great old blokes to teach me in the beginning too. So make the most of all the old blokes on the forum. I should really do the same and ask more questions.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Tell me about it, I also learned most things the hard way but I was also lucky to have some great old blokes to teach me in the beginning too. So make the most of all the old blokes on the forum. I should really do the same and ask more questions.
yeah i work at hart transmissions and ive learned heaps, i know most apprentices just get put on oil changes and wash up for the whole day. but yeah man i will i generally like to ask questions and learn and see what people have to say, and learn different ways instead of just one way

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
yeah i work at hart transmissions and ive learned heaps, i know most apprentices just get put on oil changes and wash up for the whole day. but yeah man i will i generally like to ask questions and learn and see what people have to say, and learn different ways instead of just one way
Oh sweet a transmission bloke. We need more of them.
Any secrets you have learned about the commodore 6 speed auto? They seem to be on the weak side.