Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pre VE 6 Speed Auto Conversion

90TTZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS
Been thinking for a while about converting my VZ SS Crewman from the 4L65 to a 6L80 or 6L90 6 Speed Auto. In my view it is probably one of the biggest technological gaps between the VT-VZ platform and the VE/VF.

Has anybody converted a VT-VZ V8 to a 6 Speed Auto before? Can it be done?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I don't think you'd have any problems physically attaching and fitting it (maybe with some differences in tail shaft length), the problem comes down to how it's managed by the ECU and how it attaches to the VZ engine loom. I doubt the VZ ECU will be capable of managing a transmission with two extra gears, and grafting a VE ECU to work will be troublesome.

It's probably possible, but if you're asking if it will be an easy bolt in job I doubt it. A good place to start would probably be looking at the pinout diagrams of the trans you've got and what you want to replace it with.

90TTZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS
Hmmm, so sounds like no one has attempted this, or successfully done it anyway. I've heard of them being yanked from wrecked VE/VF's and put into old cars that don't require specific integration for systems like SRS and ABS etc, but to keep a VT-VZ roadworthy would be challenging to maintain that functionality.

So _R_J_K_, would you do it if it could be done?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Sure, if it was well enough documented.

SRS and ABS work independent of the ECU, so there's not really an issue there. Them being put into early birds is a complete rewire typically with the matching ECU, more project based cars.

You could do the VE/VF ECU into the VZ, but you would need to lose the factory immobiliser and possibly lose diagnostic functionality. Dash functionality would probably also be effected because so much data comes from the ECU.

90TTZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS
Looks like I may just have the only model that this could work with. The later VZ's fitted with the Gen 4 V8's use a CAN Bus system which is what the GM A6 transmissions use and the 4 speed auto trans module also communicates to the ECM via CAN. Late model VZ's use the E38 ECM, also used in VE and non supercharged VF models.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
images

So you have everything and it was plug and play?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi
This might answer some of your questions.
Take note of hRHSV for VS, down near the bottom of the article.
I found this article about 4 years ago.
Hope it helps.
I haven't done this conversion myself either.
http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/archive/index.php/t-126779.html

ps. Somebody else did the conversion & I was reading about it.
I remember the memcal had the 4 speed auto program deleted & the 6 speed auto was downloaded to it.
It was about 4 years ago too that l reading it.
I haven't been able to find that article again.

Last edited:

90TTZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS
Thanks for the thread link. So sifting through the posts it appears all but conclusive that it will physically fit with no mods if it fits in a VS. This was never a concern for me personally as I'm pretty good at metal fabrication.

Might reach out to the TrueBlueGTO guy and see how things have progressed for him since that thread was going 7 years ago.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Thanks for the thread link. So sifting through the posts it appears all but conclusive that it will physically fit with no mods if it fits in a VS. This was never a concern for me personally as I'm pretty good at metal fabrication.

Might reach out to the TrueBlueGTO guy and see how things have progressed for him since that thread was going 7 years ago.
Can you keep us posted on how the conversion goes?

90TTZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS
So after some research and shopping I decided to pull the trigger and found an LSA and 6L90e from a 2014 GTS. Supercharger had already been removed but the internals of the LSA definitely can do with a lot more than the factor 1900 S/C can throw at it, even after pulley upgrades. Came with the wiring loom, ECM, and Shifter. Plan is to install and driving naturally aspirated, then look into getting it used to being forced fed again once I'm happy with the finished product.

Now to move the package from the back to the front ;)

vouzr6.jpg