Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pre VE 6 Speed Auto Conversion

90TTZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS
It's been running really well. Took it down to Willowbank a few weeks ago and did a 14.2 which is about 4/10th quicker than it was with the 4 speed. I also did a dyno run after and the LSA in Naturally Aspirated form put out 256HP on the stock L76 tune and 270HP after I tuned it so power wise it is very similar to the L76.

So it is off the road for moment while I'm doing some some breathing modifications. Going back to forced aspiration but of the Garrett GTX variety :D

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Love this thread.
Inspirational work @9OTTZ.

I wonder how this concept would work with the similar 6L50?

For those too lazy to reflect back on the thread or do some googling, here's the link to the US business that have mastered the dark arts.
http://www.tbmsport.com/6l80gm6spdinformation.html

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thought I would give a little update...

I'm in the process of moulding in the shifter with the centre console from the VF so it has that out of the factory look and will post up pics once I'm done.

What if you use a VZ manual centre console and work the shift indicator into the plastic along side or maybe as an insert into the manual shifter space, therefore narrowing the shifter space a little?

***edit***
Don't worry. Silly thought. Looked at the pics of the VF v VZ. I think I see what you are doing there.

Last edited:

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
So no news is good news, it must be working well enough to not bother doing more.

90TTZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS
Hey everyone sorry I haven't replied for a while, there have been issues with the site's reCAPTCHA which validates real users from bots as I needed to reset my password. I got in contact with a site admin and they have switched to a different function for the moment.

As you can see the shifter turned out quite nicely. A lot of people have commented it looks factory and I suppose it kinda is ;) Just finishing off the interface board to get the tapshift working then I'll have manual control of the gears for dyno tuning.

Turbo was finished Good Friday. So far running 7 PSI and is an absolute handful when you give about 3/8 throttle! Had clocked up about 3000KM until the tail shaft CV decided it had enough and let go on Monday. Taking the tail shaft to Driveline Services tomorrow to get it replaced with a Universal which shold hold up to the level of power I'm planning on throwing at it. Overall I'm extremely happy with how it is all going, very driveable, good fuel economy with enough power to put a lot of streeters in their place. Planning on heading back to Willowbank once the tailshaft is back in situ.

IMG_5222.jpg

IMG_5366.jpg

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
one of the biggest technological gaps between the VT-VZ platform and the VE/VF.
img_5222-jpg.200012

Yes and the low position of that double din hole. (but I am not suggesting that you need to do anything about that)

90TTZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS
All being going well apart from the last 6 weeks, been dealing with a dreaded tail shaft failure. Spat the rear CV joint then after getting that replaced with a universal, spat the front CV. Had all sorts of dramas trying to get this thing sorted out as vibrations from resonance was horrendous! Anyway, big thanks to the guys at Driveline Services in Acacia Ridge. They persevered and ended up building something totally bullet proof. The centre bearing is now 13mm larger and uses a sliding spline setup with unis at both ends of the rear shaft.

Time to get the tune sorted out on the engine and see how the 1/4 mile goes with 7 pounds of boost!

pma

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 vX 2oo2 5PoiNT7 A4 WheeLie BaRS FLuFFY DiCe
Actually _R_J_K_ that's not quite correct. The system I used does not interface with the VZ CAN Bus whatsoever. The TBMSport standalone is essentially an Analogue to Digital Converter. In my conversion I have spliced the necessary wires from the standalone module into the ECM wiring harness which is common to all EFI engines going back to the 80's.

As you have indicated, the main challenge of bolting up a GM A6 to another engine apart from an LS is the bellhousing which can be manufactured or modified. The once what was thought impossible task of interfacing the A6 TCM has been opened far and wide!
... rough est/cost to put 6spd auto into vx ?