Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P platers doing 90

P and L platers. speed limit or not?

• P and L platers can go the posted speed limit

Votes: 40 42.6%
  • P platers can go speed limit but L platers stick to 80 or 90

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • Its good how it is

Votes: 30 31.9%

• Total voters

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Someone said that L plater's are required to do 50 hour's of driving before they can obtain there p plates. In nsw you now have to complete 120 hour's to get your p plate's, what next? 10 year's time you will have to be on your L plate's for 3 year's and be required to do 300+ hour's... And the stupid thing is it's to easy to put fake hour's in your log book eg. I did around 30 genuine hour's and added 20 fake hour's so i could go for my P's.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
In canberra i dont even think you have to do near 50 hours before you get Ps. Infact im pretty sure you can walk in whenever you want and do a one off test and if you pass you get your Ps. thats how some of my friends did it. You can go from Ls to Ps in one hour. Dont need to record how many hours you drive or anything. Or if you did you could just write anything down anyway.

We have a log book system aswell and everytime you complete a section you get stamped off till you complete all the sections and then you can walk in and get your Ps. There is only a minimum of 6 lesons which is only 6 hours. so it is posible to do it in 6 hours. I ended up completing the log book in 7 lesons. You dont get to drive in a 100 zone till you complete most of the logbook and the instructor feels like your ready for it.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
In nsw the system is l platers 80 p1 90 p2 100. I think is ok in theory, but in practise well theres stuff all roads around here that are speed limited at more than 90ks so its not that bad, the ones that are higher limits are motorways and lots of p platers just take their plates off and do 110 anyway. It makes it too easy for p platers to have the attitude thats its ok to speed. I do think it needs to change, waiting a minimum of 4 years before you can do 110 is a bit eccessive.

However I don't think it would be good to have learners who have only ever done 80 getting their licence then doing 110 the next day.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
sorry but 120 hours is bullcrap in NSW, it can not be elected until well into next year as parliament only has something like 2 sittings till next year and both have things on the agenda, read it in the newspapers 2 weeks ago

120 hours, legally, can't be brought in till atleast next april

i did 102 genuine hours over 11 months :)

was paying 60 dollars an hour and a half for my driving lessons, once a week for like..... 50 of my hours, because my dad was an asswipe, but then i drove the Ford and learnt for another 50 :)

L platers should do 150 hours in my opinion, there are so many dumb-fuks out there.... can't imply number of hours per individual, unfortunatly.
but the first 3 people before me on the P's test all failed, one went through a bus lane, lmfao

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
yeah well iam a l plater and as coolvncommodore said at times when i am in vic driving at the speed limit 100 kmh i get people drive around me tooting horns and shouting and waving because iam suposably in their way

my mum and dad said when they got their l's/ p's what ever they were speed limited to i think 80 or 90 and they said this was later removed as in victoria it was proven to cause more accidents than it was with out it so i really needs to remain as it is

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
yeah well iam a l plater and as coolvncommodore said at times when i am in vic driving at the speed limit 100 kmh i get people drive around me tooting horns and shouting and waving because iam suposably in their way

my mum and dad said when they got their l's/ p's what ever they were speed limited to i think 80 or 90 and they said this was later removed as in victoria it was proven to cause more accidents than it was with out it so i really needs to remain as it is

If you are in their way... Then pull over and let them pass and ALWAYS stick to the left lane unless overtaking.

You should only be allowed to drive at 100km/h when you are with a licensed driving instructor. At other times you should keep off 100km/h roads imho.

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
well i guess im lucky to be in QLD i can go the speed limit on L's and P's.

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
vn2nv mate in victoria there is no roads to my knowledge that go over 100 our limits are 100 so technically i am not in their way. either way if rules come in saying i must do 80 or 90 or anything under the posted speed limit well i guess the cops can fine me for litering as well because i am throwing my p plates out the window and doing the posted speed limit instead

and if i was to be made do say 90 which is 10 under limit and i was in poeples way and did what you said to do if i was in peoples way i would be 15 minutes slower everyday to work, tryed it one day at 90 to see the difference because we have single lanes in my area everywhere and i have to drive on the main highway to get to work so shiteloads of traffic at 100 and me in the way at 90, see my point

Last edited:

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
I think that learner drivers need to experience 100 or 110 km/h (whatever applicable limit is for piece of highway/freeway/motorway) sustained speed runs at some stage during the learning process, perhaps once they reach 'x' amount of hours of driving on other 'open' roads with an 80 km/h limit.

The current licencing systems in place are a joke, even if they are slightly stricter than they were, I had a car that wasn't suitable for a driver of my age at the time in terms of performance and power and I got most of my 'real' driving experience on the back roads around the Dandenongs in Melbourne after I had passed my licence test with a 98% pass rate, instructor just took points off for head checks as he said he had to take points off for something.

sidwayz

Smoke em!
Reaction score
Website
www.myholden.com.au
Members Ride
VP
I think P platers should have the restriction on highways. For most of my friends 100 means 110. If they were allowed to got 110 then they would go 10km/h over that aswell.

If the laws were made so that P platers had to go slower, the amount of speeding fines would rise. Making P platers look worse than there already do.