Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

pcv valve mod

ToMMMaY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina S Pac SII L67 Turbo Project
Once again, we're not builting top fueler buddy. We're talking about cars of weekend hobbist and for those applications seal catch cans are very good.

I think it's funny when people buy something and automatically thing it's the "ducks guts" too.

Thus why I installed my catch can after spending considerable time researching the concept of the product itself and then the various available brands.

Then, I didn't talk the product up until I had personally seen results using the product.

General concensus from weekend hobbists, weekend drag racers, performance shops, etc from around the world is that sealed catch cans do a fantastic job. Apparently you know better but have yet to actualy provide any evidence to show all of the above people, including my self, are wrong.

Finally, Pavtek, once again... have you looked at their site? They don't exactly build engines. They are professional engine builders and their engine are high performance.

Their engines vs the engine in the average "cheque book racers" car are chalk and cheese.

Yout posts are completely irrelevant. You may aswell start telling the OP that they should be running pure alcohol because Pavtek makes engines that run it.

I don't need to go past my "cheque book racer" stage because I'm quite happy with my engines performance. Does what I need it to so I'm not going to spend time and effort running bits recommended for a built engine on mine since there is not point.

Though I would be interested to know what you are running that is so much above and beyond the rest of us meer mortals quivering at the sight of you on your high horse?

Sorry to tell you but hes right
Stock pvc systems can only handle so much

Fair enough your talking about a N/A car
but with a boosted car especially turbo Stock pvc cant handle it
You will find Most high perfomance cars are all vented to the atmosphere

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Sorry to tell you but hes right
Stock pvc systems can only handle so much

Fair enough your talking about a N/A car
but with a boosted car especially turbo Stock pvc cant handle it
You will find Most high perfomance cars are all vented to the atmosphere

Oh, vented is definately the way to go for high performance engines.

But as I have stated several times, in the OP's case and even in my case. Vented would not give any benefits over a sealed can but is illegal. Therefore, for application relevant to this thread his comments are pointless.

Also to suggest that driving an a car harder than it is designed to be driven makes the engine a "high performance application" is ludicrous.

By that logic a P-plater that flogs the balls of his v6 every second of every day need a vented catch can moreso than I need one in a cammed LS2 driving it normally?

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. The OP hasn't posted anything and it's pointless trying to reason with the "Performance application" hero.

Last edited:

ToMMMaY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh, vented is definately the way to go for high performance engines.

But as I have stated several times, in the OP's case and even in my case. Vented would not give any benefits over a sealed can but is illegal. Therefore, for application relevant to this thread his comments are pointless.

Also to suggest that driving an a car harder than it is designed to be driven makes the engine a "high performance application" is ludicrous.

By that logic a P-plater that flogs the balls of his v6 every second of every day need a vented catch can moreso than I need one in a cammed LS2 driving it normally?

lol
understand but what isnt illegal these days catchcans can be hidden easy then vent it

im actually buying one this week
My rocker cover gaskets got blown out cause of the standard pcv system lol

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Just because there is oil in your catch can doesn't mean it works effectively haha. I'd suggest you check your intake manifold some time but I doubt you'd know how to remove it haha.

ToMMMaY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just because there is oil in your catch can doesn't mean it works effectively haha. I'd suggest you check your intake manifold some time but I doubt you'd know how to remove it haha.

You got any detailed pics of your plenum lol

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Yeah on my pc at home. Was gonna do a build thread one day but this forum frustrates me so much I doubt I will bother lol

pimpmyvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s-pac
Vent both rockers to a catch can with a filter on top. Change your oil every 5000km and no need to worry about moisture buildup. Avoid cluey police lol
yer lol, was thinking of bodgeing the rule by useing the catchcan and insted of putting a filter on top, i was thinking of re directing the gasses somewere before the cat.. but not sure if id get a vacc but the exaust would wanna pressurise it... if posible probly best way to bend that law

SuperXU6

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 VT HSV XU6
I love u guys and how do u get quotes at the bottom of your posts cause I have no fn clue

pimpmyvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s-pac
If we're assuming this is how the OP drives then a) Its safe to say performance of vented vs seal catch cans are the least of his worries and b) When he gets pulled over and is asked to pop the bonnet it would be a better idea to have a legal setup over an illegal setup don't you think?

Once again, we're not builting top fueler buddy. We're talking about cars of weekend hobbist and for those applications seal catch cans are very good.

I think it's funny when people buy something and automatically thing it's the "ducks guts" too.

Thus why I installed my catch can after spending considerable time researching the concept of the product itself and then the various available brands.

Then, I didn't talk the product up until I had personally seen results using the product.

General concensus from weekend hobbists, weekend drag racers, performance shops, etc from around the world is that sealed catch cans do a fantastic job. Apparently you know better but have yet to actualy provide any evidence to show all of the above people, including my self, are wrong.

Finally, Pavtek, once again... have you looked at their site? They don't exactly build engines. They are professional engine builders and their engine are high performance.

Their engines vs the engine in the average "cheque book racers" car are chalk and cheese.

Yout posts are completely irrelevant. You may aswell start telling the OP that they should be running pure alcohol because Pavtek makes engines that run it.

I don't need to go past my "cheque book racer" stage because I'm quite happy with my engines performance. Does what I need it to so I'm not going to spend time and effort running bits recommended for a built engine on mine since there is not point.

Though I would be interested to know what you are running that is so much above and beyond the rest of us meer mortals quivering at the sight of you on your high horse?

I love you guys.. didnt expct soo much responce over a crappy valve bahaha.. and all on the thought that its rego... it is; but couldnt giv a f.. only doing this cos its cheeper for a filter on the rocker than replace the valve.. and yes i do rev the shi out of it. handles it well tho. not bad for what ive driven, mods are 36lb injectors, adjustable fule reg, 411 diff, and now the filter, and im removeing that exaust reburner thing.. basicly weld the hole for it and remove the plug on the whats it, make it look like its still in operation(i think ill cop it worse getting caught with that off than crank vent)... cos honistly i dont care anymore, cos of the kangaroo court hoon laws, basicly if they say it was you, game over...

only really asked in first place, cos things are made a way for a reason, didnt know why it was there, now i do and thx, now i can make a decision on set up.

would like some input on running the catch can to exaust.. i get the feeling that in high horse turbs they do that for like an after burner to spool up the turbo for about a 60hp gain, in saying that there must be a way to use the exauset as a vaccume to pull the air, burn crank gasses and keep the epa happy. but how to is a diffrent story, because too much vac will cause problems and if done wrong youll get exaust pressure up to the can blablabla rear main seal

oh and also, reshapeing the intake of the plenuim for better flow, works better then a plenim spacer, not takeing it too far cos of the air flow meter.. can only pull so much past that, (plemim spacer only increrases volume so when you do crack the throttle you get a burst of air rather than a controlled flow.. dont gain any top end at all; Basically creates pipe hammer, increased volume under vacc, open throttle air wants to normalise, rushes in fills volume then air behind still wants to follow momentarlly increasing pressure.)

Last edited:

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
yer lol, was thinking of bodgeing the rule by useing the catchcan and insted of putting a filter on top, i was thinking of re directing the gasses somewere before the cat.. but not sure if id get a vacc but the exaust would wanna pressurise it... if posible probly best way to bend that law

Venting it to the exhaust has been done in the past. Overly complicated though if you ask me. You'd ideally want to designe a venturi pipe for it to use the exhaust flow to suck out the crank case fumes and have a check (basically another, larger PCV valve lol) valve to stop exhaust gasses entering the crank case. But like I said, overly complicated for what is just a little bit of fumes. Try to position the can away from the firewall if you can (mine is on the firewall basically and at rest the aircon sucks in the fumes lol).