Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New speakers static noise when on pause or volume 0?

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
If somebody decided to muck with their capacitor in their audio system. there is potentially to kill you.
still unlikely, but incorrectly disconnecting and amp may shock you if you were to have you hand near a terminal. (amps have coils)

Now I know if these were to give you a shock that its far more that 12v, but they are plumbed into a 12v system.

now you're just talking nonsense :rofl2:

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II
Do you have a Pioneer head unit?
yes it is a pioneer headunit, whys that?
i am wanting to upgrade to an alpine one or something different at a later stage (one what works with my power antenna)

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I think that was talked about earlier on.. hard to tell though.
I quickly scanned the thread and couldn't see anything.

yes it is a pioneer headunit, whys that?
i am wanting to upgrade to an alpine one or something different at a later stage (one what works with my power antenna)
Pioneer head units have a small internal fuse which can blow if the installer connects the RCAs while the unit has power. It was very common for a few years but the last couple of years models seem a bit more resilient. If you're able to slide the head unit out, it's quite easy to check for this. Instructions below:
- Slide head unit out but leave all wiring connected (if possible)
- Get a piece of wire with both ends bare
- Touch one end of the wire to the chassis of the head unit
- Touch the other end to the outer ring (ground) of the RCA socket (with the RCA leads still plugged in)
- Get someone else to start the car and then see if the noise has gone

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II

Pioneer head units have a small internal fuse which can blow if the installer connects the RCAs while the unit has power. It was very common for a few years but the last couple of years models seem a bit more resilient. If you're able to slide the head unit out, it's quite easy to check for this. Instructions below:
- Touch the other end to the outer ring (ground) of the RCA socket (with the RCA leads still plugged in)
thanks but im not sure if that would solve it or not as it doesn't always make the noise very loud if at all when first starting the car up, probably is just that the rca cables are touching all the other cables on the amp?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
RCA's near power cables makes the exact same noise as a blown RCA fuse or a poorly grounded head unit or poorly grounded amp... So how do you know it couldn't be that? :hmmm:

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II

Actually now that i have a closer look the RCA cables actually arent running with the other wires, i was getting confused with a different blue cord which is for something else, the rca cables are running into the rear of the seat under the amp and the other wires are running through the right hand side, so maybe you could be right unless the rca cables are touching the other wires where i cannot see

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
If the RCAs aren't next to the power wires then it is a grounding issue. Follow the steps that StoneX posted.

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II
When i put my ear to the rear speakers what arent hooked up to the amp im fairly sure i could hear the static coming from them as well, would that fuse in the headunit cause the rear speakers what arent hooked up to the amp to static as well?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Nah, the fuse would only affect speakers powered by the external amplifier. If speakers running directly from the head unit have any whine, it's usually the head unit grounding.

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II
Nah, the fuse would only affect speakers powered by the external amplifier. If speakers running directly from the head unit have any whine, it's usually the head unit grounding.
ok so if its head unit ground does that make the speakers off the amp do it too? if this is the case how is it fixed?
thanks