Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

pcv valve mod

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Yeah, I should have made that clearer. A seal catch can is what he is after like the Elite Engineering one I have. Dirty air from crank case goes in, oil condenses on baffle, cleaner air goes back into intake manifold.

A sealed system that vents into the intake would be the best system all round I would think. Can't see any reason for that to be illegal.

Reaper

Beauzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy spack v6
Sooo... Are there any gains for catch cans? Steve from mace seems to think so.. And...
How do u install it to a ecotec?

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Don't even bother with a can - I used to just have the pipe venting straight to atmosphere.....

There's a pipe that attaches to the bottom of the throttle body that comes from the top of the intake manifold - put your catch can in between these two joins. Apparently oil from the pcv system is ingested by the motor and burnt through the combustion process - the presence of oil lowers the octane of the fuel and if you're picky, it can rob power that way.

Beauzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy spack v6
Oops.. Mines dual fuel and I just have the hose off anyway.. I dnt understand how it would reduce oil in the plenum wen it sucksair comin through the throttle body

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
A sealed can is pointless in a performance application. The motor won't be able to breath enough with the crank case vented back to the intake through some piss ant factory line if it is modified and raced. And it will still carry oil vapor back into the intake tract reducing octane. I've tried even fancy custom made catch cans with all the baffles and steel wool etc and they still puke into the intake and the pressure still builds up blowing the dip stick or oil seals. Their isna reason race cars vent to atmosphere, it's because it's the only way that works at those levels. So as mentioned previously it is a pointless exercise full of headaches unless you just go a vented can. Yeah it's illegal, not everyone cares about that. If you are worried about legalities then I suggest you find a different hobby.

WTF, where you you get this bullsh!t from?
If your motor has stupid amounts of blow by then its screwed,
The standard breather hose size is ok using a catch can. Even with forced induction. There is plenty of 600+ hp LS1 engines running the standard sized setups

Get either a sealed catch can to keep it legal.
OR leave the fresh air feed to the rocker cover in place, plug the PCV return line, and vent the rest out. Thats how cars ran for many years.

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Lol, experience is where I get it from. I'm over arguing with idiots.

waynethomson

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 3 ute
im still confused. also,... maybe a dumb question but, does a pcv work on a non return principle? like a crankcase check valve on an old ironhead sportster? (harley)