Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P platers doing 90

P and L platers. speed limit or not?

• P and L platers can go the posted speed limit

Votes: 40 42.6%
  • P platers can go speed limit but L platers stick to 80 or 90

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • Its good how it is

Votes: 30 31.9%

• Total voters

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
There was a learner on the M1 drivin' 110 in a 100 zone whilst the instructor was asleep the other day. Madness.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
But still thats a lot of driving in the city for some people

just think if the family has to go to see some1 in another town along a highway, its a good chance for an L-plater to rack up some hours

So...thats their problem...not mine :p It still has no effect on me.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I'm divided, it is good because it keeps everything to a safe speed. In unfavourable weather conditions, unpredictable events etc, a slower speed is a safer speed, all drivers should slow down, but the truth is L's and P's don't know how to react to these things yet, as they are not used to traffic and weather etc. Don't take offence guys, you's aren't.

However, it also brings the problem that on a highway, coming across a slow moving car is dangerous. If its single lane especially, dual lanes etc it should be okay.

Touchy spot. But I think it is fine how it is.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
In South Australia, P platers are only allowed to do 100km/h and L platers are limited to 80km/h.

If you are on your L's and limited to 80km/h you shouldnt be in a 110 or 100 zone. You should learn how to drive, how a car reacts at normal speeds and get some experience before driving at higher speeds like that, especially in older cars.

So you'd prefer that P-platers first experience of high speeds be on their own, after having done a year of driving at rediculously slow speeds? And people wonder why so many P-platers die on the roads. They get their license thinking "woohoo! I'm fully qualified to drive on my own!" get out there, exceed the limits of their skills and cark it.

Fact is the skills taught in the current licensing system are not sufficient to keep kids alive, hell only reason I know how to deal with the tail slipping out (it can happen in the course of everyday driving, oil is a bitch) is because I watched my ******** mates learning the hard way. The current system does not teach even basic car control skills, the rediculous speed limits are just another irritation. The supervisor should set those limits and gradually raise them as the L-plater gains experience.

On another note, the supervisor should also advise the learner to pull the **** over and let the queue of traffic behind them past if they're doing 70-80 odd in a 100 zone. An L-plater sitting there with a queue of 40 cars behind them is just dumb when it's so easy to avoid.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Some things in VIC suck ballz but I can at least say I can do the speed limit:p
AirStrike :air:

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
hmmm its interesting how the poll is even

since here in sa they have brought in p1's and p2's, they mightas well bring in L1's and L2's, have to stay on L1's for 1 month and not exceed 80, L2's for the rest of the L plate time and allowed to do 90, P1's stay how it is and allowed to do 100 then P2's can do full posted speed limit

that way the move would be a lot more gradual, and im sure most of you would agree, jumping 10 k's would be much better than a 20 k jump

L1's should have green plates or something, maybe should have to be on P1's for at least a year or when you turn 18, whatever is longer, and maybe no plates needed for P2's? that way we wouldnt keep getting pulled over soo much

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
hmmm its interesting how the poll is even

since here in sa they have brought in p1's and p2's, they mightas well bring in L1's and L2's, have to stay on L1's for 1 month and not exceed 80, L2's for the rest of the L plate time and allowed to do 90, P1's stay how it is and allowed to do 100 then P2's can do full posted speed limit

that way the move would be a lot more gradual, and im sure most of you would agree, jumping 10 k's would be much better than a 20 k jump

L1's should have green plates or something, maybe should have to be on P1's for at least a year or when you turn 18, whatever is longer, and maybe no plates needed for P2's? that way we wouldnt keep getting pulled over soo much

Or instead of making the system even more needlessly complicated, parents/other instructors could take a little more responsibility for the process of teaching kids how to drive and lay down the rules as to when the learner should start going a bit faster. Unfortunately that sort of thinking doesn't go down so well with the vast majority of parents in this country, because it makes the process more difficult for them, and if the kid still goes out and totals themself anyway they can't blame an ineffective system anymore.

bassmansimon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S 5 speed
the idea of p platers in nsw only being able to drive at 90kmh to reduce the death toll is rediculous.

ok i'm not pro-speed for p-platers. im not on my p plates, so i have no hidden agenda.

but i think that we all know that all of those young kids who die in car accidents related to speed are NOT doing only 90kmh.

if these kids are driving at 150kmh, they're going to do it whether the speed limit is 110, 100, 90, whatever. they don't care. legality doesn't enter into it.

it's common sense we need to be teaching l and p plate drivers. 90 or 110 kmh, either one is fast enough to kill you, but reducing the speed limit by 20kph will not stop deaths.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
So you'd prefer that P-platers first experience of high speeds be on their own, after having done a year of driving at rediculously slow speeds? And people wonder why so many P-platers die on the roads. They get their license thinking "woohoo! I'm fully qualified to drive on my own!" get out there, exceed the limits of their skills and cark it.

I couldnt agree more with the rest of your post so i'll only reply to the above section.

80km/h isn't ridiculously slow in my opinion. I believe learners should gain as much experience as they can in 80km/h zones before moving on to 100km/h...

But the way I see it, although its a jump of 20km/h, 100k zones are generally a safer road than that of 80k zones.... Hence the higher speed limit. Whether they drive 80 through the hills such as around the adelaide hills where I live, or 80 in other zones, they get the chance to gain experience of not only doing 80km/h but also takin corners at higher speeds. There are very very few 100k zones with sharp turns, more long and sweeping bends which are much easier to negotiate. But driving at higher speeds, especially in older cars (NOT learner driver cars) which can be unstable at these speeds, should require sufficient experience.

I agree that their first time at these speeds shouldnt be on their own, but it shouldnt be their first time on the road either. The problem is this cannot be regulated, and most learners will be jumping at the chance to get into a 100k zone early on and unfortunately they often will, often without the driving experience that I think should be gained prior and often with just a fully licensed driver, NOT a fully licensed driving INSTRUCTOR. Theres a ridiculous amount of people out there who CANNOT drive to save themselves at these speeds, and the idea that they could be teaching young kids how to drive anywhere, let alone at high speeds, is frightening.

They should ONLY be allowed to do 100km/h in the company of a fully licensed driving INSTRUCTOR. This way they are driving with someone who is qualified to teach them how to drive at these speeds, and in a car that also gives the driving instructor some control in case of emergencies (they generally have a brake and accelerator on the passenger side of the vehicle also).